Need some excursion help. Go with gus???

new england sailor

I contacted him at gustavo@turcios.com for our trip last month.

This was single-handedly the best excursion we've ever been on. One of those life-changing trips for our kids, certainly.

We were not concerned about safety on our trip with Gus. According to my husband (a native Spanish speaker) Gus told him he is a captain with the environmental police there and he regaled him with tales of macho police exploits and how keeping the peace between locals and tourists in the No.1 goal. He was definitely (discretely) armed and he had one of his officers serving as a lookout on the boat (for wildlife, but also -- I assume -- for trouble). I felt he was very much aware of everyone around us, everyone knew who he was (even when we were just walking around Livingston with him), and I never saw a hint of trouble.

Truly, I think Gus is one of the local guys very much aware of the gains to be made with tourism in terms of improving the lives of his people. He is quite proud of his country and his people and yes, he is a businessman. But I saw him several times (out of sight of tourists) press money into the hands of those who shared a story with us or pulled alongside to show off their catch of the day. I felt he treated his people -- and us tourists -- with great respect and wanted us to share a bit with each other. I give him all respect for that.

You will have a wonderful day with Gus. What I loved so much was knowing that every single penny we spent on that excursion and the trinkets we bought home went into the hands of people who are surviving by sharing with us their lives and their culture. A good trade! That they lined the docks to sing us off was such an overwhelming "thank you," it even made my kids cry.

• 2 months later...

Archived