Buenos Aires Tango

oilbert

My wife and I are booked on the Sun to South America. While we have the majority of problems more or less done, our TA has suggested a Tango show in BA. I can't find much information on this particular show , thus I am turning to CC members. It is called ,strangely. Buenos Aires Tango Show and has an address in the Boca district (area) While other shows have repeated mentions on numerous web sites I can find no reference to this particular show. Are there CC members who can comment on the show and the meal and on just about anything else with this performance ?:confused:

Thank you :D

Is this tango show known by any other name? What is the address for it? I tried googling the name you gave and didn't come up with anything other than a tour with that same name. Do you have a link for the tango show or for where you learned about it?

Won't the ship offer a shore event to a tango show?

There are so many, you shouldn't worry. If there is one with dinner separate from the show, take that one. IMHO, the food is not worth it and dinner is rushed to get everyone served and tables cleared. Eat before or after, if possible.

Paying a premium for a ship excursion to a tango show is unwise and unnecessary. Besides the ship would probably send you to Senor Tango, one of the biggest, but worst venues, in BA.

I have an apt in BA and am somewhat familiar with tango shows there. For a good evening out I would recommend Madero Tango, the show only ( that part of JaneBP's advice is sound). The cost of the Madero Tango show depends on the seating status: standard, executive, VIP. The standard entry will get you a decent table and the price should be about 110 pesos which if you pay in cash will be $27 pp (they give 4 pesos to the US$), slightly higher if you pay with plastic.

The restaurant, "1880", in the 1500 block of Av Defensa in San Telmo is 5 minutes away from Madero Tango by cab ($4). 1880 is a charming, classic neighborhood parilla where you can eat wonderfully for $25 pp including wine and then be at the show in a jiffy.

I'd guess that a ship package to a place like Senor Tango would cost you upwards of $150 and you won't get as nearly as good a meal or show.

Peregrina651 Thank you for trying. It sounds like you ran into the same wall I did .There is a Boca Tango at Brandren 923 La Boca , but I can't find enough information to determine if this is the same one our TA found . I think we will likely pass on this particular show and try another. Since we are leaving from Buenos Aires NCL doesnot offer tours we like or at prices we like.

To Owl61 thank you - In my google activity I found some shows we may be interested in - El Queranda or La Ventana and a third that seemed to have reasonable reviews - Che Tango .What is your opinion ?

We are staying at the Marriotte (I can't spell that name ) and would like a show with transportation to and from that hotel. We are on a long day tour that day and unlikely to get back to the hotel until 5:30 or 6. So resting and then going out to eat and then to a tango show could be a rush, so even if the meal and service are not particularly wonderful, for convenience we will likely eat at the Tango show .Thanks to everyone

To Owl61 thank you - In my google activity I found some shows we may be interested in - El Queranda or La Ventana and a third that seemed to have reasonable reviews - Che Tango .What is your opinion ?

We are staying at the Marriotte (I can't spell that name ) and would like a show with transportation to and from that hotel. We are on a long day tour that day and unlikely to get back to the hotel until 5:30 or 6. So resting and then going out to eat and then to a tango show could be a rush, so even if the meal and service are not particularly wonderful, for convenience we will likely eat at the Tango show .Thanks to everyone

My opinion?

It has been 3 years since I saw the El Querandi show and dined there. I thought the tango show and the meal were really bad. Reviews on tripadvisor lead me to believe it has not improved. The La Ventana show is probably okay. I last saw it a couple years ago. The shows that get the highest marks are La Esquina de Carlos Gardel in Alabasto and Riojo Tango at/near the Faena Hotel in Puerto Madero. If you are asking for my opinion I would do the Madero Tango and 1880 restaurant combo described in my prior post. It's a great show and a great restaurant 5 minutes from the theatre (by the way the correct address for 1880 is 1655 Av Defensa).

