Wind Surf "travelogue"

Xoe

I've just finished my photo album for Wind Surf's January 11 journey; it's now posted on my site: http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com . It's in travelogue format, with captions and descriptions to tell about each day's ports and activities.

It was a great trip, including the ship and her crew, our ship's shore excursions (my favorite being the catamaran to Soufriere on our day on St. Lucia), our small hotel on Barbados (2 days before, 1 day after the cruise), our private land tours (on Grenada, Dominica, and Barbados), and our snorkel day on Barbados on Silver Moon on January 10.

I'll be doing a cruise review soon, to be posted under ship reviews. Meanwhile, I hope this photo link may be helpful to anyone taking this cruise in the future. HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Thanks for sharing. I plan to view them again with my wife as part of our V-day celebration later today.

We are on the 3/1 Windsurf cruise. I haven't found your review as yet, but did have a couple of questions.

Like so many others in this economy, we'd heard that Windstar was having financial difficulties. We'd seen some indication of this in one of the reviews, 1e. the sails were never used or functioning , varnish was peeling etc. Did you see or experience and effects of possible cost cutting ?

Also, did you have a late flight out on your returning Sunday. Do you know if any of the private tour operators had anything to offer, or are we tied to the seemingly overpriced ships tour or renting a car for a few hours ?

Thanks again for your great insights !!

Like so many others in this economy, we'd heard that Windstar was having financial difficulties. We'd seen some indication of this in one of the reviews, 1e. the sails were never used or functioning , varnish was peeling etc.

Based on a conversation with the captain on the Surf my understanding is that the use of the sails results in a significant cost saving.

Now the discussion was specifically about the crossing but I'm struggling to see how that wouldn't be the case for other cruises. The use of the sails is (essentially) free whereas engines aren't.

Mands

about posting my ship review; you haven't found it because I've not yet done it! Life has been busy lately.

Overall I thought Wind Surf was well maintained. There were a few things that needed doing, such as replacing the metal strips on the edge of exterior stair steps coming from the Veranda Restaurant down to the next deck. The staterooms (that we saw) seemed in fine condition, and as always I was favorably impressed with the comfortable beds, fine amenities, and clever lay-out that takes full advantage of every square inch of cabin space.

I guess I don't expect ships built in the 1980's to be like new. I love these ships, which really are ships rather than floating hotels, and can give them some slack if not everything is perfect at all times. The crew were wonderful, from top to bottom.

This was my 4th Windstar cruise. I have a preference for the smaller two, Wind Star and Wind Spirit, mainly because they are smaller, and I also slightly preferred their itineraries (Costa Rica, Virgin Islands, and Spain/Portugal) to the southern Caribbean out of Barbados. That is NOT to say I did not love Wind Surf's journey, and our port days in the Windward Islands -- I had a fantastic time there, too.

As to how much the sails are used -- that seems to depend a LOT on wind direction and weather, which makes sense. We were under sail over 90% of our Costs Rica cruise on Wind Star, much less on Wind Spirit in the Mediterranean, and it was easy to see why by standing on deck and noticing wind direction, also how complex it was to exit the ports and how long it took for the ship to be out of the harbor so it could safely use the sails. I also think some captains are much more enamored of the sails than others; some seem to LOVE to create a dramatic sailaway moment, while others seem more focused on the logistics and mechanics of leaving a port. The two smaller ships also seem more suited for grand sailaways, as on Star and Spirit, everyone gathers on the pool deck, whereas on Surf, the passengers are usually spread around on 3 different decks for the sailaways, creating a less cohesive moment.

Our Captain on the Spain/Portugal cruise on Wind Spirit in November mentioned that Windstar had over 90% passenger capacity, on average, for 2008, which was very good, and that 2009 was not looking that fully booked as of yet -- which should be no surprise to any of us. Let's hope those wonderful ships keep sailing for a long time!

