Activities in Belize & Santo Tomas de Castilla

BonnieVA

I'm hoping this doesn't get moved. I'm trying to figure out what to do in Guatemala so I'm looking for past Spirit cruisers who have been to both of the above ports.

We are going to Lamanai w/ NCL in Belize, which includes riding up a river by boat. I've heard the Rio Dulce in Guat is also beautiful. But if we see the river in Belize have we basically "been there, done that"? Should I try to do something which will take us up the Rio Dulce if we will also see the river in Belize? If you've seen one central-American river have you seen them all, lol?

Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping this doesn't get moved. I'm trying to figure out what to do in Guatemala so I'm looking for past Spirit cruisers who have been to both of the above ports.

We are going to Lamanai w/ NCL in Belize, which includes riding up a river by boat. I've heard the Rio Dulce in Guat is also beautiful. But if we see the river in Belize have we basically "been there, done that"? Should I try to do something which will take us up the Rio Dulce if we will also see the river in Belize? If you've seen one central-American river have you seen them all, lol?

Thanks in advance!

Look to top of this page --click on boards--go to ports o call board--click on Guatemala and belize and you find many threads on activities.

Big Green

DW and I went with Gus. We negotiated a trip up the river where we were dropped off for a Kayak trip back down the river. Along the way we were involved with Gus and his Humanatarian tour. People come with books, pencils and gifts forthe kids of Santo Thomas. It was an amazing adventure. The kids were precious and the trip up the river was breath taking. The Kayak ride back was strenuous. We were exhausted but happy. We had a wonderful lunch then went for a tour of Livingston. Loved the people and the sites. Gus really does alot to help his countries people. This was our favorite port. Do not stay at the port. where the ship docks. There is so much more to see. Have a great cruise

engineer

Look to top of this page --click on boards--go to ports o call board--click on Guatemala and belize and you find many threads on activities.

Big Green

DW and I went with Gus. We negotiated a trip up the river where we were dropped off for a Kayak trip back down the river. Along the way we were involved with Gus and his Humanatarian tour. People come with books, pencils and gifts forthe kids of Santo Thomas. It was an amazing adventure. The kids were precious and the trip up the river was breath taking. The Kayak ride back was strenuous. We were exhausted but happy. We had a wonderful lunch then went for a tour of Livingston. Loved the people and the sites. Gus really does alot to help his countries people. This was our favorite port. Do not stay at the port. where the ship docks. There is so much more to see. Have a great cruise

engineer

Thanks, but I've beeen to the Guat & Belize boards every day & I'm not looking for activity ideas. I'm asking about comparisons between the two rivers ... the scenery. I guess I shouldn't have titled my thread "activities".

We did Lamanai with NCL last year on the Spirit. It was awesome. We also did the Go with Gus Humanitarian tour in Guatemala, which was also awesome.

The two are totally DIFFERENT experiences.

I also didn't see any similarities with the New River in Belize and it's twisty curvy channels (I have no idea how they remember how to navigate that river) and the Rio Dulce in Guatemala which is much wider and not nearly as twisty.

Both rivers are very interesting rides with beautiful jungle scenery.

It really depends on what you see in/on these rivers. If they all look the same to you, then there's your answer. I don't see them that way.

But I've never been on either one so I wouldn't know.

We did Lamanai with NCL last year on the Spirit. It was awesome. We also did the Go with Gus Humanitarian tour in Guatemala, which was also awesome.

The two are totally DIFFERENT experiences.

I also didn't see any similarities with the New River in Belize and it's twisty curvy channels (I have no idea how they remember hot to navigate that river) and the Rio Dulce in Guatemala which is much wider and not nearly as twisty.

Both rivers are very interesting rides with beautiful jungle scenery.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. This one from Preds is exactly what I was looking for.

engineer

I've seen that kayaking is offered but I haven't heard from anyone who's done it. Sounds like fun. But we'll have young kids so I think it wouldn't be (1) allowed & (2) easy! If it was just me & dh it might be an awesome option. Thanks.

But I've never been on either one so I wouldn't know.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. This one from Preds is exactly what I was looking for.

FWIW, I'll also add that I wouldn't hesitate to do either tour a 2nd time. They were both excellant excursions.

FWIW, I'll also add that I wouldn't hesitate to do either tour a 2nd time. They were both excellant excursions.

Now, I'm interested! Can you tell me how long each of these excursions are? How far to you have to travel to do them?

Thanks,

Barbara

Now, I'm interested! Can you tell me how long each of these excursions are? How far to you have to travel to do them?

Thanks,

Barbara

Well they're both all day tours. Both pick you up right at the pier.