I don't know where your hotel is located, but trust me, you don't need to prearrange transportation to the show. Cabs in BA are as plentiful as any city in the world. Your hotel could call you a radio cab or you can hail a radio cab on the street in front of your hotel. The most dangerous thing about taxis in BA is that one may run you over as you attempt to cross the street. That, and getting a conterfeit bill as change. So, always look three ways when crossing the street ( left, right, and over your shoulder for cabs making a turn) and never pay a cabbie with a large bill (and watch that he doesn't claim the one you gave him was bad and then return a bad one to you in its place).

Some of the dinners served at the shows are okay, never better compared to what you get at a good restaurant. And always pricier. It's your money and your tastebuds. Convenience is sometimes a factor. When I wrote an article on tango supper shows for the Buenos Aires Herald 10 years ago I opined that one should include the dinner at the showroom in order to avoid the hassle of Buenos Aires traffic patterns, but I have changed my thinking over the years.

Shows don't start until 10:30 and you will have plenty of time to go from a restaurant to the showroom. You could sit down at a place like 1880 or La Brigada also on Av Defensa in San Telmo 8:30 and make the show at La Ventana, Michaelangelo or Madero Tango without any rush at all. These clubs are all in San Telmo. Why have a mediocre meal if you are only going to dine out once or twice in Buenos Aires? IMHO, you ought to reconsider your evening program.

Paying a premium for a ship excursion to a tango show is unwise and unnecessary. Besides the ship would probably send you to Senor Tango, one of the biggest, but worst venues, in BA.

I have an apt in BA and am somewhat familiar with tango shows there. For a good evening out I would recommend Madero Tango, the show only ( that part of JaneBP's advice is sound). The cost of the Madero Tango show depends on the seating status: standard, executive, VIP. The standard entry will get you a decent table and the price should be about 110 pesos which if you pay in cash will be $27 pp (they give 4 pesos to the US$), slightly higher if you pay with plastic.

The restaurant, "1880", in the 1500 block of Av Defensa in San Telmo is 5 minutes away from Madero Tango by cab ($4). 1880 is a charming, classic neighborhood parilla where you can eat wonderfully for $25 pp including wine and then be at the show in a jiffy.

I'd guess that a ship package to a place like Senor Tango would cost you upwards of $150 and you won't get as nearly as good a meal or show.

Hi owl61,

Thanks for your recommendation. Questions on doing the Madero Tango/1880 combo:

1. should we book the 10:30 tango show ahead of time?

2. what's the reservation situation with 1880? I noted on your other post that La Cabrera won't take reservation after 8:30.

3. you mentioned above tango show and restaurant is in San Telmo area. We shall be staying at the Sheraton in downtown. How far apart are the two areas?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Hi owl61,

Thanks for your recommendation. Questions on doing the Madero Tango/1880 combo:

1. should we book the 10:30 tango show ahead of time?

2. what's the reservation situation with 1880? I noted on your other post that La Cabrera won't take reservation after 8:30.

3. you mentioned above tango show and restaurant is in San Telmo area. We shall be staying at the Sheraton in downtown. How far apart are the two areas?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

1. Depends what day of the week. It might sell out, but I doubt it. You can call ahead and reserve over the phone with plastic and it will only cost a few bucks more. Or chance it to pay cash at the door and save a few $ pp.

2.Call ahead for reservations. See http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=1059

3. The Sherton is a 10/15 minute cab from San Telmo.

We stayed pre-cruise Jan 3 at the Marriott, booked through NCL. NCL had a desk at the Marriott where they offered the dinner and Tango show at La Ventana for $60 including transportation. About 8 couples went from the Marriott and the Sheraton. We thought it was a good deal, easier than looking for dinner/show/transportation ourselves. We thought the filet was very good (and the chocolate amaretto dessert) and enjoyed the show.

Don

We stayed pre-cruise Jan 3 at the Marriott, booked through NCL. NCL had a desk at the Marriott where they offered the dinner and Tango show at La Ventana for $60 including transportation. Don

A surprisingly low price especially considering that the current on line price for the cheapest dinner tango show seat is $90. The show only is $60.

I am going on the NCL Sun in DEc. Around the cape and I was looking at the pkg. after the cruise for 3 days to tango show and the falls is this the one you did through NCL?

