Solstice - Hair Straightening Irons Don't Work?

BurgerBits

If your SIL uses a CHI, this will not work. When I researched CHI for my future dil, using an adapter would not allow the unit to operate properly.

I'll just purchase an inexpensive straightener to take with me.

I just googled CHI hair straightener and they are only made as 110-120 volt units with NA type plugs. Using a plug adapter, which does not change or lower the voltage but simply allows you to plug into a different electrical socket or receptacle. This would allow you to plug in a dual voltage voltage unit with a NA plug into an European 240V socket. If you used this with the CHI unit you would burn it out as you would be operating a 120V iron at 240V or double it's rated voltage.

It is an converter that changes the electrical supply from a higher (240V) European voltage to a lower (120V) NA voltage or vice versa. I did see that it is not recommend to use a converter with a CHI unit for the reason you stated. It may be that because these are very low wattage (around 25) units it would be important to have the correct voltage to get the proper heat and converter don't do a exact conversion from one voltage to another. It may be that on board Solstice, the lower voltage NA plug is being supplied by a wired in converter that has a 240V input. This would eliminate having two electrical wiring systems, one for 120V and another for 240V throughout the ship. That also could be the reason for the poor performance of the hair iron if it was a very low wattage unit like a CHI unit .

Thanks Bob for the information.

It has been so long since I did my hair without a straightener. At least I know in advance that I need to find an alternative.

I just googled CHI hair straightener and they are only made as 110-120 volt units with NA type plugs. Using a plug adapter, which does not change or lower the voltage but simply allows you to plug into a different electrical socket or receptacle. This would allow you to plug in a dual voltage voltage unit with a NA plug into an European 240V socket. If you used this with the CHI unit you would burn it out as you would be operating a 120V iron at 240V or double it's rated voltage.

It is an converter that changes the electrical supply from a higher (240V) European voltage to a lower (120V) NA voltage or vice versa. I did see that it is not recommend to use a converter with a CHI unit for the reason you stated. It may be that because these are very low wattage (around 25) units it would be important to have the correct voltage to get the proper heat and converter don't do a exact conversion from one voltage to another. It may be that on board Solstice, the lower voltage NA plug is being supplied by a wired in converter that has a 240V input. This would eliminate having two electrical wiring systems, one for 120V and another for 240V throughout the ship. That also could be the reason for the poor performance of the hair iron if it was a very low wattage unit like a CHI unit .

Thanks, Bill!

Would you mind terribly telling me the make, model, and wattage of the straightener your daughter uses?? (Sorry, can't help you with her need to straighten straight hair... :D)

Dawn

Hi Dawn..I believe the make is Bed Head..I will check it out today,

Bill

Archived