Reef Yucatan

mnsawyer

I thought I read somewhere on this board that cruisers took an excursion to this resort which was not far from the port. I did find the website and it looks pretty good. Anyone been there and can share their experience - good, bad or otherwise? I believe the person who posted the information said it was available at the market in Merida (shuttle from dock to town??)

I was at the Reef Club about 4 years ago (not as a ship's excursion but for a week long vacation). We enjoyed the resort. It was well run and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was good. The pools were nice. The beach was a very good beach for walking. The swimming was just OK. Being located on the Gulf of Mexico, the water was not as clear and beautiful as it is in the Playa Del Carmen/Cancun area. There is no snorkeling. If you like to fish, we were told the fishing is excellent. It is located in Telchac Puerto near Chic Xalup - which is not far from Progreso (about 1/2 hour if my memory is accurate).

Checked out the website...is this a time share? Mentions something about membership?? If you go to the resort through the day pass, do you have to sit through a time share presentation?? That typically goes with time share resorts (if this one is...)??

Bearing in mind that my info is probably a bit out-of-date:

We enjoyed our week there. The resort is attractive. The pools are pretty. Lots of hammocks by the beach for relaxing when we were there. The beach is nice for walking and the ocean is OK for swimming (no snorkeling though). (The ocean is NOT as nice as the Cancun/Playa Del carmen area - water not as clear because this is the Gulf of Mexico (water is greenish not blueish)) However, the beach at the Reef Club is MUCH nicer than the beach in Progreso and the water is cleaner. The food was pretty good and the drinks were quite good (unlike most resorts in Mexico, the daiquiri's and Pina Coladas were individually blended up for you (not from a machine)). The staff are friendly and accomodating.

• 2 months later...

We were on the elation in april, and there were folks selling a 25.00 all you can eat/drink trip to the reef right at the pier. We did it... best day ever... good sun, great drink, very very nice pool, OK beach... water not that clear, but the pool made up for it.

Thanks for your recent post. I believe I've read that this resort is still offered and is our plan for Progresso. From the website, the beach looks for like a Florida gulf coast beach?? Also, was there plenty of areas of shade - tiki huts, umbrellas, etc. How was the lunch? I assume that was extra? We love to walk along the beach and this sounded like a great place. Plus, the fresh water pool is wonderful! Wish the cruise ships had them! Was it mostly cruisers that were there that day? Any other information you can pass along is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Mary

mnsawyer. The upper and western part of the state of Yucatan is in fact on the Gulf of Mexico. Not the Caribbean. That's why the water is not as clear.

I've heard that the Progreso beach is a good place for shell collecting.

Archived