Questions About Tipping on Cunard Ships!

The Real PM

Wine steward tried to charge me $15 to uncork the bottle of wine CUNARD gave me when I took it to share at the table ( I travel solo and cannot drink a whole bottle )

Was not pleased when he argued that "it is company policy" which I knew to be incorrect.

The policy, as I understand it, is that any bottle not ordered in the restaurant is subject to a $15 corkage charge. I presume the reasoning is not to encourage people to bring wine on board - or at least to retain some revenue.

I always take a bottle of Eiswein on board, or at least I have since they discontinued it, but have never been charged. I would have thought that for a passenger who normally ordered wine then an element of discretion should be employed - it certainly has always been for me.

Next night I was going to order myself a bottle of Ast Spumante, but when I told him that I would wanted to drink it over three nights he informed me that was not possible to do that with Asti (even though I have done that several times on QM2) Clearly this man was not worthy of anything extra.

If they are equipped with a good champagne stopper (I use the Screwpull one, which is excellent) then it is certainly possible to keep champagne. I see no reason at all why this can't be done with Asti.

Whether he meant that he didn't regard it as possible due to the time the wine would have to retain fizz, or whether he wasn't able to let you keep a bottle of wine for three nights, is not clear. But the first is your lookout (although I would expect him to advise in relation to that) and the second is clearly nonsense.

I agree - he does seem to have been a dead loss.

Dangerous ground. Is it the done thing to suggest that "they" do anything in a general sense?

!!

Depends if you want PC or honest opinion. Based on last two cruises and visits to the countries where "they" that is, the Easter Europeans originated from!

Depends if you want PC or honest opinion. Based on last two cruises and visits to the countries where "they" that is, the Easter Europeans originated from!

More seriously, you didn't mention visits to "their" countries. All of them, perchance? A few days, or many months?

It is acceptable to say that the East Europeans that you have met have been X, Y or Z. To say that East Europeans are X, Y or Z is a step too far.

Rest of the year....what? Just saw your other post. Do you want a CV of my trips and life experience or are you just trying to be smart! It is my opinion and I am sticking to it

Edited by moniquet

The policy, as I understand it, is that any bottle not ordered in the restaurant is subject to a $15 corkage charge. I presume the reasoning is not to encourage people to bring wine on board - or at least to retain some revenue.

I always take a bottle of Eiswein on board, or at least I have since they discontinued it, but have never been charged. I would have thought that for a passenger who normally ordered wine then an element of discretion should be employed - it certainly has always been for me.

On our QE2 crossing last year a friend and our travel agent each sent us a bottle of Champagne, both of which were delivered to the stateroom. I asked our wine steward if we could have one at dinner one night and he said that would be no problem. We were asked to bring it in at lunch so it could be chilled in time for dinner. There was no corkage fee for this and I wasn't asked to prove that it had been purchased from Cunard. At one time Champagne gifts from travel agents were always served in the dining room ( at least from our experience on Cunard, P&O, Union-Castle, Holland America) but I'm pleased that discretion was shown. I hope to have the same luck on the Queen Mary 2 in a few months.

Rest of the year....what?

You mentioned Easter Europeans.

Just saw your other post. Do you want a CV of my trips and life experience or are you just trying to be smart! It is my opinion and I am sticking to it

I don't need to try to be smart.

My point is your opinion appears to be your prejudice. On the basis that it has insufficient empirical basis to be taken seriously as an opinion.

I think they have too many Eastern Europeans working on-board now. They aren't service orientated like eg. people from the far east. Our assistant waiter was from Russia and she didn't have a very good attitude although she did what was required.

