Calorie count

css

FYI,

I eat anything that appeals while on a cruise, fattening, fried, gravies, sauces, whatever. I do visit the gym but no more than 3 times on a 7 day cruise, [and less] But we DO use the stairs all the time and after EVERY meal we walk the boat deck at its longest point and we do at least a half dozen laps for each meal. Just walking. I drop about 5 lbs. on a cruise, Barb drops 1 or 2 [Not sure why I catch hell for that?:D]

Plus, in port, I think EVERYONE is more active [walking, standing, sitting, in and out of taxis etc.] than they are at home.

Dan

Well...let's see. That's 5 pounds/cruise X 50 cruises = 250 pounds. QUICK...somebody go call Oprah!

Well...let's see. That's 5 pounds/cruise X 50 cruises = 250 pounds. QUICK...somebody go call Oprah!

You may make all the Smart Azz remarks that make you self pleased. I have attempted to civilly answer some of your questions. But it becomes totally obvious to all and any that you only wish to harass and harangue in a totally negative way.

I have you now on IGNORE forever. Comment all you want. You ARE ignored.

Dan

Pickle,

I agree with you on the plates filled at the buffet. I don't care if someone eats 10,000 or 20,000 calories PER MEAL, that is their business, not mine.

But when they LOAD 6 lbs. of food on a plate, EVERYONE knows that food WILL be ice cold long before it COULD be consumed. And EVERYONE knows most of it will be wasted and thrown in the garbage. There is no limit on the number of trips thru the buffet line. If they would put a 'reasonable' amount on their plate, eat that, then go back for more, FINE! Their business. The waste concerns all of us.

EVERY time I go to the buffet, I see something appealing when my plate is filled. I always think to myself, "next trip." and pass it. Its 10 or 15 years now since I went back for that next load.

Dan

This thread has got me thinking about excess and waste. And hopefully this isn't considered thread hijacking--it applies somewhat to the OPs question. My concern is, I'm a reasonably environmentally-minded person. I do my part to reduce my footprint on the world, but I'm not a crazy tree hugger or anything. I recycle a lot, but not as much as some people. I try not to waste water, electricity etc. I have a 10th floor view of Galveston Island, so I see the ships in port. The whole time their in port (and in operation anywhere for that matter), they're burning fuel, creating a gross black cloud of pollution. That, coupled with the fact that probably tons of food gets thrown away on cruises from the "plate loaders" has me thinking of how wasteful cruising is. Does anyone have any data on what gets thrown away? Or, for others like me, how do you reconcile taking such a wasteful vacation (not that they all aren't in some way or another)?

I work out a lot. I typically watch what I eat, ideally eating 4-5 smaller meals a day. At least eating 3 plus a snack. It's all portion control. If you're excercising regularly, you need the nutrients and calories provided by food not pills or "energy" bars/drinks and skipping meals. Portions. Eat until you are a 7 or 8 on a 1-10 (with 10 being Thanksgiving Day overstuffed) scale. Keep hydrated, mostly water. Tap is just fine. Flavored may help you drink a bit more. Counting calories (intake and outflow) is a sure way to go nutsy. You will inevitably undercount intake and overcount outgo, and then get perplexed becasue you didn't lose a pound this week.

However, on a cruise, keeping to a strict dietary regime is probably not going to happen! Ergo, don't fret over it!! Don't be a glutten, but don't go all worrywart over having a chocolate melting cake for dessert after a day of semingly constant noshing.

There are some sensible suggestions on this and other threads. Walk a lot, keep active on shore excurisons. Be reasonable about portions. Order sensibly in sizes and pick over selections at buffets. They aren't going to runout of food. Don't guaff down your food like you haven't eaten in weeks or if you come up for air your table mates will scarf it oof your plate and you won't get anymore. Slow down your rate of food intake. Chew, swallow, put down your fork and breathe before taking the next bite. When you're starting to feel full... Stop!

Yes, you're gonna eat more on a cruise than you would at home. So be it! It's a vacation!