Lamanai involves a 60 minute bus drive to the dock in the river, with a short break before getting on the boat to navigate the river. You're on the boat another 45-60 minutes heading to Lamanai, leisurely stopping along the way to see all kinds of wildlife (crocs, birds, etc). Once at Lamanai, you're given a hot lunch (I believe it was grilled Mayan Chicken, it was very good). Then your guide will take you through the trails to the various ruins (we saw 3 temples) and there is enough time to scale the temples if you so choose (be careful with kids, as it's much easier going up than going down and it's MUCH steeper than it looks)! Once everyone is done with the ruins, you get back on the boat, only this time it's only about 30 minutes as you zoom through the channels without stopping for wildlife. Once back at the buses, you get a short bathroom break (with a few local vendors), then back on the bus for the 60 minute ride back to the pier. The Lamanai excursions are usually the LAST to make it back to the tenders. It's a long day, and one tour I truly recommend booking through the ship.

Guatemala with Gus is a bit different. Gus' boat will come right up next to the ship pier (right at the bow of the Spirit when we were there). You'll board Gus's boat for a 30 minute or so ride to Livingston, where he'll stop at his hotel for a refreshment and soda break. Then it's onward up the Rio Dulce, leisurely stopping for scenic sites along the way (including talking to local fisherman, showing you the local grocery store, etc). You're on the river a solid 45-60 minutes or so until he gets near a local Mayan school (he visits several different schools, never the same one back to back or usually in the same month). We then toured the school, met the children and their Teacher. The kids danced some traditional Mayan dances, and then we gave the kids supplies which virtually everyone in the group had brought along to donate (pencils, rules, calculators, paper, crayons, backpacks, etc). Gus also cooked some traditional Mayan tortillas on the hot stones for everyone to try. We then headed back down the river, diverting onto a different channel to the main "tourist" area, before eventually landing back in Livingston at Gus's hotel for late lunch. You're then served a hot meal that includes the fish of the day (caught fresh out of the river), or a chicken dish. Drinks (including beer) were included. Then you get a short walking tour of the small town of Livingston and the local street vendors before eventually returning back to the boat and a 30 minute ride back to the ship (drop off is right at the pier). We got back with 30-60 minutes to spare.

I'll post a couple pics in a minute to wet your appetite!

Thanks, Preds, for taking all that time to post those great pics of the 2 different rivers/scenery!! They were helpful. Do you happen to know if there'd be anything for a vegetarian to eat on both NCL's Lamanai & Gus' Rio Dulce trips? What was that round thing to the right on the plate you showed a pic of? (I'm a veg.) BTW, I think I freaked you out a bit a few weeks ago when I asked what high school you went to & talked about my friend graduating in '86 ... I figured you might have also graduated then because I looked & saw you were 40, which is ... gulp ... my & my friend's age too.

flashdog, I went to the hotel Casa Rosada website just yesterday &, unfortunately, it says they take groups of at least 7 (or 8?). And we only have 6 in our family. So I didn't persue them as an option. Did you use them while in Guat?

Thanks, Preds, for taking all that time to post those great pics of the 2 different rivers/scenery!! They were helpful. Do you happen to know if there'd be anything for a vegetarian to eat on both NCL's Lamanai & Gus' Rio Dulce trips?
I'm sure they'll accommodate you in some way (Gus especially, his goal is to make you happy, real nice guy. I'd suggest you email him).

What was that round thing to the right on the plate you showed a pic of? (I'm a veg.)
I believe it was a desert tart of some sort, can't remember exactly to be honest.

BTW, I think I freaked you out a bit a few weeks ago when I asked what high school you went to & talked about my friend graduating in '86 ... I figured you might have also graduated then because I looked & saw you were 40, which is ... gulp ... my & my friend's age too.
LOL, I remember that post. I was wondering how you guessed the year so perfectly LOL!

flashdog, I went to the hotel Casa Rosada website just yesterday &, unfortunately, it says they take groups of at least 7 (or 8?). And we only have 6 in our family. So I didn't persue them as an option. Did you use them while in Guat?

You can do it, then. It is for groups UP to 8 people. No more than 7 or 8. We had only 6 and it was very comfortable that way. The price would be for the boat, not per person. I haven't been to the website in a year so don't know the rate (but you probably do).

Do read my review of HAL's Veendam from March 06 (under flashdog_1). There you can read what I said about the excursion.

The prices are about the same as with Gus. You just get a more personalized trip, designed exactly for your family. Both Gus and Javier are very nice men. Just depends on what you want from your excursion. If I remember right from previous posts, you have 4 boys, and it might be a great advantage in having just your family together without others, so if anyone wanted to spend more time in a certain location, you could do so. Or for that matter, if something didn't interest you too much, you could do a quickie, or skip something altogether.

