Mallorca

italialovers

We will be cruising in June of 09 and one of the stops is Mallorca. Has anyone been there and is public transportation easy to access on the island? We were thinking of going to the Coves of Dracha and are wondering if this is a good choice. We are also wondering if we can do this ourselves rather then rely on a cruise excursion.

We will be cruising in June of 09 and one of the stops is Mallorca. Has anyone been there and is public transportation easy to access on the island? We were thinking of going to the Coves of Dracha and are wondering if this is a good choice. We are also wondering if we can do this ourselves rather then rely on a cruise excursion.

Not sure about the Coves but the HOHO bus comes right to the pier. You will get more response to your questionon the Ports of Call- Europe- Mediterranean board. Try posting there.

I live in Mallorca ( in Alcudia in the north ). The Coves de Drach are very commercial and a fair distance from Palma ( the port you will be in ). Public transport is available in the form of buses which are available from the Palma bus station. Depending how long you will be in Mallorca I would recommend taking the small train from Palma to the port of Soller. The train is fanatastic and the experience is one you will not forget!

http://www.sollernet.com/trendesoller/en1.html

I live in Mallorca ( in Alcudia in the north ). The Coves de Drach are very commercial and a fair distance from Palma ( the port you will be in ). Public transport is available in the form of buses which are available from the Palma bus station. Depending how long you will be in Mallorca I would recommend taking the small train from Palma to the port of Soller. The train is fanatastic and the experience is one you will not forget!

http://www.sollernet.com/trendesoller/en1.html

Do you think you could ge me an idea of how much the train will cost. I think my family would enjoy this very much!

Do you think you could ge me an idea of how much the train will cost. I think my family would enjoy this very much!

I don't know the cost - not many euros from memory. It is a lovely trip - about one hour duration if I remember rightly. Then when you get to Soller, you get on a little tram which goes down to the port through lots of orange and lemon trees. It really is a good day out. The first time we went we did the train from Palma to Soller and then got a bus back to Palma from Puerto Soller. The second time we went by car. You could always hire a car - that way you could easily get to the Caves of Drach or anywhere else. Some lovely beaches - our favourite is Alcudia, where we have holidayed for the past two years with our grandchildren:D

The HOHO bus is also good value for a detailed look around Palma.

Prices (2008) for the tourist trains (with photostop) are 10.00€ one way, or 17€ return with 50% discount for children. The tram (tranvia) from Soller to Puerto Soller is 4€ per trip and departs every 30 mins.

Hope this helps. I have lived in Alcudia for 10 years and it is indeed a lovely place! Hope you enjoy the trip.

I am so jealous! I used to live in Soller when I was 18 and didn't have any worries in the world!

I used to go there on vacation every year with my family and then when I graduated I packed up and went to live and work there! I love Mallorca!

I haven't been in 20 yrs :( because now I live in the US and here we don't get enough vacation time at work to make any nice long trips worth the money it costs to fly to Europe! My family still goes to Port de Soller all the time.

It is on my to do list though, one day... until then, we just cruise the carribean.

Archived