By all means, if you have health issues, like heart disease or diabetes and/or are truely obsese (not just maybe 5 punds over what your Wii Fit says you should be) follow your presribed diets to the utter best of your ability. Enlist fellow cruisers to help you in a positive way, like pointing out more healthful choices or joining you for a walk around the deck.

But the point of taking the cruise is to have fun and enjoy yourself. And if that means indulging in an ice cream cone at 2PM or a 2nd DOD at 5, then relax and enjoy. Resolve to work on weight and eating habits before you go and after you get back.

Thanks to Kurbanfan and Skay for your support!

I will definitely be taking the stairs whenever possible. Given that I have an aft cabin on A deck, most everything is up and down the stairs.

I will probably limit my portions at meals, but still eat what I want.

That said, I don't want to gain any weight on the cruise. I would like to slim down, if anything. We'll see how I do after my little one on sea days and on the excursions...

;)

This thread has got me thinking about excess and waste. And hopefully this isn't considered thread hijacking--it applies somewhat to the OPs question. My concern is, I'm a reasonably environmentally-minded person. I do my part to reduce my footprint on the world, but I'm not a crazy tree hugger or anything. I recycle a lot, but not as much as some people. I try not to waste water, electricity etc. I have a 10th floor view of Galveston Island, so I see the ships in port. The whole time their in port (and in operation anywhere for that matter), they're burning fuel, creating a gross black cloud of pollution. That, coupled with the fact that probably tons of food gets thrown away on cruises from the "plate loaders" has me thinking of how wasteful cruising is. Does anyone have any data on what gets thrown away? Or, for others like me, how do you reconcile taking such a wasteful vacation (not that they all aren't in some way or another)?

Well you could start with any of the various estimates of fuel usage. I've read 1Gallon of fuel used for each 6 INCHES the ship moves,, 1 Gallon per foot and 2 feet per gallon. Not exactly Econo-ships.

Dan

OP thank you for starting this thread.

I have two cruises coming up this month. I have some formal events coming up next month and I can't afford to gain any weight.

My daughter and I have been working together to eat healthy and workout every day. (she will be with me on our second cruise)

We are both concerned about how we will handle all the temptations on board. I plan to avoid the buffett area as much as possible. Or go in scan everything, pull together an intelligent plate and then get the heck out of there and no going back for seconds. Much like if you go to the grocery store you don't walk in and just start scarfing down or filling your basket with everything.

I also like room service as I can order something with my head and not let my taste buds/big eyes rule the day and the portion size is controlled.

My problem is I get curious and want to try a little of everything.

Plan to drink lots of water. We will take on a bunch of our own and Crystal light packets. I do like a glass or two (okay 3 now and then!) of wine.

At dinner plan to eat salmon and steamed veggies or just a baked potatoe and indulge in dessert - but share it with hubby. On my last Carnival cruise I ordered just a side salad and a plate of steamed veggies one night and the waiters kept trying to feed me more. They were concerned that I had issues with their menu/service/quality etc.

No bread or pasta due to a recently diagnosed wheat allergy that causes painful tummy problems.

I also plan to workout/walk the ship and take the stairs 95% of the time. I won't the 5% of the time I'm in heels on a ship that's rocking.

Even with my careful planning I still usually put on 5 pounds (this time may be different since all those tasty breads/rolls/cookies/pastas as out of the equation). Arrrgghhh! I am determined to win this time!!! I wish they had a diet support group on board like the have for the AA folks.

I also plan to workout/walk the ship and take the stairs 95% of the time. I won't the 5% of the time I'm in heels on a ship that's rocking.
Speaking of walking the ship, how many open decks are there on most Carnival ships on which you can walk completely around, like a track. (The running track on the Pride is short; it takes 15 times around to equal a mile. It would seem that walking fully around a deck must be more than a 1/4 mile track, which is better IMO.)

Skay

This is my first cruise. I hope to have many more. I have been checking out the menus, I don't know about all the ships but on ours there is the spa menu. Which seems to be much healthier. I was glad to see that. I want to enjoy myself without feeling like I am depriving myself.

No matter what you have to get room-service BLTs on The Freedom....no matter what!!

Archived