Alaska-Sun or Pearl?

daffodiliaz

We are booked on the Pearl in May. Chose the Pearl because she's newer. Now I read on the Alaska boards that travelling out of Vancouver (Sun) is much more scenic than out of Seattle (Pearl). We've done a Sawyer Glacier cruise before.

Pearl-newer-Glacier Bay-Seattle

Sun-older-Sawyer Glacier, but Inside Passage from Vancouver

Did we pick the best ship when picking the Pearl? Looking for some reassurance here.

I, too, was looking over the two ships and their Alaska itineraries. I'd read reviews, too. I decided that because sometimes a ship can't get near Sawyer Glacier, I'd choose Pearl and Glacier Bay. I've cruised the Inside Passage twice now, out of Vancouver. Seemed to me that the very prettiest scenery was early on the first day at sea, and therefore missed by most people. Then later in the day land is very far away, too.

We are booked on the Pearl in May. Chose the Pearl because she's newer. Now I read on the Alaska boards that travelling out of Vancouver (Sun) is much more scenic than out of Seattle (Pearl). We've done a Sawyer Glacier cruise before.

Pearl-newer-Glacier Bay-Seattle

Sun-older-Sawyer Glacier, but Inside Passage from Vancouver

Did we pick the best ship when picking the Pearl? Looking for some reassurance here.

We were on the Pearl to Alaska in both 2007 & 2008. If you've seen Sawyer Glacier, I would definitely choose the Pearl with Glacier Bay.

With the Sun you spend 8 hours in Ketchikan (7 1/2 on the Pearl); 6 hours in Juneau (8 hours on the Pearl); 14 hours in Skagway (and 14 on the Pearl). On the Sun you spend Monday & Saturday cruising the inside passage with Friday "at sea". On the Pearl you spend the majority of Thursday cruising Glacier Bay and Friday you're on the way to Victoria where you dock at 6 PM on Saturday.

So on the Sun you have 28 hours to spend in ports and on the Pearl you have 35 1/2 hours to spend. I'm sure someone will correct me if my calculations are not correct.:confused:

I think you'll be happy with your choice of the Pearl! Take a look at our pictures via the link to webshots.

We are trying an inside room this trip to save a little $$ Like almost $1000. We have never sailed the Pearl and would like to know your opinon on the best level for booking a room on her. Since it is an inside cabin we can book it on any level that has cabins for just about the same price. I am guessing the higher up I go the quicker the access is to the outside? For the ease and access to all the fun stuff and restaurants what level do you recommend?

We also decided on the pearl because of the longer times spent "on shore". One evening It shows the ship doesn't sail until 9pm.

This wil be our first cruise on board one of NCL newer ships. We were on one of the final cruises in Hawaii for the NCL WIND in 2007 and went to the carribbean in 2008 on the NCL MAJESTY. We are truely looking forward to trying out one of the NCLs newest ships.

I would not give your booking a second thought. I think you will very much enjoy your cruise. We actually enjoyed the views we got when we sailed out of Seattle and the Pearl is a beautiful ship. We like the Sun too, but I do not think you will have one regret. I can tell you if we had booked an Alaskan cruise this year and we had to choose between the Pearl and the Sun we would have choosen the Pearl. Of course, the Star is our favorite and if at all possible she is the one we will sail on, so the Pearl and the Sun would have lost out for us this year.

Next year the Sun does a north and south bound itinenary and we may sail on her southbound because I REALLY want to go to Sitka. If we do, I am afraid we won't probably be able to afford the suite on the Aft of the Sun I adore. I can't remember if it is an AC or an AB (although I believe it is an AC), but it is my most favorite of all suites. I'm thinking if we fly from Dallas to Whittier the extra money for the AC would actually have to go for a 1st class ticket. Don't know if I can fly that far coach.

Archived