On the subject of what to do on the Sunday you return to Bridgetown: if possible, stay an extra night so you have a "base" and a place to leave your bags so you can enjoy one more day on Barbados. We had 2 nights before, and 1 more after our week on Wind Surf. We booked Cameron Reid for a tour on our last Sunday there; he picked us up at the dock at 9:00, gave us an excellent 4-hour tour of his lovely island (with our luggage in the back of his vehicle), then returned us to Sandy Ground, the small hotel where we were staying one more night before flying back home on Monday. That was a GREAT plan: comfortable vehicle, excellent guide, and it was for just the 2 of us so we could ask to see what we most wanted to see, and stay exactly as long as we wanted to stay at a particular place. Much more appealing than the cruise line's transport to the airport, or their tour with afternoon airport drop-off.

Any more questions -- just ask!

about posting my ship review; you haven't found it because I've not yet done it! Life has been busy lately.

Overall I thought Wind Surf was well maintained. There were a few things that needed doing, such as replacing the metal strips on the edge of exterior stair steps coming from the Veranda Restaurant down to the next deck. The staterooms (that we saw) seemed in fine condition, and as always I was favorably impressed with the comfortable beds, fine amenities, and clever lay-out that takes full advantage of every square inch of cabin space.

I guess I don't expect ships built in the 1980's to be like new. I love these ships, which really are ships rather than floating hotels, and can give them some slack if not everything is perfect at all times. The crew were wonderful, from top to bottom.

This was my 4th Windstar cruise. I have a preference for the smaller two, Wind Star and Wind Spirit, mainly because they are smaller, and I also slightly preferred their itineraries (Costa Rica, Virgin Islands, and Spain/Portugal) to the southern Caribbean out of Barbados. That is NOT to say I did not love Wind Surf's journey, and our port days in the Windward Islands -- I had a fantastic time there, too.

As to how much the sails are used -- that seems to depend a LOT on wind direction and weather, which makes sense. We were under sail over 90% of our Costs Rica cruise on Wind Star, much less on Wind Spirit in the Mediterranean, and it was easy to see why by standing on deck and noticing wind direction, also how complex it was to exit the ports and how long it took for the ship to be out of the harbor so it could safely use the sails. I also think some captains are much more enamored of the sails than others; some seem to LOVE to create a dramatic sailaway moment, while others seem more focused on the logistics and mechanics of leaving a port. The two smaller ships also seem more suited for grand sailaways, as on Star and Spirit, everyone gathers on the pool deck, whereas on Surf, the passengers are usually spread around on 3 different decks for the sailaways, creating a less cohesive moment.

Our Captain on the Spain/Portugal cruise on Wind Spirit in November mentioned that Windstar had over 90% passenger capacity, on average, for 2008, which was very good, and that 2009 was not looking that fully booked as of yet -- which should be no surprise to any of us. Let's hope those wonderful ships keep sailing for a long time!

On the subject of what to do on the Sunday you return to Bridgetown: if possible, stay an extra night so you have a "base" and a place to leave your bags so you can enjoy one more day on Barbados. We had 2 nights before, and 1 more after our week on Wind Surf. We booked Cameron Reid for a tour on our last Sunday there; he picked us up at the dock at 9:00, gave us an excellent 4-hour tour of his lovely island (with our luggage in the back of his vehicle), then returned us to Sandy Ground, the small hotel where we were staying one more night before flying back home on Monday. That was a GREAT plan: comfortable vehicle, excellent guide, and it was for just the 2 of us so we could ask to see what we most wanted to see, and stay exactly as long as we wanted to stay at a particular place. Much more appealing than the cruise line's transport to the airport, or their tour with afternoon airport drop-off.

Any more questions -- just ask!

I'll be on the s/b Barbados Wind Surf on leaving 2/22. How much can we expect to pay for the private taxi tours in Barbados? I've seen posts that one can negotiate in town for $25 per hour or $125-150 for the day, but I received an email response from one driver for $35 per hour and from a tour company for $40 per hour. I also received a price quote for $25 pickup from the airport to the Accra Beach Hotel and $25 round trip from the hotel to Oistin's. Do you know if that sounds about right?

Also - would you recommend an itinerary or any particular sites for the 4 hour tour? Thx!

