Hong Kong Kwai Chung area. Facilities at/near by

ORCHARD57

We are on a cruse with Princess Cruises the Diamond Princess that call at Hong Kong

We are advised that we will be berthing HK International Terminal (Terminal 4 - Berth Number 6) in Kwai Chung area.

We are looking for feedback regarding:

Are taxi’s available very near the terminal?

How far away is the MTR station? (We understand it is "Kwai Fong Station"

Has any one done an excursion from this terminal to Lantau Island?

Did you call Princess to determine where the Diamond Princess will dock? I am interested in this as we have a private tour company picking us up at the dock. Currently the tour company lists Modern Terminal at Kwai Chung but it would be great if I knew exactly where. Did you talk to just the 1-800 Princess number or someone in shore excursions to determine where they will berth?

As for your questions, we have never been to HK before, but I can give you some information from research I have done. The HK MTR web site is wonderful:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/

You can access the MTR map there, as well as put in your "leaving from" location and "destination" and get a map of how to get to where you want to go and how long it will take you. I found the maps especially helpful.

As for Lantau Island, I did get a quote from a tour company to pick us up at the dock and go to Lantau Island; however, after doing research, I determined that we could do this on our own by taking the MTR. I have detailed information on that, as well as maps, if you are interested in doing it on your own or I can provide you with the information I have for the guided tour to Lantau Island. You can email me at FSusman at comcast.net if you want any of that information.

Hopefully someone else can let you know about taxis and which MTR station is close. I did locate the Kwai Fong MTR on the map. It is on the red line.

I would recommend that you take the shuttle into town then go to the MTR station and purchase an octopus card which you can use for all local transport at a reduced cost. Additionally if you are 60 or over you get the senior rates. From the station get a train to Tung Chung on the Tung Chung line where you can get the NP 360 skyway that takes you to Ngong Ping which is a short walk to the Big Buddha ( the tallest free standing Buddha) in Lantau. After seeing the Buddha and Monastery you can take a bus to Mui Wo where you can grab a ferry back to Central HK.

Try the following website where you can get all the info you will need for HK. You can get round HK without any problems as most speak a bit of English and all signs are in English. http://www.hongkongextras.com/index.hmtl

Have a nice trip, we will be there end of this month.

Steve

Bufrenee has good advice. Diamond will dock at the container terminal and the area is very commerical. Ship will provide a shuttle to Ocean Terminal where shops, hotels, MTR, Star Ferry, buses and restaurants abound. Not sure if the container terminal will allow private tours or taxis to enter the area to pick up people. But there will not be a bank or currency exchange facility until you leave the container port area. We've been to HK many, many times and have stayed for as long as three months. Our cruise in March will dock at Ocean Terminal because we are on a smaller ship.

Did you call Princess to determine where the Diamond Princess will dock? I am interested in this as we have a private tour company picking us up at the dock. Currently the tour company lists Modern Terminal at Kwai Chung but it would be great if I knew exactly where. Did you talk to just the 1-800 Princess number or someone in shore excursions to determine where they will berth?

As for your questions, we have never been to HK before, but I can give you some information from research I have done. The HK MTR web site is wonderful:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/

You can access the MTR map there, as well as put in your "leaving from" location and "destination" and get a map of how to get to where you want to go and how long it will take you. I found the maps especially helpful.

As for Lantau Island, I did get a quote from a tour company to pick us up at the dock and go to Lantau Island; however, after doing research, I determined that we could do this on our own by taking the MTR. I have detailed information on that, as well as maps, if you are interested in doing it on your own or I can provide you with the information I have for the guided tour to Lantau Island. You can email me at FSusman at comcast.net if you want any of that information.

Hopefully someone else can let you know about taxis and which MTR station is close. I did locate the Kwai Fong MTR on the map. It is on the red line.

Hi Fran,

Tried to send an email, but must have made a mistake in the address. Would appreciate any info you might be able to provide on Lantau Island. Planning to visit it the second day we are in Hong Kong. Email to hilldr at cox.net

Thanks,

Dennis

Archived