Unique Athens

Do you want to stay in the city, or tour outside of it?

Are you interested in museums, or have you already visited some there? (The new Acropolis museum is open now ... not fully completed, but there are some exhibits, and the building itself is worth seeing, especially for the glass floors on top of ruins.) The National Archaeological Museum is also a highlight in Athens.

We did the 'must see' sites on our first visit to Athens on a port day, and then revisited most at a much more leisurely pace when we returned for a 3 day post cruise stay. In addition, we spent a day touring the Peloponnese peninsula with a driver, and saw some of the other highlights of Athens that we missed on our first visit. We really enjoy wandering in the historic centre of Athens and taking in the sites! Another highlight was a hike up Lykabettus Hill (there is a funicular there as well as a walking path.)

Well, I'd be happy to revisit the Agora weekly, but ...

The local zoo (Attika Zoological Park) has a great bird collection.

take the Coastal Tram for the heck of it.

The Benaki Museum (next to the National Gardens which is well worth a visit) has lots of interesting stuff on modern Greece.

Thanks Cruisemom and others! I think we were looking to get out of the city. Cruisemom I will look into that tour. We did not have a great experience in Athens last time....maybe had something to do with the 110 heat index!:rolleyes:We really haven't made up our minds on what we want to do just wanted to see if there was something out there I hadn't thought of!

What about taking a short boat ride/ferry to a neighboring island? I understand that's quite do-able if you're in port for a nice, long day but this will be our first time in Athens so we're heading to the Acropolis and surrounding antiquities.

Just wanted to tell you how much we loved the Louvre in August of 2007 after our last Mediterranean cruise. Thanks to your generosity! I hope your cruise is very uneventful this time, and no large (nor small!) rocks ruin a thing. We'll be right before you again, but this time mostly in the Greek Isles from Venice with Dubrovnik thrown in for good measure.

Take care neighbors!

Archived