Linda

Cameron Reid's per hour charge was $35 (for him and his vehicle, which would easily have accommodated 4). Perhaps you can find a lower rate, but I doubt you can find as fine a driver/guide. On our day Cameron's colleague Colin did the driving so he could focus on explaining what we were seeing; it was a wonderful bargain, being picked up at the ship at 9:00, given a fine island tour, and being delivered to our hotel a bit after 1:00. The charge was $135, to which we added a generous tip because we got so much more than we'd expected: Cameron and Colin (who was especially knowledgeable about plant life -- a treat for us), not just Cameron, and a spacious A/C SUV, higher off the ground, resulting in better viewing, rather than a sedan.

My advice overall is to get the BEST tour you can; a difference of $20-30 is not important compared to the knowledge of your guide(s). In contrast, we used the same taxi driver for all our "short hauls" (airport-hotel, hotel-dock, hotel-airport); he was affable and reliable and enjoyable, but he was not a tour guide (nor did he claim to be).

On our Sunday tour with Cameron, we requested to see some ordinary neighborhoods where local people live, not just the scenic tourist places. Many places on Barbados are closed on Sundays, so we left the choice of highlights up to our guides, who would know what was open/closed that day. The Bathsheba area is a must-see, but I doubt you need to ask -- it will be included!

Our taxi from the airport to Sandy Ground (St. Lawrence Gap area) was $20, to which we added a $5 tip. Taxi from there to the ship was $25 (+ a tip). I think the taxi quotes you've received sound about right.

As well as Cameron Reid's private tour on Barbados, we had a fine private taxi tour on Dominica -- see the "ports of call" message boards for specific contact information.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Thanks for the info. Yes, the price differences are insignificant in the scheme of things. We went ahead and booked Gregory who was recommended on one of the boards (might have been frommer's) for an "idyllic" tour (bigone1959@hotmail.com). I'll report back how it goes. Did you have time for any of the sites, like the Wildlife Reserve, the caves, or St. Nicholas Abbey on your taxi tour or does it take 4 hours to do the tour along the coast?

Linda

You might need a longer tour if you want much time at any of the sites along the way, perhaps 6 hours instead of 4.

We were disappointed to learn that the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary had closed in December. Our hosts at Sandy Ground were active in trying to keep this lovely place open, and were disappointed and frustrated with its closure, apparently due to bureaucratic tangles. It was a short distance from Sandy Ground; we would have been able to WALK there, had it been open, and we would have enjoyed visiting it -- but, not any more. In case you want to read about it: http://www.graemehall.com/ .

Have a grand time. I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from one week on the Wind Surf round the Caribbean. Beautiful Ship, lovely cabin, friendly crew.

Economies seem to be apparent in the evening meals. Degrees is a set menu for two days at a time, so three menus during the week. Both the service & the food were variable.

Candles & ?other outdoor rear deck venues only useable two nights due weather, & again fixed menus ,service variable.

"The Restaurant "with open seating was good for meeting other passengers, service good and food consistently ok.

Considering how good lunch & breakfast were, it was disappointing that the evening meals were not as good as expected.

WRT the sails. whilst in use 90% of the time during the night cruises, only two sails in use during the one daylight cruise, & I did not get a daytime picture with all sails in the entire week.( Sails not used on the Sailaway from St Lucia as the winds were too strong) The sails do provide at times 50 % of the propulsion.

Overall an enjoyable week, but not up to the standard expected.

Regarding only 2 sails being used, on our January sailing they flew in a repair crew from the shipyard (I think) to work on the rigging.

The cables were fraying and they put in a re--inforcing cable

(kind of a Mcgyver type job) in one area. They used 3 sails at the start of the cruise, then quickly had the temporary repair done then only used

2 sails for the remainder.

I looked at the rigging with my binoculars and some of the other cables

did not look great either. I suspect when in drydock (April) they may

have to do some more permanent repairs.

I agree about the budget and food, Breakfast and lunch was always very

good, dinners were hit and miss....

Archived