If you lived in a port city or state?

frankhouse

We live in CA so the LA port is about a l hr. drive, depending on traffic. Being near the port is a great advantage. Not only don't you have to pay for airfare, you can take a lot more stuff with you. On our next to last cruise (our last cruise was to Alaska and we sailed out of Seattle), we cruised out of the LA port. Airfare has gotten way expensive, but we are still going on a cruise out of Miami this Spring. I used to live in Miami and took several cruises to the Bahamas, and back in the mid-60s I sailed to Jamaica on the old "Jamaica Queen". It was my very first cruise, I was 19 and I have been addicted to cruising ever since. We plan to retire back in Florida so we can do more cruising. You have a huge choice of ports to sail from there.

We love to cruise and plan to do lots of it in the future!!!:D So, moving back to Florida when we retire is a great option for us. The only reason we don't move now (the DH can work from home anywhere in the world), is because we have a 13 yr DS, and until he's off to college (4 1/2 more years), we aren't moving anywhere. The DS loves cruising too, and has been on about 6 of them, so getting him to come visit us in Florida when we retire will be easy. Hey son, want to go on a cruise with us?

We are in Connecticut, a little over an hours drive away from NYC and love leaveing out of there. But like another poster mention they are a little more expensive and a limited selection.

Definately would cruise more (especially a bunch of the shorter ones. If we lived so close to several ports)

I used to live in Tampa Florida but not anymore. :( My wife wants to move back so we can take advantage of cruise specials and save money by being able to drive to any of the many ports, completely illiminating the cost of flying. :) We would definitely cruise more often. ;) If you lived in a port city or state, would you cruise more than you do now? Should I fulfill my wife's dreams and move back? :confused:

We would definitely cruise at least twice a year. Airfare from Maine is as much and sometimes more than a cruise; add on pre-hotel, airport parking, extra meals - YUP - we would be cruising more than once a year. I'm ready to become one of those "snowbirds" who winter in Florida and summer in Maine - but work is keeping me from that dream - someday, someday!

We live in Jacksonville, FL and it does make a difference for us. We can still only go on one a year but no airfare, hotels, etc makes a big difference for us. We both work and get two weeks of vacation a year and any extra money goes for the cruise. We started cruising in 2005 and managed to go on two in 2006 because the price was too good to pass up living right near the port. Come on back to FL!!

I used to live in Tampa Florida but not anymore. :( My wife wants to move back so we can take advantage of cruise specials and save money by being able to drive to any of the many ports, completely illiminating the cost of flying. :) We would definitely cruise more often. ;) If you lived in a port city or state, would you cruise more than you do now? Should I fulfill my wife's dreams and move back? :confused:

Oh go ahead and move back!

We live near 3 ports (Los Angeles, Long Beach and San Diego). If it weren't for us living near them, we wouldn't cruise as much as we TRY to do! We are starting to pick up the pace! Your right about saving the cost of air fare....but our 3 and 4 dayers have Ensenada as a port....wish it were Cabo! Ensenada is sooooo boring. My DH would say except for Pappas and Beer! :D

Sad we are losing Pride:( but can't wait to sail on Splendor sometime!

Oh go ahead and move back!

We live near 3 ports (Los Angeles, Long Beach and San Diego). If it weren't for us living near them, we wouldn't cruise as much as we TRY to do! We are starting to pick up the pace! Your right about saving the cost of air fare....but our 3 and 4 dayers have Ensenada as a port....wish it were Cabo! Ensenada is sooooo boring. My DH would say except for Pappas and Beer! :D

Sad we are losing Pride:( but can't wait to sail on Splendor sometime!

As we speak, we are looking at a 7 day on the Splendor in March 2010, our anniversary. Without flight and with early booking, it's only $1559.14 for an 8A balcony for the 2 of us. Take this computer away from me before I cruise myself pennyless! :D The Splendor looks like a really nice ship.

I am 2 hours to Tampa, Port Canaveral, and Jacksonville, and I'm getting ready to go on my first cruise - from Vancouver! Weird, huh? Actually, in the past month I've driven past the Glory twice and I will have to seriously think about more cruising in the future! But I wouldn't move back to Florida just for that reason, if I were you. Not if you also like where you are.

I am 2 hours to Tampa, Port Canaveral, and Jacksonville, and I'm getting ready to go on my first cruise - from Vancouver! Weird, huh? Actually, in the past month I've driven past the Glory twice and I will have to seriously think about more cruising in the future! But I wouldn't move back to Florida just for that reason, if I were you. Not if you also like where you are.

We actually were both born and raised where we are now and I am sooooooooo ready to be gone from here. Our kids are in Tampa and we visit at least 2 wks a year, i love the weather, the area and being close to cruising is just a bonus!!! I always loved where I lived but now that I'm older I don't like the cold, been in same profession 30 years and now that the market and economy has taken a dump so has my work...not good, looking up to the future with warm sun, my loving husband and a cruise as often as possible!!

Tampa is really the perfect location. I've lived here my entire life (one of the few who was actually born here) and I've seen it grow to what it is now. With the Inspiration and the Legend here year round, it is very nice to have options of leaving from a pier that is 30 minutes from my house.

The Inspiration's 4 day cruise that leaves on Thursday is perfect for us, because we can take a long weekend and have a great cruise, without taking up part of my DH's two-week vacation.

