New to Cruise Critic

Joshua 1 8

My neighbor told me about this site after I shared that I am going on a cruise in May.

I am in a terrible mess. Last year when we booked this cruise all seemed well with me but now 8 months later I am facing a crisis. I started losing my hair, it seemed like Alopecia but now I've experienced the lost of 90% of my hair. I ended up shaving my head because the hair kept falling out. Well, long story short I found out that I had two infected teeth from previous root canals. My hair is now growing some but still not in all areas and the new growth is so light you can't even see the hair that is growing. I am scared to death to go on this cruise because what am I too do? What if all my hair doesn't come back and how am I to deal with dressing nice with no hair? I do have a wig....but I hate how it feels and it probably won't be that great in the hot humid weather. It is a fairly good wig - everyone says it looks natural but I have only had to wear it in the winter, I can't imagine wearing it in the summer weather. Please help me understand how people might respond to someone that has little to no hair. I would love ideas on how to feel comfortable. Or what others have done.

Right now since it's winter I wear cashmere beanie type caps and feel somewhat comfortable but I am extremely sensitive around strangers.

Thanks for any and all comments

Marilyn

Marilyn, I can't imagine how upsetting this all must be. And I can only give you my opinion, as I have never experienced this. Something that you might do to help things along would be to try taking the supplement Hair, Skin & Nails. I think you can get it at Wal-Mart as well as health food stores. I'm starting to take it because of thinning hair due to thyroid problems. I know several people who have had success w/ it. On the outside chance that your hair doesn't come back fully before your cruise, might I suggest that you buy some bandanas in assorted colors (again can be found at Wal-Mart). You could wear them "babuska-style" during the day. And maybe just wearing your wig in the evenings. You have some time to get more comfortable w/ your "look"; & maybe it won't be bad come May. You could go "au natural"; but you'd probably have a few people asking if you've had chemo or something like that. I'll keep my fingers cross that it's a "non issue" by that time.

During the day I recommend summer weight hats. They'll hide your head AND protect you from the sun's rays - you'll want to be extremely careful about sun exposure, especially on the top of your scalp, even as your hair grows back in (and fingers crossed that it will).

At night consider wearing your wig, you have time to style it and get comfortable with it before the cruise. Or look for things like silk scarves that match your outfits.

As to how people will respond, it's like all things in life. Some people might notice. Some people might be rude enough to stare. Some people may assume it's because of chemotherapy. And some people may be rude enough to ask why. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about people's reactions.

If people are rude enough to ask, I know what my grandmother did when she was having chemo was that when people asked she told them she "was starting a new style because it was much easier to handle." It was none of their business why just like it isn't anyone's business in your case. You've been through enough without having to satisfy anyone's curiousity.

Marilyn, I can't imagine the stress you are feeling and we all know that stress just makes it all the worse. I take it you are going on a "warm" cruise, rather than Alaska. As has been said, hats are great during the day. If you are still uncomfortable with your wig, then don't wear it. This is your vacation and you should be as comfortable and enjoy as much as possible. Try a beautiful scarf and maybe add some pretty earrings. A nice lipstick always looks great too. Whatever you decide, this is YOUR cruise and try not to worry about the others. Most passengers are wonderful, but there are always rude people out there. It is their loss not yours.

By the way, since you are new to Cruise Critic, go over to your Roll Call. You can find that under Roll Calls - find your ship and then the date of your cruise.

Have you been to a dermatologist? I know that there are topical creams and cortisone shots that can help. I have also known a couple of women with alopecia totalis (sp?) who had wigs made with special caps that were more comfortable for women with no/little hair.

MArilyn,

You've gotten some good advice here, and I'll add one more suggestion.

Depending on how much new hair growth you'll have by April or May (before your cruise), you might want to go and talk to a stylist that does hair extensions. They can do these on short hair as well as in small sections.

I would go and have consultation with a few stylists now so that you're prepared.

And start taking those vitamins now.

In the end, try not to dwell (I know easier said than done) but the truth is, no one on your cruise really cares what you look like! :)

There is a lady here that specializes in styling beautiful scarf looks for ladies who have had alopecia or chemotherapy hair loss issues. I saw an article is our paper a few years ago, and those women looked BEAUTIFUL! I'd get myself some beautiful scarves and play around with different ways of wearing them. :)

Of course, if your hair is thin, hats are a must. Sunburn of the scalp hurts!

