LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

I was on the same cruise as Rich. The biggest effect is that they are traveling about 2 knots slower. I was talking to Rich this morning and he said that every once and a while they could feel a vibration in the back of the ship. My room was all the way forward and I didn't notice anything. My wife and I enjoyed ourselves. We had over 1300 kids onboard. That made the days at sea a little different than your regular cruise. But overall it was a great cruise.

Wow, 1300 kids. Why so many at this time of year - President's Week?

yes...sometimes it helps to watch the horizon..that is if you can FIND the horizon...at one point when we were coming home, you couldn't see it....kept moving up and down when you could....(IIRC a little rain and fog too, PLUS the rough seas!)

(someone did, of course suggest that the cure for seasickness was to DRINK!)):D

ann...maybe target or wal mart has it....also do you have any whole foods stores where you are?? or maybe wegmans??? or just a big grocery??? some of those places may have ginger candy or tablets...we have a health/orgainc section in our local grocery.....

thanks. Good idea on the Whole Foods. We do have that.

Thanks. I guess I better Google for GNC or something since I haven't been able to find a health food store here.

Also, thanks for the idea about food. I didn't think about that. Dramamine makes DH dizzy, but hopefully doing the Bonine at night with food will be better.

I found these Homeopathic pills at the health food store. They melt in your mouth instantly and after one dose in the a.m., was usually fine all day. You take 3 pills every 4 hours if needed. But as I said, did not need more than one dose per day. At night I would go to the Promenade on the way to bed and pick up a Briosche or Croissant and eat that then go to bed fine.

I can look up the meds name if you need, but it may take me a day or two as I have to wait till DH unpacks because I broke me foot on board and cant get around too well. (I'll post details tonight in my review when I get my pics off the camera)

I found these Homeopathic pills at the health food store. They melt in your mouth instantly and after one dose in the a.m., was usually fine all day. You take 3 pills every 4 hours if needed. But as I said, did not need more than one dose per day. At night I would go to the Promenade on the way to bed and pick up a Briosche or Croissant and eat that then go to bed fine.

I can look up the meds name if you need, but it may take me a day or two as I have to wait till DH unpacks because I broke me foot on board and cant get around too well. (I'll post details tonight in my review when I get my pics off the camera)

Sorry to hear about your foot. We still have a couple of weeks, so yes, if you can find the name, that would be great.

Thanks.

So, can you watch for us on the 15th and post on the roll call if the Explorer is late getting in so we can adjust what time we leave for the port? :D

If it's not overcast we can see the cruise ships just before the halfway point of Sandy Hook. What time do you think it should pass by?

So, can you watch for us on the 15th and post on the roll call if the Explorer is late getting in so we can adjust what time we leave for the port? :D

Ann, we are also on this sailing, We will be able to provide live EOS tracking along with realtime weather info for our Voyage. The countdown has begun :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=534103

If it's not overcast we can see the cruise ships just before the halfway point of Sandy Hook. What time do you think it should pass by?

The best spot would be on the North Beach at Sandy Hook. You should be able to see the EOS between 0530-0700 arriving at the pilot station and cruising into SAndy Hook Bay.

Departing you would get a great view if the weather is cooperating between the hours of 1615(4:15pm) & 1700 (500pm). Obviuosly times can change.

The North Beach is great for cruise ship viewing especially during Saturdays, Sundays during Spring & Summer between the Hours of 430pm & 700pm :)

I mean I can see it from my house... until the bridge is replaced I won't go over it to get to the beach. I'll keep an eye out for it that morning, I'm up early anyway!

Lucky You, You must reside up in the A, Highlands :) What a View :)

I mean I can see it from my house... until the bridge is replaced I won't go over it to get to the beach. I'll keep an eye out for it that morning, I'm up early anyway!

Why not? I cross that bridge all the time. Well, I have to. I work for the contractor replacing it. But I will say, the existing structure is safe for now and won't be going anywhere until we take it down later this year.

Why not? I cross that bridge all the time. Well, I have to. I work for the contractor replacing it. But I will say, the existing structure is safe for now and won't be going anywhere until we take it down later this year.

Any Dolphin Sightings ?? :) Is George Harms Co. doing the Construction ????

Ann, we are also on this sailing, We will be able to provide live EOS tracking along with realtime weather info for our Voyage. The countdown has begun :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=534103

I knew you were with us, I just had seen you post here more recently than the roll call. I just didn't know how early you were going to have to leave home to get to the port. I plan on going early, but if the ship is going to be late, I don't want to go early.

Your weather and location count down along with Alex's artistic and fun countdowns will be awesome! I can't wait!

I knew you were with us, I just had seen you post here more recently than the roll call. I just didn't know how early you were going to have to leave home to get to the port. I plan on going early, but if the ship is going to be late, I don't want to go early.

Your weather and location count down along with Alex's artistic and fun countdowns will be awesome! I can't wait!

We live about 1 Hour South of Cape Liberty, and will be on watch. When the Explorer's AIS system is picked up by a land station, we will receive an e-mail that the EXplorer is in range.

We live about 1 Hour South of Cape Liberty, and will be on watch. When the Explorer's AIS system is picked up by a land station, we will receive an e-mail that the EXplorer is in range.

That is great. Do you just enjoy watching the ship's status, or does one of you work in the Marine business somehow?

That is great. Do you just enjoy watching the ship's status, or does one of you work in the Marine business somehow?

Just a Hobby, on any Saturday or Sunday in the evening during the Summer it's common

to see the Cruise ships as they depart the NYC Harbor and head out to sea along the Jersey Shore :)

Any Dolphin Sightings ?? :) Is George Harms Co. doing the Construction ????

Well, I'm not on the site daily and when I've been there I've never seen the dolphins personally. I've heard they are gone, but no one knows for certain.

No... not Harms. UGH!! LOL... J.H. Reid. We built the Mantoloking Bridge.

Well, I'm not on the site daily and when I've been there I've never seen the dolphins personally. I've heard they are gone, but no one knows for certain.

No... not Harms. UGH!! LOL... J.H. Reid. We built the Mantoloking Bridge.

Thats 5 mins away from here, we do some fishing off the old bridge/Dock and crab under the new one.

Thats 5 mins away from here, we do some fishing off the old bridge/Dock and crab under the new one.

Well, you're in my old stomping grounds then. I'm a '79 grad of Brick High and lived in that area (Brick and Point Pleasant) most of my life except for college years and since I moved in with my GF in Wayne a couple years ago. I actually was living right off of Mantoloking Road for about a year... not too far from Hooper Ave. You must be in that area... or on the barrier island side, which is very nice if so!

Well, you're in my old stomping grounds then. I'm a '79 grad of Brick High and lived in that area (Brick and Point Pleasant) most of my life except for college years and since I moved in with my GF in Wayne a couple years ago. I actually was living right off of Mantoloking Road for about a year... not too far from Hooper Ave. You must be in that area... or on the barrier island side, which is very nice if so!

I could only dream to be on the Island. We are very Close to the RT 70 Bridge (That Harms) :( built. In Brick on the Point Border. We moved down here in 1992. Originally from North Jersey :)

I could only dream to be on the Island. We are very Close to the RT 70 Bridge (That Harms) :( built. In Brick on the Point Border. We moved down here in 1992. Originally from North Jersey :)

Ahhh, yes, I know that area quite well. I lived in PP for years since coming back from college and took River Rd. to 70/34/GSP every day while traveling to my office in South Plainfield. We've traded places now. :D

I don't know where you moved down from, but you have to admit... I don't know if any/many places have traffic worse than Brick on a Saturday morning! That is the ONE thing I don't miss for sure!!

Archived