For instance, when we went to the hot springs, there were two fishermen there and no one wanted to try to swim with another activity going on. BTW the hot springs' heat is from platonic movements, not a volcano or anything like that! If you are too hot or tired you can skip the walk around Livingston. It's just up to you.

Javier does not have a booth on the dock. You have to reserve with him so he can show the authorities at the dock. He'd be right there for you at the designated time. His wife is Belgian and they have many European guests at their hotel. You can read reviews of it on trip advisor.

If you remember I went to school in VA, too. Just had my 50th high school reunion in Arlington!

Can you eat eggs? I'm sure it would be no trouble for either hotel's restaurant to whip you up an omelette, or make you a vegetable soup (or something of your choosing that you describe). We had coconut bread and salad with our fish/lobster or tapado, a local dish (delish!) containing fish and shellfish. After all, you place your lunch order before you go out on the Rio Dulce, so it's ready when you return.

I am remembering that Javier, in his Christmas greeting, said they were going to leave at Easter and be gone for 6 months, traveling to Europe and Viet Nam. But you can check with him.

You can do it, then. It is for groups UP to 8 people. No more than 7 or 8. We had only 6 and it was very comfortable that way. The price would be for the boat, not per person. I haven't been to the website in a year so don't know the rate (but you probably do).

Do read my review of HAL's Veendam from March 06 (under flashdog_1). There you can read what I said about the excursion.

The prices are about the same as with Gus. You just get a more personalized trip, designed exactly for your family. Both Gus and Javier are very nice men. Just depends on what you want from your excursion. If I remember right from previous posts, you have 4 boys, and it might be a great advantage in having just your family together without others, so if anyone wanted to spend more time in a certain location, you could do so. Or for that matter, if something didn't interest you too much, you could do a quickie, or skip something altogether.

For instance, when we went to the hot springs, there were two fishermen there and no one wanted to try to swim with another activity going on. BTW the hot springs' heat is from platonic movements, not a volcano or anything like that! If you are too hot or tired you can skip the walk around Livingston. It's just up to you.

Javier does not have a booth on the dock. You have to reserve with him so he can show the authorities at the dock. He'd be right there for you at the designated time. His wife is Belgian and they have many European guests at their hotel. You can read reviews of it on trip advisor.

If you remember I went to school in VA, too. Just had my 50th high school reunion in Arlington!

Everyone here on CC is so great w/ helping fellow cruisers out!

I think I did read your review. Honestly, I have read SO much that I can't remember who wrote what about what. I'll have to go back & search for it. And when I think I know what we should do in Guat I change my mind! So right now I am just trying to decide if I should focus on the Rio Dulce area since I've heard good things about it, or if we should go somewhere else since we'll be on the river in Belize. It seems like the 2 would give us different experiences, which is good. But I really don't want my boys to be "boated" out, either. We were hoping to see the real Guatemalan way of life, even if that means seeing run-down neighborhoods. We were even hoping to visit an orphange but I don't know how that would be arranged. But we couldn't do that if we went up the river, ugh!

Regarding Casa Rosada, this is copied from their site: "Personalized tours are guided by Javier Putul, with a minimum of seven passengers." I guess I could contact them & ask since you say otherwise, but I wonder if he's changed his policy about # of pax. And I didn't see any prices posted but maybe Ididn't look hard enough.

I do eat eggs & dairy.

We will be there the week before Easter so maybe they'll still be around.

Thanks!

You might want to tell Javier to fix his website as it states "Personalized tours are guided by Javier Putul, with a minimum of seven passengers" which is likely what discouraged Bonnie from looking further into his tour.

Personally, we were very happy with Gus's tour, and I think the boat only had maybe 20-25 people in it.

My husband and I, our two sons, a daughter-in-law, and 4 grandchildren ages 8-11 would fortunate to get to do the tour with Jaxier on January 21st. It was awesome and all of the various ages had a great time! We paid $50 pp, but the meal at the hotel was extra. Some of us had the tapado soup which has a broth base of coconut mild and shrimp, fish, crab, and plantains that cost us $14 and others had grilled shrimp served over rice and veggies for $12. The tapado was wonderful, but one of my big, brave sons wouldn't touch in when he saw the whole fish and crab in it. haha One of the highlights was visiting a village and the children sang to us. It was a great experience for all of us, especially the grandchildren. If you take this excursion be sure to take candy, etc. to hand out to the children.

The next day we had the Lamanai Ruins excursion booked through NCL and I was afraid that the river part would be too similar to GT for the kids, but they still loved it. They were busy watching for crocs, which weren't to be seen on the GT tour. And then the ruins themselves are the best we have ever visited. Hope this helps.

Archived