Diving French Poly... Paul Gaugin or Live Aboard?

BullinOhio

Any divers that have used RSSC Paul Gaugin for their surface intervals? I am trying to decide between the two for July and would appreciate any input. I am afraid either the diving will not nearly be as good from the PG or I'll miss the traditional cruise pampering on a live aboard. Other suggestions welcomed too (I like Princess but have ruled them out for French Polynesia).

Thanks.

I think you will have to decide just how important the diving is for you. If you are a fairly hardcore diver and want to do lots of dives, I'd definitely go with the liveaboard. The Tahiti Aggressor gets pretty good reviews and you will probably have the chance to do up to 5 dives a day, the their trips are not cheap. On the other hand, if you are happy with just 2 dives a day, want that larger "cruise ship" experience, and are trying to spend less, then probably the PG would be a better choice.

The PG uses Bora Divers in Bora Bora, a first rate operation by any standards. I was on the TP but shuttled in with the PG divers by private arrangement. Off the TP I arranged for up to 3 dives daily, including night dives. My local dive center here in Newport Beach, CA. has relations with dive operators throughout the islands, so some of my dives were privately arranged and others through the ship.

Several days of our last month long trip were so rough sea-wise that the PG was seen not able to use their sports deck as the seas were too strong to launch the zodiacs.

Night diving in Bora Bora was the best I have done yet in terms of sea creatures you do not see during the day.

John

Archived