We were in B.A. before the cruise; we didn't do the falls. We booked the hotel through NCL. The show wasn't booked directly through NCL, but there was an NCL desk at the Marriott (actually probably a local company that contracted with NCL) and we booked the dinner/show at that desk.

Owl61, is the price you cited in US dollars or Argentine?

Don

Some years ago we went to a Tango Show in a place called Michelangelo which we booked at the port. The show was very good!.

We are returning to BsAs early March with Costa Mediterranea and we wonder if the place still exist and how is the show these days.

Owl61, is the price you cited in US dollars or Argentine?Don

US$ - check the web site for other VIP pricing.

Some years ago we went to a Tango Show in a place called Michelangelo which we booked at the port. The show was very good!.

We are returning to BsAs early March with Costa Mediterranea and we wonder if the place still exist and how is the show these days.

It does. See www.michelangelotango.com, This showed is choreographed by a well known and well respected couple who were the producers of the famous tango production, Tango Argentino, that toured the world some years back. Prices for dinner and show start at 300 pesos which is roughly $86. The theatre is practically adjacent to La Ventana.

A word of caution to those attending either of these shows. Cabs will be waiting outside when the performance is finished. Exercise care in choosing a cab. It is advisable to hail only radio cabs as they are less likely to be problemmatic. Generally speaking the most dangerous thing about BA taxis is that one might run you over as you cross the street, but this kind of tourist venue is a magnet for the dishonest taxi cab drivers. They will either overcharge by riding around or give you counterfeit bills for change. Never, but never, pay a BA cab with a large bill. Make sure when you leave your hotel that you have small notes to pay e.g. 10s and 5s. When you get cash from an ATM it is recommended that you ask for an odd amount like 280 pesos, not 200 or 300 pesos. That way you will have small bills if you can't get themn from anouther source. Getting change in BA is sometimes a hassle.

We took an Antarctic cruise out of BA last January and stayed at the Marriot. We booked a tour with Princess reps right at the hotel to a tango show at El Viejo Almacen. It included dinner ( which was very good) and then we walked across the street to where the show was. We were seated at tables right near the stage and given an included drink to enjoy during the show. The show was quite good and included tango numbers, some music by the band, and a folkloric group performance as well as singers. Many locals were in attendance. It is a small venue, as are most. Frommer's guide to Buenos Aires recommended it, saying "Shows here involve traditional Argentine-style tango, with little emphasis on the splashy Hollywoodization of tango seen in other places such as Senor Tango. "Transportation is offered from some hotels. It is at Indepencia and Balcarce.

BTW... if you are looking for a good beef restaurant within walking distance of your hotel, we had a good dinner at La Chacra. We also ate at Las Nazarenas, which we walked to. The beef was wonderful.

Last year when we went, we made arrangements with Complejo Tango. Well rated on Trip Advisor. I arranged for a group rate. They picked everyone up at the hotel. Very nice show.

In fact, we actually stayed at their B&B. They treated my mother like a queen. Gave us adjoining room. My mom had three beds in the room. And the price was incredibly low.

Just returned from BA yesterday and went to La Viejo Almacen on Sun night. Wonderful show. Cost 55 usd with two drinks included. We ended up eating at their restaurant since we ran out of time. Excellent steak, service and price. About 15 usd with drinks pp. Don't book dinner with show. It is cheaper if you just go to their restaurant. The almacen is the oldest tango venue in BA. We stayed at Gurda Tango on Defensa and walked to the show. We took a taxi back since it was late and it only cost 7 usd. Only use radio taxis and have small bills. 50 argentine or less.50 arg. = about 14.00 usd. My husband printed me handy converters on yahoo.com

sunseeker 17

Dear Oilbert,

Buenos Aires Tango is a place where you can find people that teaches tango, and a big documental file keeping of tango. In La Boca district, the tango shows that you could find are Bocatango and La Ventana Tango Show. I think that the best tango places are (according to my tastes)

1- Rojo Tango, at the Faena Hotel.

2- Esquina Carlos Gardel, in Abasto district.

3- La Ventana Tango Show.

4- Senor Tango.

5- El Querandi.

