Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour (Ketchikan)

KL&KR

Has anyone been on this tour with a wheelchair/scooter? I e-mailed the company and they said yes, they are accessible, with special seating up front for disabled, but I would love to hear from folks with first-hand experience. Thanks!

Kristen

Has anyone been on this tour with a wheelchair/scooter? I e-mailed the company and they said yes, they are accessible, with special seating up front for disabled, but I would love to hear from folks with first-hand experience. Thanks!

Kristen

My husband and I were on this excursion. Tom uses a folding wheelchair and can get out of the chair and take a few steps, however, the crew made certain that he had a front row seat and could stay in his chair. They were especially nice to bring all of the fish over to us so he could hold them. He loves the Deadliest Catch show and this was the highlight of the cruise for him. The only area that he couldn't get into was the galley, where they had the coffee and hot chocolate set up as well as the t-shirts for sale. Be sure you have a warm jacket. There are heaters in the ceiling of the stadium type seating so that really helps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. We have been to Alaska several times now so we may be able to answer other questions for you. Have fun...Connie:)

• Administrators
My husband and I were on this excursion. Tom uses a folding wheelchair and can get out of the chair and take a few steps, however, the crew made certain that he had a front row seat and could stay in his chair. They were especially nice to bring all of the fish over to us so he could hold them. He loves the Deadliest Catch show and this was the highlight of the cruise for him. The only area that he couldn't get into was the galley, where they had the coffee and hot chocolate set up as well as the t-shirts for sale. Be sure you have a warm jacket. There are heaters in the ceiling of the stadium type seating so that really helps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. We have been to Alaska several times now so we may be able to answer other questions for you. Have fun...Connie:)

One of my two favorite excursions in Alaska. :) Just wonderful!

To the OP, you might want to check out the photos and video of the vessel at the Aleutian Ballad's website (http://www.56degreesnorth.com), and there are also a few photos of it at the link to Alaska photos in my signature.

I have already booked this tour for our September Alaska cruise. My left hip was crushed in a head on car collision which required 3 operations to rebuild my hip. As a result I am in constant pain and require crutches for mobility. Sometimes sitting for extended periods can be painful. Are there areas where it would be easy to get out of the chair and stand periodically without being in the way or blocking other peoples view? How calm are the waters as I also must be careful as any fall can cause my hip to fracture again. I also sometimes find it difficult to find a place for my crutches in theater type seating.

• Administrators

You can see photos of the seating at the website I linked. On our tour people were up and moving around all the time -- to touch the fish (or get a closer look), warm up inside the galley area, and so on. The lines of sight were great -- you should be able to find a place to sit or stand as you require without blocking the view. On our day the waters were very calm, but it is a moving vessel and the sea can be unpredictable. Hope that helps, and that you have a great cruise!

Thank you for the great advice and pix--the pix gave a really great sense of the space, etc. I haven't convinced DW yet that she can do it, but I am working on it... It looks like such a fun trip!

You can see photos of the seating at the website I linked. On our tour people were up and moving around all the time -- to touch the fish (or get a closer look), warm up inside the galley area, and so on. The lines of sight were great -- you should be able to find a place to sit or stand as you require without blocking the view. On our day the waters were very calm, but it is a moving vessel and the sea can be unpredictable. Hope that helps, and that you have a great cruise!

Thank you for posting the reply and the pictures in the link. As fans of the Deadliest Catch show we are eagerly anticipating taking this tour. I don't believe I have read a bad review on this tour. Since this is our first cruise we are really looking forward to the trip.

• Administrators
Thank you for posting the reply and the pictures in the link. As fans of the Deadliest Catch show we are eagerly anticipating taking this tour. I don't believe I have read a bad review on this tour. Since this is our first cruise we are really looking forward to the trip.

Hope you have a wonderful trip -- this really is a great excursion, probably because it's so authentic and the crew's so wonderful. I think it will be one of, if not THE, highlights of your cruise!

Archived