Water and ice in Progresso

frankhouse

Just about everyone in Mexico uses bottled water. Visitors and locals. Some businesses have purification systems, but who? Ice usually comes from ice plants that have water purifications systems. Not a problem.

It is indeed one of those mysteries of life that the human species continues to contaminate (among other things) the one element so necessary to our continued existence on the planet. Water in the Yucatan comes from underground springs and waterways which can be seen in the form of cenotes. Now we are swimming in them... hmm.

Yes, water should be bottled and it is readily available everywhere. Ice is usually OK as it is bought in bags from large plants that have purification systems. Ice should be avoided when you see it comes in weird shapes (chips, triangles, polygons) as this indicates the restaurant or bar bought the ice in a large chunk, often from the back of a truck, and has chipped off pieces to put in that glass you are holding:)

• 3 weeks later...

We have been there many times, but I just realized that we always drank bottled beer.

So I know the beer is ok. I have never heard anyone else having a problem, so I would assume that the larger restaurants and bars use purified ice.

Just never drink from a water fountain.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived