Sunday Mass -- Catholic Service

eire1964

I've never cruised on Celebrity. Do they post in the daily bulletin where Mass might be available for Sunday? We will be arriving in Casa de Campo around 1:00 p.m. on Sunday. Any suggestions for making services? We'll be in Puerto Rico on Saturday with a late evening departure. Is there a local church near the Constellation?

Thanks -- Mary Pat

Hi Mary Pat

Every Celebrity cruise we've been on (14) has had a Catholic Chaplain with daily Mass. The Mass is at the discretion of the priest but usually it's 8:30 on Sunday and 8:00 during the week. Again, it changes with the priest.

We've never had a problem.

Thanks so much! Good to know it will be "local" rather than having to search church out upon arrival. Also, might be something to add to daily schedule while on vacation since it's not something I do daily the rest of the year.

Thanks again.

Mpat

I just have to post here! Please bear with me! I am not catholic, but this is a great story! We sailed on Century a few years ago, had no clue that they had priests or any such on board--never thought to check. We get to our assigned table the 1st night & start talking to the other 8 people seated---this one older (maybe 65 ish) gentleman starts talking--what a nice man--my DH asks what he does for a living & he says he is a catholic priest & chaplain on board this cruise. My DH just laughs & we continue to have the BEST possible dinner. Never thought a thing about it again until the next night--1st formal--we're standing in the hall waiting to enter the dining room & DH pokes me in the ribs & says "look over there"--there was Tony---in his Priest outfit--make that Father Tony!!!!! Unbelievable, we were dining each meal with the priest. I have to say, of all the cruises I have taken, before & after Tony, THAT was the most enjoyable & absolutely the BEST company I have had the pleasure of sharing! What a wonderful man. If I hadn't spent 12 years in Lutheran school, that man could have converted me! LOVED him!

Celebrity gets the BEST! Enjoy! Sorry or rambling--just wanted to share! ;)

We went to Mass on the Summit at 8 on Sunday morning. Shortly after that was a non-denominational service conducted by.....the priest!

I'm pretty sure there was a daily Jewish service on all the ships we've sailed.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05

Sorry to be the bad guy here, but Celebrity does not guarantee a chaplain on any cruise.

We have been on two cruises on the Horizon. On the first one, there were no public religious services offered at all.

On the second, a priest was on board and he conducted mass daily and on Sunday. He was Irish and had worked his entire career as a ship chaplain. He was retired and lived in Ireland during the summer. In the winter, he calls cruise lines until he secures a parttime job as a chaplain.

Next June, we are taking a priest with us to Alaska. :D It is a group cruise being led by our parish pastor.

From what I have heard, only HAL and Disney advertise a Catholic priest on board.

Copied from the Celebrity Website:

Religious services are offered: Daily Catholic Mass, a special Sunday Mass and ecumenical services for those guests of other faiths, all hosted by a Roman Catholic priest in good standing, approved by the AOSUSA. During Easter and Christmas, a Protestant Minister conducts a service and during the Jewish holidays of Passover, Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and Hanukah, a Rabbi or Cantor conducts these services onboard.

http://www.celebrity.com/prepare/during/facilitiesandservices.asp?s=D0626A7628

Eire1964: Assuming you are docked in "Old San Juan", about a 10-15 minute walk is the church across the street from the "Convento" hotel. (and anyone can point you in that direction) That's the hotel that used to be a convent. A nice walk, just to check that place out, too, if you'd like. The church probably has a late afternoon/early evening vigil mass, like 4 or 5PM, but keep in mind, it will be in Spanish.

Copied from the Celebrity Website:

Religious services are offered: Daily Catholic Mass, a special Sunday Mass and ecumenical services for those guests of other faiths, all hosted by a Roman Catholic priest....

Thanks for the information. Since I have egg on my face, I don't think I can participate in Communion. :mad:

On the Celebrity cruise where we did have a priest, he recommended we make our viewpoints known about having a chaplain on board to the cruise line itself. Our TA sponsers a lot of sessions with sales pitches from the cruise line personnel. Only HAl and Disney said they have clergy on board. Thanks for the update on Celebrity.

Les

Archived