St. Thomas in July

KnightsofColumbus

I'll be on the Carnival Victory in July and we stop at St. Thomas from 7-5. We have to be back on board by 4:30 PM. All the tours (Sunny Liston, Spiderman, Godfrey, airforce 1) all seem to end from 4:15-4:30 so that is cutting it close. They say the leave from the beaches at around 4:00 PM. Is 30 min. enough time to get back to the ship? What is traffic like at 4:00 PM? I believe the island will be less crowded in July so traffic may not be as bad is that true?

Thanks a lot!

I'll be on the Carnival Victory in July and we stop at St. Thomas from 7-5. We have to be back on board by 4:30 PM. All the tours (Sunny Liston, Spiderman, Godfrey, airforce 1) all seem to end from 4:15-4:30 so that is cutting it close. They say the leave from the beaches at around 4:00 PM. Is 30 min. enough time to get back to the ship? What is traffic like at 4:00 PM? I believe the island will be less crowded in July so traffic may not be as bad is that true?

Thanks a lot!

Godfrey was pretty flexible when we took the tour in July 2003 on a land-based vacation. There were some cruise ship passengers on the tour with us. Godfrey was very accommodating with everyone. We all left at around 3:30 so that some of the passengers could hit the K-Mart on the way back to their ship. He dropped them off at the K-Mart, dropped the rest of the cruise ship passengers off at Havensight and then headed back to K-Mart to get the other folks. Since we were not on a cruise ship, we just went along for the ride. He did tell us we could stay at the beach longer and that he'd come pick us up later. But we didn't mind the ride.

Since it's July there won't be many ships in town at all. On the day we were taking the Godfrey Tour there was only one ship in town. You'll be dealing mostly with regular rush hour traffic and not regular rush hour traffic accompanied by several thousand people trying to get back to their ships all at once. :)

I don't think I'd want to leave right at 4:00, though. I'd shoot for leaving the beach by 3:45.

July is getting into off season so usually fewer ships. Also school is out so the traffic caused by parents picking up kids or school buses etc. isn't an issue. That said there is road work going on in the Havensight area, and it will still be going on in July. The taxi drivers drive the route every day, sometimes a few times during the day so best bet just to double check is to ask the driver that takes you where you are going what time you need to leave that place to get back with the road work/traffic/regular driving time considered.

--Islander

All of the tours, regardless of posted times, adjust to the ships schedules, so they'll get you back to your ship on time regardless of when it leaves. After all, they don't want tourists spending the night with them, because they made them miss the ship.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We just got back from our cruise and used Airforce 1 Papa Bear picked us up for the island tour at 9:30 we toured for 2 hours and then he took us to Sapphire Beach from 12-3 pm we were back at the ship by 3:30 ish. We really enjoyed his tour, there were just 7 of us in his big open air bus. Unlike other tours he just takes those who reserved online so we did not wait round until he filled his bus.We never felt rushed he stopped for lots of photo ops and had great island info. He took us to his favorite beach on the way back for a quick look which was beautiful.

Hi Knights, We are also on the Victory in July. CAN'T WAIT!!! 100 days away. We go the wek of the 12th. I have been to St. Thomas before and would not miss St. John, Trunks Bay. We are going to take the ferry over, get some sun, snorkle some then head back to shop some and get on the ship before it leaves without us. Sounds like alot but it is do able. When you going??

Archived