All of them have tango show and diner included, or you can just pay for the show and have diner in other place. Another very interesting show you should go is Opera Pampa. Check them on the internet! :D

Hope this info helps you :).

matnord,

Presumably you live in BA. When was the last time you saw the shows at Senor Tango and El Querandi?

Isn´t La Ventana in San Telmo?

We are about to leave for our trip and have booked Tango Porteno based on this great review I found on line - it's a relatively new one (March of last yr) and in the Teatro near the obelisk. The website looks amazing - I've copied the review I found here in you're interested

Tango Porteño

>From the moment we entered the beautiful theater next door to the

Teatro Colon last night, we felt that we were in for an evening like

no other we had experienced in Buenos Aires. Two friends and I had

decided to spring for the expensive (by Argentine standards) tickets

for dinner and a tango show. Two of us have been involved with the

world of Argentine tango for more than a dozen years and we've seen

all the big shows - Tango Argentino, Tango por Dos and Forever Tango,

to name a few. Ordinarily, we don't go to Tango shows in Buenos Aires

any more, because we feel most of them are geared to tourists and we

consider Buenos Aires our second home. Besides, as I said, we've seen

a lot of shows.

However, two good friends from New York had seen this show and

convinced us that it was worth the price of admission. Also, I was

leaving after a lengthy stay in BA and wanted to do something special

to treat myself before I left.

Entering the grand lobby, we were greeted by handsome young men and

beautiful young women dressed in formal attire. The girls wore jaunty,

miniature grey top hats, perched at a risqué angle and sleek grey

tuxedos. Two grand murals portrayed famous personages of tango and a

scene from La Confiteria Ideal. The theater itself was sheer elegance

with art deco columns, soft lighting and tables set with crystal and

linen.

We didn't expect much in the way of fine dining but were pleasantly

surprised to be offered a small but excellent selection of entradas

and main courses. Wines poured steadily throughout the meal and we

thoroughly enjoyed each dish that was presented.

We commented that if we were going to a show in New York, we would

have paid more for the tickets to the show and not have had a

delicious dinner along with it. We were already more than satisfied

with the value received. But when the lights dimmed and the curtains

opened, we understood that the evening held a lot more surprises for

us.

Just in case you haven't realized it already, this is a rave review.

The dancing was spectacular show tango. The orchestra was out of this

world. The staging and scenery spectacular and the costumes original.

For me, the highlight of the show was when Roxana Fontan stepped onto

the stage in a shimmering nude gown to sing "Malena". She stood alone

and sang without accompaniment. But she did more than just sing, she

enchanted everyone. I expected the audience to demand an encore, but

how could any human being repeat such a magical performance?

The six young couples who danced deserve kudos for their lightness and

acrobatics. They flew, they glided they soared. We were delighted to

see Nito and Elba when they appeared, looking ever so elegant and

dancing like only a couple who have danced together for years can. The

audience especially enjoyed the young milonguero who thrilled them

with his rapid fire milonga and playful leaps. The woman who danced

with a "mystery" partner (don't want to give away any secrets) had us

rolling in the aisles.

My favorite dance number was set in the boudoir. Dressed in a satin

peignoir, a woman waits for her lover on a red velvet chaise. She is

barefoot and beautiful. It was one of the most sensual tangos I've

ever seen. We had goosebumps.

The orchestra, on a raised platform above the dancers, was lead by a

tall blonde violinist dressed in cascades of silver. The music wowed

everyone with its fabulous arrangements of familiar tangos and

performances both fresh and powerful. Their tribute to Astor Piazzola

was thrilling and the large-scale projections enhanced the experience.

Yes it was a splurge for us. We spent about U$D 90 each and had an

exquisite evening including a final glass of champagne and a selection

of desserts.

I recommend it if you're going to be in Buenos Aires.

By the way, I'd love to give credit where it is due, but, for some

reason, we never got a program.

We are about to leave for our trip and have booked Tango Porteno based on this great review I found on line - it's a relatively new one (March of last yr) and in the Teatro near the obelisk. The website looks amazing - I've copied the review I found here in you're interested

I understand you have not seen the show but were coping a review of someone else. May I ask where you found the review you quoted?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived