Malaga: Benalmadena vs. Nerja caves with 4 y.o. ??

We're going to be on the R.C. 10 day Canary Island & Morocco cruise in March & are trying to settle on some of our excursions at the various ports of call. We tend to avoid the ships excursions, as with a 4 y.o. we need the flexibility to schedule our time on the fly as needed.

I'm very interested in the Nerja caves, but it sounds like it might be quite a trek from the port in Malaga? Benalmadena has the cable car, the Tivoli park and possibly a castle, which I think our daughter would love, but I'm still stuck on the idea of the caves. Would love input/commentary on the two...

Thanks!!! :)

Malaga port is a bit difficult for on your own excursions other than visiting the city of Malaga itself. Taxis are not readily available and are expensive for distant excursions. Some rent a car for a day but the car rental is not at the port.

I suggest you post your question on http://www.virtualtourist.com and http://www.tripadvisor.com. Both have forums for Malaga of Costa del Sol and local residents can offer suggestions about where to visit and how to get there.

Marty

nerja caves are quite spectacular but i would guess that a youngster wouldn't find it that interesting,our youngest was about 9 at the time and enjoyed it.the drive via car has reduced since they opened up the new motorway so i imagine it would take about 1 1/4 hrs to drive there now,we were in the area before the motorway,nerja itself i found very run down,you cound get the train down to pueto banus

We're going to be on the R.C. 10 day Canary Island & Morocco cruise in March & are trying to settle on some of our excursions at the various ports of call. We tend to avoid the ships excursions, as with a 4 y.o. we need the flexibility to schedule our time on the fly as needed.

I'm very interested in the Nerja caves, but it sounds like it might be quite a trek from the port in Malaga? Benalmadena has the cable car, the Tivoli park and possibly a castle, which I think our daughter would love, but I'm still stuck on the idea of the caves. Would love input/commentary on the two...

Thanks!!! :)

If you can get to the centre of Malaga and jump on the train (They run about every 30 minutes - cannot remember the fare but it is not expensive), its about 20 minutes to Benalmadena (Arroyo de la Miel), the cable car and Tivoli world are just 5 minutes walk from the station (up hill). The Arroyo has lots of Restaurants and bars and is reasonably cheap. Just down the road from the station on the way to the seafront is La Paloma Park (about 10 minute walk - down hill), This is one of my favourite places in Benalmadena, peacocks, other birds and animals just wandering about and a large Pond (lake) with turtles and terrapins and water fowl. There is also the Selwo Marina with Dolphin shows (pay extra) in the park. Benalmadena Costa (The Promenade - 5 minutes from the bottom of Paloma park) is a very nice walk and the Marina, which contains SeaWorld, at the end has won lots of awards, this walk would take you quite a distance from the Train station but Taxi's back up are not too bad.

I cannot really comment on the caves of Nerja as I have never been to them, but have stayed in Benalmadena plenty of times and always have found plenty to do.

have fun :D;):D

I live about 40 mins from Malaga. The traffic in the City is a nightmare. If you take a private tour leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. Tivoli will probably not be open except at weekends and then only most things are open in the evening. It is a bit run down and has financial problems. Nerja caves are good (although in my opinion when you have seen one you have seen them all) There are also a lot of slippery steps for a child.

As someone said the local train is good way of getting around. Mijas a small white village in the mountains, lots of touristy twee shops and great views. There are Donkeys too. About 30 mins from the Port.

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips! As much as I'd love to see the caves it sounds like it may be a bit far - esp. with a preschooler. I think we'll give more thought to Benalmedina & the other suggestions.

Thanks!!

Archived