Dogs on board???

Briarwood

Well they must have been qualified as service animals, however I've never seen a service animal that hasn't had perfect behavior, they are very stingently trained, they have an area they use for toileting away from the public areas, and service dogs are NOT puppies.

Unless someone pulled some unsavory strings to get these dogs catagorized as service dogs when in fact they aren't.

Smaller dogs can be just as helpful as the little ones as service animals btw, they are using them for epileptics too, somehow a dog can tell when a seizure is coming on and will warn their owners.

I think a true service dog is a wonderful and amazing thing, and equal freedom for people restricted from alot of experiences in life because of a handicap.

Carole

My 'puppies' are all adult dogs, however I call them puppies...:( Sorry you misinterpreted where I was going with my post...

We all understand the importance of 'service dogs', however the OP was concerned as to why small dogs were allowed onboard, which is something most of us have never seen...:o

And the one poster noted that the dog's toilet area was not in a 'remote spot'... And the lecture on 'service animals' was uncalled for... IMHO!

service dogs but these were little lap type dogs. The one guy carried it around a fiar bit, but somwtimes it was just walking along beside or ahead of him, and a couple times it even had no leash on. It stopped and checked out a couple of people at booths in the buffet dining area while people were having their refreshments. As I said, we just were curious as to whether anyone else had encountered this and maybe you're right...maybe they were "emotional support".

One belonged to some guy who was early to mid 30's, and one was a probably 50 ish woman. The other one I only saw a couple of times, and can't remember what the person looked like. It was just...there's another pet.

I actually just called Carnival to ask if pets are allowed and specifically told the rep about the dogs. He put me on hold and checked with customer service, and apparently if their papers are in order, and they have had all their shots, some people can bring certain types of pets onboard.

Huh, well, I'm not impressed. papers or shots, I don't really want to deal with peoples pets on board a ship. Especially in the area where people eat. And specifiaclly for the reason I mentioned earlier....or WORSE, as someone else mentioned...LOL.

Anyway, enough said, since it can be allowed, I guess I have my answer.

Nah, I'm with ya dude. Sounds like someone pushing the envelope of service dog definition. I love my dog, but she is banished from the kitchen during cooking, and from the DR during meals. The rule should be that any animal that licks itself should be banished from places where food is served. This includes humans :eek: :D

Well if they are used for epilepsy or even deaf people they can be little lap dogs, they only have to be able to do the task they are trained for, which is in epilepsy, warn of a emminent seizure and a deaf person, phone, door, fire alarm, little dogs are fine to do this, BUT a service dogs most certainly doesn't "stop to check people out" when they are working they have strict no petting or touching the dog, believe me I about died to pet that Golden on Glory:o.

I'm a total dog freak and have three at home, two lap dogs and big White German shep, but I do not want to sail with other peoples animals roaming around at wil, the service dogs I would think should at least need to be leashed. This is really a pickle and hopefully won't be considered a turn toward the norm.

I'm deaf without my cochlear, and I'm bringing my service animal :D

He also serves as a good coffee fetcher and a great heating blanket.

LOL but I don't need a license to carry since I'm married to him :p

Carole

My 'puppies' are all adult dogs, however I call them puppies...:( Sorry you misinterpreted where I was going with my post...

We all understand the importance of 'service dogs', however the OP was concerned as to why small dogs were allowed onboard, which is something most of us have never seen...:o

And the one poster noted that the dog's toilet area was not in a 'remote spot'... And the lecture on 'service animals' was uncalled for... IMHO!

It wasn't a lecture, I was pointing out that small dogs can be just as effective service animals as larger breeds depending what they are used for. Sorry if I offended you with talking about what I've read, however I am almost deaf and HAVE done alot of research on service animals. This IS a message board to share knowledge and experience and this thread IS about service animals.

And I'm most certainly not arguing the fact that the dog piddled on the floor, but I will stand by the statement that the service animals toileting area is not in a public area, this occasion sounds like a fluke and that someone pulled strings to bring their pets on a cruise, as I stated in my post.

So my advice to you is that if you don't like what I post you simply don't read it or you can put me on permanent ignore.

Oh and have a very nice day.

Carole

I love my dog, she's spoiled rotted at home, but I do not want to travel with other's "pets" onboard. On a recent stay at a hotel that allows dogs, I had one right acroos the room from me the howled and barked and scratched at the door for about 2 straight hours at a time when I was very tired. The owners were out to dinner and left the dog in the room.

