Need your advice on passport emergency

theos on the go

I'm sorry that I'm posting this on the cruise website but I know that everyone is so nice and helpful that this is the place to come.

I need to renew my passport quickly. My passport has been issued less than 15 years so I can renew.

My sister and her husband were involved in a car accident in Ireland. She is recovering from surgery (internal injuries), and he is in critical condition. His brother is on the way but he might need some help.

If I were to fly to a passport office would I get it within a day or two or do I have to wait the 2 weeks expediting. I don't know if the government will constitute the emergency for me because my sister is recuperating and is expected to get out of the hospital in about a week.

I have seen agencies on the internet that will charge for 24 hour service. Has anyone used any of them and how were the results?

Thank you for any advice that you can give.

First, my thoughts are with your family... how terrible to be so far away. I would check the internet sites, you can have them expedited. Also, what I did to expedite mine was to call my Senator's office years back and they were able to help, but it still took a week. There is a company online called "American Passports", I know they offer an expedited service... contact them and see if they can help.

Good luck to you :(

Contact your local US Representative and Senator. When my sister was injured in a train accident in France many years ago, our State Rep (now Governor of Ohio), arranged for us to fly to New York and get expedited passports, so we could fly over to be with her. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Joanne

You can actually get a passport the same day if you go directly to a passport office. Unfortunately, I found out first hand when I couldn't find my passport the night before our flight to Italy. You need to have a fight leaving in 72 hours (or something close to that). I don't know if the process differs at other offices, but here is what I had to do. I called the Passport Services helpline and made an appointment. I had to bring with me my birth certificate, pictures for my passport, and my airline tickets. I filled out the forms (also available online), showed up for the appointment, and went through the process with the agent. I returned about an hour later and received my passport.

Good luck and our thoughts are with you and your family.

Archived