distance from La Romana airport to ship

Hi I was wondering how long we will be from airport to ship. I have read various reviews and some say from 15 mins to an hour. I have also read that some of the buses have staggered leaving times so that passengers are not standing around in the heat at the quayside. I am trying to calculate when we will be on board, we are flying from Glasgow at 11.05 am. I know some flights that have flown from Glasgow have previously flown at 10.05 am but they have moved our flights forward an hour. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.:eek::confused::cool:

We went from ship to airport in about 15 minutes. Yes the buses departure times were staggered from the ship, but once at the airport it was a case of organised chaos on the part of the airport staff! I don't know if you have been to the Caribbean before, but we feel you just have to go with the flow and not get het up if it seems like things are a bit disorganised. Some people's blood pressure must be through the roof with all the fretting and chuntering they do. Personally I wouldn't try to work out too accurately what time you'll get on board, after all the ship won't sail without you. Have a lovely time!

Hi

It was definitely only about 15 minutes from airport to ship. We had to sit on the coach for about 20 minutes after boarding but the coach was air conditioned and we must have been on the coach within 5 minutes of getting off the plane - just a walk across the tarmac, through what almost seemed to be a side gate and into the coach park. Total time plane to cabin not much more than an hour. It couldn't have been quicker or more efficient. We didn't see our luggage until it arrived outside our cabin. When we got off the coach, we were in a short queue to check in - maybe 15 minutes - and our plane from Manchester was 2 hours late so there may have been more of a build up than if we had been on time.

We felt it was all very painless. Nice, gentle, 2-3 minute stroll down from check-in to the ship itself.

Coming back, wasn't too bad. We queued at check in for about 20 minutes and we were possibly about three-quarter way back in the queue. The Thomson Rep did tell us that previous weeks had been rather more chaotic but perhaps they are getting the hang of things now. It is, after all, quite a lot of people to dump on a small airport all at once. Not very impressed with the security staff - see previous posts! The airport itself is rather basic - more like a glorified bus terminal but not too bad for a fairly short wait and our plane did leave on time - in fact, early! But whatever happens, this is the Caribbean ............

EH1 - Not sure that there is much to look at actually in the vicinity of where Destiny docks. We were the only ship there - it actually looks quite rural! You'll see!!! You will be able to go on trips on the middle Sunday but, unlike other Thomson ships I have been on, they didn't advertise that some of the morning trips were suitable for passengers going home later in the afternoon. We, for Manchester, disembarked at 2.10pm and, although we weren't last, I don't think anyone left an awful lot later than that. By the way, read the post about your husband's job and was so sorry. But go and have a wonderful time - everything always works out in the end.

Sandie

Hi Sandie

You say you did not see your luggage from the plane until it reached your cabin. We have recieved our tickets but these do not show the cabin number. When will we know this and more to the point how will they know where to deliver the luggage:confused:? Thanks

Actually quite glad to hear that Sandie it was hubby who wanted to go exploring! thanks for your kind thoughts as you say what the heck you only live once and we'll have some great memories when we're living on beans n toast

Elaine

Hi Sandie

You say you did not see your luggage from the plane until it reached your cabin. We have recieved our tickets but these do not show the cabin number. When will we know this and more to the point how will they know where to deliver the luggage:confused:? Thanks

When you receive your paperwork etc at the check-in point at the port, you will be given stickers with your cabin no on them.

You then have to locate your luggage that will be at the side of the ship and put on your stickers.

Your luggage will then be delivered to your cabin.

Geoff

Hi

Meg29

Sorry - I had forgotten that we first saw our luggage at the quayside and had to put the stickers on that we had been given at check-in. Terrible what old-age does to you!!!

EH1 - Beans on toast aint that bad - once did it voluntarily on the F Plan diet and also once, for economic reasons, lived on baked potatos for weeks - and it was before they became fashionable!

Sandie

• 3 weeks later...
When you receive your paperwork etc at the check-in point at the port, you will be given stickers with your cabin no on them.

You then have to locate your luggage that will be at the side of the ship and put on your stickers.

Your luggage will then be delivered to your cabin.

Geoff

Update after holiday:

At the UK airport (Manchester) we were given labels for our cases with our cabin no. on them. Then we checked in the cases and did not see them again until they appeared outside our cabin.:)

What I stated earlier was what happened on previous cruises.

Archived