rain forest tour

dan33

Depending on traffic, the drive (tour bus or otherwise) from the piers in Old San Juan to El Yunque National Forest about 60 minutes each way. So 2 of your 4.5 hours is spent on the road.

What does that tour cost and how many people are in your group?

The rain forest itself (being a US National Forest) is free.

So do the math and you may find it's more cost effective to rent a car, pile all your people in, and drive yourself. The drive is straightforward and easy.

If you drive yourself, you can see lots of cool stuff that you won't see on the ship excursion -- like Juan Diego Falls, Angelito Trail, and (depending on time) the peak of El Yunque.

Visiting the rain forest is a simple, DIY type of trip if you do a little homework first. Take a look at the El Yunque primer we've put together for our vacation guide. It has driving directions, trail descriptions and a trail map.

Then, after visiting the rain forest you can pop over to Luquillo Beach for a quick dip.

Of course, all of this depends when your ship docks and how long you're in port.

We are planning on renting a car and driving to El Yunque when our ship visits San Juan. That way we can hike at our own pace and see what we want to see. That will also give us (family of 3) time to stop at a local beach if we desire. The price of a car rental is so much cheaper than doing it as an shore excursion. Plus, we are going to be in San Juan long enough to enjoy both the rain forest and the old town. This board is a great place to find info and I hope I helped you.

• 4 months later...

Rented a car (charlie's) last Thursday and headed out to the rain forest. The drive is not that complicated. Just make sure that when you turn right at the exit for the rain forest (sign not that big), you turn soon again to your left just after keeping your right on that little street. Never found Angelito trail... Drove all the way up and came all the way back down all depressed at not finding it. Until we stopped at La Mina and the forest guide told us that it was the first trail when you enter the Rain Forest... We were so bummed. Well we did do La Mina... took us just about 1hr... and boy... did my calfs hurt after that - for three days actually! But it was really nice. Then went to Luquillo beach which had a very sandy bottom, so the water was not that clear but totally refreshing. :) ps. for some reason the bathrooms were locked with big time locks and their was no one around we found to onluck them so we could change or use them... ;(

• 2 weeks later...
Would you do this trip by yourself as a single woman on a friday morning?

Here is my opinion:

If you let someone know where you will be and stick to the usual (more popular) trails, then Yes, I think it would be fine for you to go alone. Stick to these trails: Big Tree, La Mina, Caimatillo, Oro de Bano, and part of El Yunque trail and Mt Britton. Because these are more popular, you won't be alone all that much. Or if you want to do some lesser used trails, just piggy back on to other people that are doing it. I am sure most people would understand and have no issue with you tagging along.

The real safety issue with being alone is if you get lost or hurt etc. But in my opinion, it is really hard to get lost if you stay on the trails.

You can also take the ranger's tour- it is a nice 1hr ($5) tour of Caimatillo trail- very interesting.

Archived