I agree with Bearly Afloat. Perhaps your assistant waiter from Russia didn't have a good attitude at all. And perhaps his attitude had nothing to do with being from Russia--maybe it was just his own personality. But it is your personal experience and you may have your opinion and give your reasons for that opinion. My personal experience was quite the opposite, and came from the Commodore Club where there were the most marvelous people working there, who were extremely service oriented, as well as being genuinely nice people-- and all Eastern Europeans. So my personal experience was a wonderfully positive one. But to take to task Eastern Europeans in general because of their birthplace and to blatantly proclaim that they "aren't service oriented" like "people from the far east" is out and out bigoted on behalf of both groups of people. And it is certainly not acceptable in this day and age!

Edited by The Real PM

I agree with the last two posts and am concerned that "service oriented" may be being used as a synonym for "subservient".

The service industry in the UK would collapse without Eastern European employees. As has been pointed out lack of attitude is a problem but not because of ethnicity.

Personally, I do feel uncomfortable when people post how much they tip in order to receive good service. Surely this could create a problem in that the price of the cruise/crossing has a supplement for the staff but a tip is still expected/required.

We were thrilled with the service we received from both Cunard and Celebrity employees. We have sailed with Royal Caribbean too and there- it was the overall standard of service which was different- but the individual employees were charming. Our waiter, who was very good, was Hungarian.

Service orientated is not a slur. I would describe myself as being so too! I note that there has been similar comments on cruise critic all have passed without comment. Shall I put it another way:rolleyes:

I was disappointed with the service on QM2. Probably my expectations were too high after reading this forum and Cunard ads. I found the room steward adequate (although it did take two days to fill the fridge with the drinks requested) and it would have been nice if she could have understood a little more English. The wine waiter was just that, he did not have any knowledge of the wine list and would have been easier to just ask for no. 23 or whatever. Standards were below RCCL and HAL. Therefore as to my original post on tipping, we did not think any extra was due. We did tip generously on the last night in the Commodore and the Chart room for good service and good Martinis! Clear enough!!

Like Moniquet, I regard service to me as very important part of the cruise experieince.and regard tipping those that give me that "little personal touch" as worthy of a reward - which I woud and do give very happily, but I do object to rewarding every dishwasher, floor mopper on board.

I also resent that if I tip my "special staffer" he or she is supposed to declare that reward to some supervisor, and then hand it over to be put in the general tipping fund to be shared with every Tom,Dick or Sally employed.

The nationality of staff is not as important as their understanding of English (Cunard after all is supposed to be the English "country house party lifestyle") Certainly many of those on the QV had a very poor understanding of English, as the examples I wrote about show. Report a TV picutre has disapeared and you get three men telling you they have come to repair your bedside lamp! Your meal becomes something quite different to that you ordered, - clearly this shows a poor quality of staff.

The QV is an attractive ship but Ms Marlow must ensure that the staff is adequate in number , with a knowledge of English and with a "I will do my best to please" attitude.

The bottom line matters but no passengers mean no bottom line at all and therefore no Cunard and no jobs.

To digress slightly, and probably open up a can of worms that I may regret, does anyone know what the staff, for example cabin stewards, are actually paid?

According to a recent second-hand report, on a line I shan't name, it was $30 per month, which I find difficult to believe:eek:.

Mary

Edited by Norfolk Brit

To digress slightly, and probably open up a can of worms that I may regret, does anyone know what the staff, for example cabin stewards, are actually paid?

According to a recent second-hand report, on a line I shan't name, it was $30 per month, which I find difficult to believe:eek:.

Mary

The base pay without tips is very small. Most cruise lines including tips pay a minimum of $160 per week. If they don't make the minimum they aren't long for the cruising world. Remember besides this the cruise line pays room and board and air travel to and from their homes....if they complete the contract. Medical care is provided while they are on board but not otherwise except for mandatory coverages...

Like Moniquet, I regard service to me as very important part of the cruise experieince......

but I do object to rewarding every dishwasher, floor mopper on board.

With respect, I disagree. Absolutely service is the key to the cruise experience however.....those dishwashers, floor moppers and every unseen staff member all make a contribution to your overall cruise experience. Without them a lot of things wouldn't be as nice as we've come to expect. Just because we don't see them does not mean they aren't important in the overall picture.