I am a cancer survivor. I lost all my hair from chemo. I perspire like a horse and didn't want the upkeep of a wig. I chose to wear scarves and hats and treat myself as if I was a fashion model. I made sure my eyes were well made up and wore bright lipstick. Now my face was the emphasis and not my hair. I cannot begin to tell you how many compliments I received. I even had one man tell me I should continue to wear my scarves/hat even after my hair came back in. Hold your head high, really glam it up with makeup, jewelry, etc. and people will think you are choosing to make this fashion statement. Have fun with it - I know I did.

Here are a couple of sites to give you some ideas:

http://www.greatestlook.com/techniques/crown_scarf.html

http://www.greatestlook.com/techniques/kelly_scarf.html

http://www.fashionscarvesandshawls.com/headscarves.html

Cheryl

Thanks for all the support and the ideas.

I did go online and search for hair skin and nail supplements. I found a product that seems to get rave reviews "Hairtopia" it has a 45 day money back guarantee so I went ahead and ordered a months supply.

When I first shaved my head I bought several silk scarves and did experiment with different styles. I have a few different colored bandana's that are good for casual. I really love the cashmere caps that I found on line because they are not bulking winter type caps and as Suzy5555 stated if I wear earrings and make my makeup a bit more bold it's a look that I don't feel too self conscience.

I will look into extentions too, I guess I never thought about that.

I have cotton hats that I will wear in the sun for sure, being bald(ish) is bad enough but a big sore red head isn't going to be any fun.

And I will take my wig too. EVERYONE says that it is a great style for me and that no one can tell it's a wig so that is reassuring. Even my husband likes it. So I guess I just need to get over that it doesn't feel all that great.

My girlfriend's mother is a beautician and she does hair replacement. She has a large cancer survivor clientele. I believe she is listed with the cancer society. Check with the cancer society and see if there is someone in your area who does hair replacements. They are custom made wigs that are attached to the head.

You said you were in a mess. You are not in a mess. You are Blessed! The reason for your hair loss could be so much worse than dental problems.

Go on your cruise, thanking God that you are able to go on a cruise.

Have fun:)

...My hair is now growing some but still not in all areas and the new growth is so light you can't even see the hair that is growing. I am scared to death to go on this cruise because what am I too do?

...I am extremely sensitive around strangers.

On our very first cruise we went with my girlfriend and her husband. She had cancer and also had very little hair. She wore a wig on the formal nights just so that she could get a couple of good pictures, othere then that she just went with your almost bald head. I couldn't even imagine what it would have been like for her if she had felt like she needed to wear a wig in that heat the whole time.

Strangers are the last person you need to be sensitive around concerning your hair. Just think, you will never see these people again!

• 2 weeks later...
My neighbor told me about this site after I shared that I am going on a cruise in May.

I am in a terrible mess. Last year when we booked this cruise all seemed well with me but now 8 months later I am facing a crisis. I started losing my hair, it seemed like Alopecia but now I've experienced the lost of 90% of my hair. I ended up shaving my head because the hair kept falling out. Well, long story short I found out that I had two infected teeth from previous root canals. My hair is now growing some but still not in all areas and the new growth is so light you can't even see the hair that is growing. I am scared to death to go on this cruise because what am I too do? What if all my hair doesn't come back and how am I to deal with dressing nice with no hair? I do have a wig....but I hate how it feels and it probably won't be that great in the hot humid weather. It is a fairly good wig - everyone says it looks natural but I have only had to wear it in the winter, I can't imagine wearing it in the summer weather. Please help me understand how people might respond to someone that has little to no hair. I would love ideas on how to feel comfortable. Or what others have done.

Right now since it's winter I wear cashmere beanie type caps and feel somewhat comfortable but I am extremely sensitive around strangers.

Thanks for any and all comments

Marilyn

Why don't you buy a couple of nice silk scarves? Co-ordinate them with your outfits & you might even start a trend! Cooler than a wig for sure.

It's too bad you're self conscious about your hair loss. That must be hard, but..... do you remember Sinead O'Connar? Bald can be beautiful too - hold your head high, and smile and people will respond in kind.

Marilyn,

These ladies on the fashion board are the best, aren't they. I think that they've given you some great advice.

I just wanted to add that you should enjoy your cruise, play up your assets, and don't worry about the rest.

Have a great cruise and be sure to report back to us how things went.

Archived