When I'm not able to cruise, I can still go downtown, have lunch at Bennigan's and watch the ships leave. It's a nice atmosphere, and I can watch those lucky cruisers wave goodbye as they leave on their adventure.

I can also cruise anywhere in the state--leave Friday after work and drive to the port city, get up on Saturday (or Sunday) and head off on a wonderful cruise. The drive home after the cruise is not bad, and I can be home by 5 o'clock to be up for work the next day.

So, my answer is yes, if you're as much of a cruise fan as we are, living near a port city definitely makes it easier to cruise more often.

I'd cruise alot more, we live smack dab in the middle of the US so we have to fly where ever we want to go, but if we lived in or near Fl we would go frequently. I have a job that I can flex schedule and also work extra for extra hours and I can work anywhere, unfortunately my hubby has a job that he needs to be here. However in this economy and because so many are losing their jobs right about now, I will NEVER complain, his job is good.

Carole

for me I would definitely cruise more....it would not only eliminate airline tickets it would eliminate: gas to the airport, tips, parking at airport, rental car and port parking (or cab or transfers with tips both ways) , hotel, (with tips) 2 - 4 more meals, entertainment for staying over at least 1 night (or two), 1-2 days more clothes, one or two less vacation days used (so I would be able to use them next cruise)...quick move to fla before the early savers are gone!

We would cruise waaaaaayyyyyyy more often!!

Our airfare is almost always more expensive than the cruise.

We need a minimum of 2.5 travel days, and like to arrive a day before the cruise (in case of travel delays).

If we lived in a port city I could see us taking 4 or more cruises a year.

Well Frankhouse....sorry you left this sunny cruizin city that has 4 more ports within a 4 1/2 hours drive....if you notice my siggy I do it often. It is great...Oh es...I have a cruise this coming weekend out of NOLA....One on the Legend in Oct of Tampa....One next spring out of Puerto Rico. many of my cruises though are out of Tampa and FLA.

Now on the should you do what your wife is asking......the real question is....

Do you want a happy wife....

Or just a wife....LOL.....

Tapi, that would be the old Miami.

I wish that my experience with Miami was much older, but we moved from Miami in January, 2007, so not too long ago.

Needless to say, we still have many friends down there who we keep in touch with. Although the house prices are definitely down, they're still being burnt at the stake with high property sales tax, and insurance costs. Almost every single person we know has been dropped by their homeowner's insurance (because many companies won't even do business in Florida anymore), and they've been forced to re-insure with a different company at a higher premium.

Also, what we learned living there is that Miami is a great city to visit, but not so great when you actually live there in the middle of it all.

With that said, I'm going to change a bit my previous answer. I would be all about moving to a port city (or close to one) as long as it's not Miami (or a city like it). For example, my sister lived in Tampa for many years and absolutely LOVED it. One of my best friends lives in Orlando (not too far from Pt. Canaveral or Tampa) and also loves living there.

As I mentioned before, I live in Atlanta and our closest port is Mobile (about 4hours away) which is not a bad drive. We've only cruised from there once since we moved here but it was definitely nice to leave the house around 9am and be checking in by 1pm!

We live less then ten minutes from the Port of San Diego, but for some reason only use it every couple of years, this being one of them. Going to give the Spirit a try. We tend to fly to the East Coast for most of our cruises. Will we move? No Way!

Well, I live within driving distance of two ports. I wish I could say I sailed more often because of it, but I flat don't sail as often as I would like. If the budget would allow, I would go on at least two cruises a year. I'm lucky if I get one every couple of years.

Of course, if I had to pay for airfare on top of my cruisefare or add in time for a major road trip to get to the port, it would probably be every 4 or 5 years, so I guess I should be counting my blessings.

We are only about 2 hours from Galveston, but, we only take one cruise a year. We did miss last year because of the hurricane that hit the NO area and then 2 weeks later when IKE hit us. As you can see from past cruises, we have taken an Alaskan cruise, everyone needs to do this one at least once in their lifetime and then a cruise out of Long Beach. Both times I was able to get good flight rates and a good rate for a hotel in Seattle, but, in Long Beach, we were able to spend the night with my stepdaughter. I would like to take more cruises, but, we do go other places. I did notice that you are going to be on the March 2nd cruise out of Galveston, we'll see ya on board!!!!!! Have a safe drive down.:)

We are only about 2 hours from Galveston, but, we only take one cruise a year. We did miss last year because of the hurricane that hit the NO area and then 2 weeks later when IKE hit us. As you can see from past cruises, we have taken an Alaskan cruise, everyone needs to do this one at least once in their lifetime and then a cruise out of Long Beach. Both times I was able to get good flight rates and a good rate for a hotel in Seattle, but, in Long Beach, we were able to spend the night with my stepdaughter. I would like to take more cruises, but, we do go other places. I did notice that you are going to be on the March 2nd cruise out of Galveston, we'll see ya on board!!!!!! Have a safe drive down.:)

Our original intention was to drive down but now we're flying. My wife found a good deal on Southwest and went ahead and booked the flight. But yes, we will see you on board!:D

I live in New York City (Queens) so I have two choices. I love Carnival and I wish I did live in Florida so I could have my choice of ships. I only have the Mircale and a Carnival ship that goes to up Canada. I booked the Miracle again for May. This will be my 4th trip on her. I've been already to Canada on the Triumph a few years ago. I would definitely move back to Florida if you can. Just think you can cruise anytime and anywhere you want too. Plus you have plenty to choose from. Mary49

Archived