Suppose the floor mopper didn't bother....maybe he or she was supposed to clean all the public restroom floors....I'd say you'd be pretty unhappy on finding them dirty. And I've toured the galley on QM2....those dishwashers and other service personnel in there don't exactly have a fantastic job yet without their service, on your behalf I might add, you'd not be all that happy either. Just because you don't see them like your cabin steward or wait staff doens't make them non existant.

Of course we'd all like to see them paid more money but were that to happen our fares would go up and then we'd all complain about that. I have no problem contributing to what little they do make as it's their efforts that make QM2 the ship I adore so much.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Penny,

Sheldon and Monika were exceptional and were tipped accordingly. Our waiter, Paul, made a couple of big mistakes--failed to take the order of one of our regular tablemates, delivered wine that belonged to someone else at the table to another tablemate--but I did give him a little extra tip. These 3 were the only ones that received anything extra from me.

And room service orders were wrong almost every day at breakfast time. Ask my roommate about this one!

I've always left nice notes for my room steward if anything was needed and the notes this time were ignored most of the time. As to the Eastern Europeans, I agree with you with the exception of our room steward.

The one thing that stood out just about everywhere except with Monika and Sheldon was that almost none of the crew were smiling--something I've never seen on other cruises.

Bettie

Just to clear up one thing--while I didn't leave extra tip for our steward, I did leave auto tips on. I would never dream of removing them. Other personnel should not have their income reduced because of one or two who didn't perform up to par.

B

• 11 months later...
I didn't think anyone on our last QM2 warranted any extra tip. They did what they had to do but not many seemed to be enjoying their job. When asking one waiter why the breakfast was slow arriving (Britannia) he replied that we shouldn't come at the busy time. One night I had to ask twice for the wine waiter to come, his excuse....he was busy at the Captains table!

I think they have too many Eastern Europeans working onboard now. They aren't service orientated like eg. people from the far east. Our assistant waiter was from Russia and she didn't have a very good attitude although she did what was required.

We had the opposite experience on the QM2. We had a fantastic trip and one of the reasons was the amazing standard of service we received from the staff. Our waiter and bus boy in the Britannia restaurant were both Polish and they provided exceptional service and were very pleasant. We tipped them extra and I saw most other diners in our section do the same. We will be traveling on the QM2 again in a few months and we are greatly looking forward to it.

Hhi guys I was gonna ask this question but was scared to start another tipping thread!!!! I know about the auto tip and will tip extra for great service,but the 15% charge at the bar does that go to the barman or in a pool?

This will be our first cruise of any kind.

Cheers gaz

More important than how you find the staff treat you, is how do you treat the staff?

We've noticed some people treat the staff with utter contempt and bark at them. we've seen people demand things be removed immediately "like you've been told before".

We actually know one individual who goes out of her way, because she thinks that she's a big shot, to demean others, and another couple about whom the waiter whispered, "thinks they own the restaurant".

We've always found that if you treat the staff with respect, indulge in polite conversation, and be courteous at all times, then, in turn, the treatment that is received reflects this.

We do give a little extra over and above the compulsory tip when we believe that the staff have gone the extra mile.

Recently on the QV, we even had several of waiting staff from other restaurants, come to our table in the QG, just to say hello and shake hands. And it was good to be genuinely welcomed around the ship by those who have previously looked after us.

My view is, treat the staff well and the service level goes up a gear.

Stewart

Hhi guys I was gonna ask this question but was scared to start another tipping thread!!!! I know about the auto tip and will tip extra for great service,but the 15% charge at the bar does that go to the barman or in a pool?

This will be our first cruise of any kind.

Cheers gaz

The 15% goes into a pool, or so we've been told. Anything on top of that, given in cash, is believed to be kept by the individual, although the bar staff may sometimes have a private arrangement between themselves to pool the cash tips.