The contract that I just read and signed for Carnival today states strictly no pets and I think that's the right policy for a cruise vacation. It sounds as if these dogs must have been classified as service dogs and it makes me wonder what is required for a dog to get this classification.

It would be a shame for people to start taking advantage of this policy to include their pets.

I love my dog, she's spoiled rotted at home, but I do not want to travel with other's "pets" onboard. On a recent stay at a hotel that allows dogs, I had one right acroos the room from me the howled and barked and scratched at the door for about 2 straight hours at a time when I was very tired. The owners were out to dinner and left the dog in the room.

The contract that I just read and signed for Carnival today states strictly no pets and I think that's the right policy for a cruise vacation. It sounds as if these dogs must have been classified as service dogs and it makes me wonder what is required for a dog to get this classification.

It would be a shame for people to start taking advantage of this policy to include their pets.

Totally agree with you MDSue.

There have been other posts in the past on this subject. "Service dog" is a very subjective term. People have been known to get their "pets" called service dogs so they can travel with them, and not because they need any assistance, but because they miss their "babies". LOL. They're animals, not people and unless someone really needs them for assistance, I have a real issue with this practice. Who decides what a "service dog" is? A Dr? Some doctors will do anything to shut their patients up.

There have been other posts in the past on this subject. "Service dog" is a very subjective term. People have been known to get their "pets" called service dogs so they can travel with them, and not because they need any assistance, but because they miss their "babies". LOL. They're animals, not people and unless someone really needs them for assistance, I have a real issue with this practice. Who decides what a "service dog" is? A Dr? Some doctors will do anything to shut their patients up.

Oh, I get it. Sort of like the people who have handicapped tags for their cars that don't need them.

Just returned recently from a lovely cruise on the Carnival Miracle, after trying both Princess several times, and RCCL, (havn't cruised Carnival since 2000)and was very surprised to find that several passengers had brought their small dogs on board, and were walking around the ship with the dogs in tow....including through the buffet, and adjacent restaurant. One of them piddled on the floor in the area between the buffet and the restaurant part, and the owner just carried on as if nothing had happened....someone could have slipped in the wet spot. I found this appalling, and the owner just kept walking, and yes, I'm sure he knew. I was sitting at a table where I saw it happen, and had to tell one of the staff so they could mop it up.

Is this the norm? I have NEVER seen this on any other ship in my 10 plus cruises, and have no objection if someone needs a service dog, but these were just people's pets. I am very surprised that Carnival allowed these pets on board.

Wow I've never seen that before. Humm Guess I'll just have to bring Dasiy Mae, my Chihuahua.

Just returned recently from a lovely cruise on the Carnival Miracle, after trying both Princess several times, and RCCL, (havn't cruised Carnival since 2000)and was very surprised to find that several passengers had brought their small dogs on board, and were walking around the ship with the dogs in tow....including through the buffet, and adjacent restaurant. One of them piddled on the floor in the area between the buffet and the restaurant part, and the owner just carried on as if nothing had happened....someone could have slipped in the wet spot. I found this appalling, and the owner just kept walking, and yes, I'm sure he knew. I was sitting at a table where I saw it happen, and had to tell one of the staff so they could mop it up.

Is this the norm? I have NEVER seen this on any other ship in my 10 plus cruises, and have no objection if someone needs a service dog, but these were just people's pets. I am very surprised that Carnival allowed these pets on board.

Service animals come in all shapes and sizes and serve different purposes.

I assume that you actually asked the passengers with the dogs if they were pets or service animals otherwise you cant possibly know.

So what did they say when you asked them?

Not all dogs are large or only serve the blind.

Please take time to do some research. It never hurts to learn something new. :)

It is none of my business why someone has a dog on board. Carnival and other lines have strict policies about this and I am sure they took care of the details and saw the proper paperwork that is required.

So please educate yourself on the topic before getting upset.

ask them if the dogs were pets or service, I was too surprised to see them. Therefore, since I didn't ask, they didn't answer.

However, we are not naive people. and both of us, plus obviously wasiii and others were surprised to see pets on board. After having met and interacted with the people on our cruise, we are all mature adults and certainly capable of discerning whether a small rambunctious dog is in fact someone's pet, or a service dog.

If you had seen the people and the way the pet/pets carried on, it is obvious they were not service dogs. They must have been conversation pieces for insecure people.

