When is the best time to cruise Alaska

misty57

I'm contemplating a surprise trip for my DH's birthday this summer. It looks like the prices for late August are best, but is there a reason? Is the weather bad? The airfare round trip to and from Vancouver is the cheapest then also. I won't have time for a cruisetour, but it would be nice to see something other than the Carribean for a change.

We have been to Alaska with Celebrity 4 times, once in May which was beautiful 70 degrees and they thought that was hot. We have been twice in August, once it was very cold (40-60) and rainy and the other was mid 60's, some rain. We went on the last cruise to Alaska on September and it was also 40-60 with some rain. The good part about the last cruise of the season is the sales. Everything is on sale in all the ports to get rid of stuff for the next season. Weather in Alaska is unpredictable. Usually in May it is colder than what we experienced. You just have to take a chance, it's so worth it.

Weather in Alaska is very much a variable regardless of the date and it can be quite warm or chilly depending on where in the vastness of Alaska you are. By late August, the hours of daylight are beginning to diminish so if you are looking for the most hours you should consider sailings around the summer solstice. There are no guarantees regarding the weather and you can sometimes experience temperatures as high as 100 degrees or lows in the forties. When we were in Denali in late May one year, we had snow flurries but later on during our trip the temperatures were actually quite similar to what they were experiencing back home in the Boston area. We are hoping to do a return cruise to Alaska in 2010 and are anxiously awaiting the release of next year's schedule so that we can make definite plans.:)

Book a cruise over his birthday, that makes it even more special. Since you won't be doing a cruisetour you won't have to worry too much about those nasty mosquitos inland. I read that the state insect is the dragonfly. They honor anything that will feed on those mosquitos.

You might want to consider what wildlife you would like to see . .. We were there on the repo cruise on May 1, 08 and it was chilly. The bears were just waking up . .. and still eating the weeds. They were not activly hunting for meaty foods yet. and of course, the salmon were not around. We did see whales and eagles . . and had a wonderful trip.

I am pretty sure that in August the salmon have finished their spawning ..

Alaska is beautiful anytime of year . .. In May the snow was beautiful on the White Pass Railroad . .. But it must also be breathtaking in July!

Enjoy whenever you go . ..

Thanks for all the prompt responses! I am really wanting to go on this trip, but when I asked my DH if he would be able to get away for a week in late August he said, " Why? Are you looking to book a cruise to Alaska or something?":eek: He said he couldn't leave because of work obligations but who knows, maybe he'll change his mind in time for us to catch an even better deal. I'm going to be watching those prices and airfares very closely!

Archived