Having said that, what happens to the auto-tips is one of life's great, long-debated and disagreed-upon, mysteries.

Mary

Edited by Norfolk Brit

More important than how you find the staff treat you, is how do you treat the staff?

My view is, treat the staff well and the service level goes up a gear.

Stewart

I totally agree with you Stewart. If you speak politely and courteously to anyone, the chances are that you will receive a courteous and polite reply. It is a fact of human nature that no one likes to be 'spoken down' to or have orders barked at them - even though it is their job to comply with them. The old adage of "You only get as good as you give" springs to mind.

We have always tried to be reasonable and courteous to our waiter/steward/butler, and to build up some small rapport with them. We also inform them of our particular likes and dislikes or of any special requirements; after all they are not mind readers! This has always paid dividends, as the resultant service that we have received has usually been quite exceptional.

Regards,

David

I totally agree with you Stewart. If you speak politely and courteously to anyone, the chances are that you will receive a courteous and polite reply. It is a fact of human nature that no one likes to be 'spoken down' to or have orders barked at them - even though it is their job to comply with them. The old adage of "You only get as good as you give" springs to mind.

We have always tried to be reasonable and courteous to our waiter/steward/butler, and to build up some small rapport with them. We also inform them of our particular likes and dislikes or of any special requirements; after all they are not mind readers! This has always paid dividends, as the resultant service that we have received has usually been quite exceptional.

Regards,

David

Oh,I thought that Stewart meant if you throw lots of cash at them,then they are all over you like a rash.

I would normally resist the temptation to join in a tipping thread but a brochure plopped onto my doormat only this morning (not from a cruise line) with the following item on a page headed, ‘Top Ten Tips for a Great Cruise’ :-

Tip No. 6.

Give your cabin steward a tip at the start of the cruise.

This goes against standard cruise protocol of rewarding your steward at the end on the cruise. By giving your steward a small tip at the start – this will be an indication to them of things to come at the end of the cruise and we always find that the service is enhanced. Perhaps a flower on your pillow at night, an extra chocolate, fluffier bathrobes or quicker service.

Unquote.

Also

Tip No. 7.

Get to know your table waiter during dinner.

Many waiters are treated wrongly as servants and should be seen rather as entertainers. They will enhance your evening dining experience and the quality of the food served. Talk to them , take an interest in their day and where they are from – this will give you all kinds of insight into the workings of the ship. Your waiter will then serve you the freshest and hottest of food and will fall over themselves to provide quick service with everything you need. You can then be cheeky and ask for several appetizers and that extra lobster tail on the surf and turf night. On a recent cruise we were part of the select few who were invited on an exclusive tour of the kitchen. If you have had fantastic service – at the end of the cruise discreetly tip your waiter without letting anyone else or Maitre D see – they will really appreciate it.

Unquote

I offer this for what it is, without comment.

Ratty

Like other posters, I too believe that your service level goes up if you treat the staff as indiiduals rather than "servants". Often on trips in ports I will bring back some little thing like chocolate or other local candy and give to the steward and the wait staff that evening. But tips should be for service above and beyond. If you work in a service orientated business you should know in advance that you have to go the extra mile for the extra cash.

Is $11/day enough? I don't think so. This amount of tip would be about right for just one meal (not including drinks) at an equivalent restaurant where I live. In a NY or London restaurant the tip for an equivalent meal would be $15-20 because the prices are higher. So the tip doesn't do much to take care of the people who provide the other 2 meals a day or for your steward. Esp if the meals are taken in the main dining room. At King's Court, less so because there is more self service.

To the people who say 'We paid a lot and don't have exta.', 'we're on a long cruise and it adds up.' or my personal fav 'the economy is tough'. I would say if you can afford a trip then you can afford to tip. Otherwise you're downloading your costs onto someone who has much less than yourself.

Maybe next time I'll think of a way to bring it up to these service folks and find out what they figure is fair. In my usual diplomatic fashion.;)