In any case, I have my answer from Carnival, the answer is that they allow certain pets on with the proper paperwork and the required shots. I just have to decide whether I want to be bothered cruising Carnival again, if this is the case. And I suppose not every cruise will have passengers that will take advantage of this allowance. I personally wouldn't WANT to bring a pet onboard and have to try and accomodate all their needs.

Service animals come in all shapes and sizes and serve different purposes.

I assume that you actually asked the passengers with the dogs if they were pets or service animals otherwise you cant possibly know.

So what did they say when you asked them?

Not all dogs are large or only serve the blind.

Please take time to do some research. It never hurts to learn something new. :)

It is none of my business why someone has a dog on board. Carnival and other lines have strict policies about this and I am sure they took care of the details and saw the proper paperwork that is required.

So please educate yourself on the topic before getting upset.

.....Briarwood is right, I was there along with a number of other people on my roll call who saw the dog.

Just because there are no pictures of dinosaurs does not mean they don't exist.

wasiii

Yes...but there are fossils so there "is" proof.....:p

PS: By the way the don't exist...they used to exist...

I just got off the Spirit a few days ago...we did see a seeing eye service dog....that dog gpt more attention then one would Imagine.....to me it was great to see someone disabled like that out enjoying a cruise.....

I work in a restaurant and once we had a woman bring in this tiny little lap dog that was a service dog. It was trained to detect seizures. Another time I saw this guy "hiding" a tiny little dog in his coat. I suspect that dog was not a service dog. Why would he hide it if it was? Who knows, maybe the dogs you saw were service dogs or like other posters have said, they may have pulled strings to get their dogs classified as service dogs when they really weren't. And maybe they were even snuck on board and once on board no one bothered to ask to see the papers to prove they were service dogs because they just assumed Carnival had already cleared the dogs to sail.

Actually, 'service dogs' need to go through first special training, and then very precise testing to be certified. Official documentation (which unfortunately can be falsified if someone doesn't know what they are looking at/for) is then given and renewed on an annual (I believe different types have different time frames) basis.

A doctor can't just say "I want you off my back so here, now your dog is a service animal"...

There were at least 2 different little white dogs that looks like shihtzu's and a jack russell terrier. I am quite sure they were not service dogs. As I said, I was quite surprised.

Again, Carnival doesn NOT permit dogs onboard unless they are certified service animals. These animals come in all sizes and all breeds.

Before the animal can be brought onboard, Carnival must receive medical information on the animal, the passenger and the type of service dog it is.

From their website:

Carnival Cruise Lines does permit guest to travel on board with specially trained service animals (e.g., dog guides, hearing-ear dogs, working dogs). Please note that many of our exciting ports of call have established strict entry requirements for animals. Therefore, guests with service animals who wish to disembark in ports of call should contact the Department of Agriculture to determine the policy of each destination regarding admission of service animals to the particular country. Pets are not permitted onboard.

Smaller service dogs are used for many reasons. Many can alert their owner of an impending seizure...or for those with certain types of heart failure/disease - and impending attack. Some service dogs are for severe emotional conditions or other infirmities.

It's not up to anyone to judge why it's a Jack Russell, a poodle or an Irish Wolfhound. It's simply nobody's business.

:D

Again' date=' Carnival doesn NOT permit dogs onboard unless they are certified service animals. These animals come in all sizes and all breeds.

Before the animal can be brought onboard, Carnival must receive medical information on the animal, the passenger and the type of service dog it is.

From their website:

Carnival Cruise Lines does permit guest to travel on board with specially trained service animals (e.g., dog guides, hearing-ear dogs, working dogs). Please note that many of our exciting ports of call have established strict entry requirements for animals. Therefore, guests with service animals who wish to disembark in ports of call should contact the Department of Agriculture to determine the policy of each destination regarding admission of service animals to the particular country. [i']Pets are not permitted onboard.[/i]

Smaller service dogs are used for many reasons. Many can alert their owner of an impending seizure...or for those with certain types of heart failure/disease - and impending attack. Some service dogs are for severe emotional conditions or other infirmities.

It's not up to anyone to judge why it's a Jack Russell, a poodle or an Irish Wolfhound. It's simply nobody's business.

Imma get me a Irish Wolfhound for my hearing ear doggy, he can warn me if I miss DOD specials;):D Oh and no one would ever steal my chair when I get up to potty!!!!

Carole

Archived