Delta Hotel Montreral

lazey1

Our T.A. is recommending this hotel for a 2 night stay prior to our Maasdam cruise. Anyone familiar with this hotel? Looking for general information. Comfortable? Convenient for sightseeing? Close to restaurant etc.:confused:

There are two Delta Hotels in downtown Montreal. Which of the two is she recommending. Personally, I have stayed at the Delta Montreal on President-Kennedy (Note the hyphen) and the location is convenient for access to downtown Montreal. The other is the Delta Centre-Ville on University and to be honest, I wouldn't stay there because the location, while close to the port is in the financial district of Montreal and at night it's as if an atom bomb has gone off and it's completely deserted. I would think the prices are comparable and if you want to enjoy the nightlife of Montreal and walk around, do some shopping, have a coffee and eat dinner, I would stay at the Delta Montreal. If you are planning on staying put, pretty much and eating at the hotel, go for the Delta Centre-Ville.

The one thing that is advantageous to the Delta Centre-Ville is it's not far from Toque, if you can get a reservations and don't mind spending the bucks, though personally, I'll take two dinners at Gibby's instead.

(Note: I am biased, being that I run a local B&B)

I forgot that hotel was a Delta now (used to be a Radisson way back I think). Yeah, nothing of any interest there... Make sure you know which Delta your TA is recommending before you book.

It was a Radisson, before that it was a Hotel des Gouvenours (which has the dubious honour of being the worst stock that was available on the old QSST plan) and before that it was the Hyatt. Which is how it got the glass elevators. But location... definitely terrible.

Thank you Ephraim and Twickenham. It is the Delta Montreal she recommends. Is this convenient for a tour of the Notre Dame Cathedral? What is Gibby's?

The Delta Montreal is convenient for downtown Montreal and the metro. Notre Dame is in old Montreal, you can walk there (if you are a walker) or take the metro to Place d'Armes and walk from there. It's a 18 minute walk, about 10 minutes by metro and 4 minutes by taxi (according to Google Maps). Look for Basilique Notre-Dame on Google Maps. (The walk is through Chinatown and into Old Montreal.

Gibby's is a well known steakhouse in Old Montreal. It's in an old stables and has some of the best steak I have ever had. But we find it expensive, so we go there only as a special treat, mostly for my birthday. Restaurant Toqué is a world famous restaurant and definitely more expensive than Gibby's. In fact, I think it's considered one of the best and one of the most expensive restaurants in the world. It's also difficult to get a reservation in the summer. We went for my birthday this year as a special treat and I have to say that the food was incredible and the foie gras was to die for! But it's really expensive, even before the wine.

I stayed at the Delta Montreal several yrs ago and found it quite nice. You'll be just north of everything major downtown and just under Mount Royal so its a perfect location. Never did the other Delta but this one sounds the best of the two locations.

David

P.S. Thanks for the Gibbys reference guys! I will be in Montreal in July after our cruise and it sounds like a place to check out.

Thank you all. Gibbys sounds wonderful. Don't know how much walking we will be able to do. Both of us are seniors and both of us have COPD. Could you tell us what the altitude is? Over 5000' is very hard for DH to breathe. Jane

Montreal is 57 metres over sea level. (57 meters = 187.007874 feet).

If you have trouble walking, I would suggest a quick taxi ride to Old Montreal and the Notre-Dame Basilica. It's really not far and will save your feet for walking around Old Montreal. It's about 1.25 km, which for some is a long distance.

I can give you a LONG list of restaurants in Montreal if you really want. I live not far from the Prince Arthur pedestrian mall, which is well know for it's Greek restaurants that are all BYOB. Then there are some foods which you can only really try in Montreal (or Quebec) because they aren't really available elsewhere. From smoked meat to Tortiere, for example.

There is no place in North America that is quite like Montreal.

Thanks again for the helpful info. Walking and breathing at the same time should not be a problem at such a low elevation. Appreciate your offer of a list of restaurants but not needed as we will only be there a couple of days.

Archived