Rental Car Info Needed

iamheretowinp

Hello,

We will be visiting Barbados/Bridgetown via cruise ship in March and are curious about what car rental places are available close by the port in Barbados. Wondered if anyone has used any of these companies for the day and what the prices were? Are there any license fees or insurance fees? Is there a fee if you are not over 25? Is the island easy to navigate as well?

We would appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Thanks so much!

I used Drive-A-Matic a couple of years ago. You can check out their rules/regs and prices at their website:

http://www.carhire.tv/

My ship overnighted and I took the long way, at my leisure, to drive to Bathsheba, where I spent the night.

Pick-up and drop-off were very convenient, as it was just outside the cruise terminal. I rented a Samurai convertible manual shift (it was the closest thing to what I drive (Jeep)).

1st, altho it was January, the sun was way too strong ... had to keep the top up.

2nd ... because you are driving on the left side of the road, the drivers side is on the right side of the car ... consequently, I had to shift with my left hand ... I never really got the hang of it.

3rd ... remember to stay on the left side of the road ... I would do fine until I had to make a turn at an intersection ... and then wonder why the oncoming car was in my lane.

4th ... having a co-pilot (navigator) who can read a map would be extremely helpful. I was driving solo and needed to stop every-so-often to make sure I was still on course. Signage could be improved ... small, weathered signs at intersections.

5th ... the strangest thing ... they wanted me to return the car with as little gas in it as possible. I thought this was a way to charge me a fortune for a fill up ... but, they didn't ... they didn't charge me anything for the gas.

It is best to buy their insurance.

Your policy from home will probably not cover you on Barbados. Barbados is not beholden to US contracts. Even if your insurance made good on your claim a few months down the road, Barbadean (sp?) authorities could hold you and you'll miss your sail-away. Considering the total cost of a cruise, this is really a very small fee to pay for peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Stoutes car rental booth right at the terminal - you need to rent in advance though to avoid disappointment.

As for navigation by car, make sure you have a good map, a bit of sense of adventure, a bit of humour, some extra time and understand that the honks are friendly not hostile.

It is fairly easy to get around but the road signage is fair to non-existent

Cheers

jaysue

Archived