A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hmmm, maybe this thread just needs a little cleaning up, as it seems some posters have attempted to answer questions that were clearly meant for DBA.

These questions are really directed at Copper and Dutch and I am sorry, but I don't know how to start a new thread that both will see. My girlfriend and I are in a quandry as to which ship to take this Sept and we have to decide by Saturday!~ Can you please help? Here are my facts and queries and I apologize for the length!

Joanie from Cruise Critic suggested I contact you both as DBA you work for HAL and should really know the answers and Copper, Joanie says you are very honest and fair-minded?

We are a couple of gals (one early 40’s one early 60’s) who have never cruised on HAL before nor gone to Alaska. I should preface this by saying that we wanted to do the repositioning cruise (do they now call it a Turnaround?) going from Vancouver up to Alaska and ending up in San Diego 11 days later AND that we have been booking suites (Deluxe Verandah Suite on both). We managed to get a booking on the Statendam as it had – what we assumed – is the best itinerary (includes Glacier Bay and Skagway) but we also have a temporary hold (until Saturday) on a similar suite on the Ryndam, but weren’t sure about it’s itinerary (it goes to Tracy Arm and Sitka instead of GB and Skagway).

Then I started reading all the horror stories in Cruise Critic about the horrific voyages people were having on the Statendam AFTER its dry dock just last month! These stories, scared us to death as there were so very many of them!!! We thought perhaps they will be worked out by mid September but thought we should check with you first.. This will be my girlfriend’s very first cruise and my 10th or 12th? I am very particular and do NOT want to pay $3000 each only to find the ship is worn and frayed. Some reviewers are saying they would never EVER travel on the Statendam again unless she was free and some not even then. Also I gather HAL is trying to pooh pooh their complaints, which also doesn’t sit well with me.

However I have read only a few negative reviews about the Ryndam which is one of the reasons why I have kept the hold on the cabin until I get more feedback. We want relaxation, a comfy, spacious cabin, good food, good service and no overflowing toilets in the middle of the night. We also are looking forward to great glacier vistas and only perhaps 2 shore excursions (White Pass Railway??? and the Tram in Juneau???); other than that, it will be lolling around in our cabin, out on our lanai, culinary classes, wine tasting and dining.

So we have the hold on the Ryndam suite but am not so sure about the itinerary.

And the booking on the Statendam suite but am worried about the condition of the ship and the stinky passageways.

And now I really wonder which would be the best itinerary for first time visitors (and possibly last time visitors) to Alaska:

Skagway and Glacier Bay

OR

Sitka and Tracy Ford????

I would so appreciate your time and opinion… We are waiting until we hear from you before making our final decision.

Thanks again both of you and Aloha!

HNLGAL

So, DBA

What is your take on what is going on with Statendam, Do you have insight on what Hal is doing to correct, or have corrected post refit issues?

For instance- the "sewage" thing seems to be a fairly common occurrance throught the years?

Thanks,

and I enjoy reading your Blog

Not necessarily.

The "Call Us" is primarily because there is always a chance that you would be cleared if on a waitlist. If someone is willing to waitlist and cross their fingers, there's no benefit to saying "Sold Out" which would basically translate to "leave us alone about this one"

This was your post on another thread, but I thought would ask my question (below) on your thread in case you didn't notice it on the other one.

Our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise on 9/24 has been strangely "full" for months now. When we booked last Dec there were already no Outsides available above G, and no VH/VF/VE. Also most Suites were gone already. By a couple of weeks ago, everything was gone except the 4 lowest-levels of Insides, and now everything is "call to check". This is very strange for a cruise that is 17.5 weeks away, especially considering that the Aug 19 cruise of the same ship and itinerary has lots of openings, with cabins going for $1000 pp less than we paid. I've been trying to find out if there's some large group on board, but so far nada info. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

I know you will maybe think what is she moaning about, but I just have to ask this question. Why can't we Europeans book via USA TA's? When I read on CC that people get upgrades or OBC when prices go down before final payment, none of this in Europe, nothing is possible (I know I only asked recently) and prices are already higher than in the USA. My TA also aswered in his last email, if you had booked with Celebrity .. they would have done something about the price... I love to cruise with HAL but this leaves me with a bad feeling.

Regards,

Sonja

Hi,

I know you will maybe think what is she moaning about, but I just have to ask this question. Why can't we Europeans book via USA TA's? When I read on CC that people get upgrades or OBC when prices go down before final payment, none of this in Europe, nothing is possible (I know I only asked recently) and prices are already higher than in the USA. My TA also aswered in his last email, if you had booked with Celebrity .. they would have done something about the price... I love to cruise with HAL but this leaves me with a bad feeling.

Regards,

Sonja

I don't know many of the specifics, but I know that due to contracts all guests that are not in the USA and Canada must either:

1) Book through their international representative (there's a list of agencies based on the country you live in... click Contact Us at the top of the HAL website)

or

2) Book directly through HAL

Again, I don't know the specifics... I'm not in Sales... but you always have the option of booking directly through HAL. At least as I understand it

So, DBA

What is your take on what is going on with Statendam, Do you have insight on what Hal is doing to correct, or have corrected post refit issues?

For instance- the "sewage" thing seems to be a fairly common occurrance throught the years?

Thanks,

and I enjoy reading your Blog

I don't work directly with the Statendam, but as with any ship, when difficulties arise and/or maintenance is required it will be worked on. I have been on the ship a few times, once was amongst some people complaining on here about a situation and to be honest I explored that part of the ship and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. To a degree it can depend on who is choosing to be how affected by a situation... but don't interpret that as me saying it "was in their head" I didn't.

We have read here about the new "beverage cards" in different denominations. On the HAL website they only offer the old "wine cards", "coffee cards" and "soda fountain cards".

Can you tell us when the new "Beverage cards" will be available online? Also what happens if we buy the old "wine card". Will it still be accepted, will we get on on-board credit or will it be replaced with the new card?:confused:

Thanks, Jane and Gary

We have read here about the new "beverage cards" in different denominations. On the HAL website they only offer the old "wine cards", "coffee cards" and "soda fountain cards".

Can you tell us when the new "Beverage cards" will be available online? Also what happens if we buy the old "wine card". Will it still be accepted, will we get on on-board credit or will it be replaced with the new card?:confused:

Thanks, Jane and Gary

I would like to know this too. It sounds like you can pre-purchase a flight of alcoholic beverage cards/wine cards etc. I would like to see what they have to offer and the prices too. We aren't cruising until Sept. Is it governed by how far away your cruise date is?

Thank you!

These questions are really directed at Copper and Dutch and I am sorry, but I don't know how to start a new thread that both will see. My girlfriend and I are in a quandry as to which ship to take this Sept and we have to decide by Saturday!~ Can you please help? Here are my facts and queries and I apologize for the length!

Joanie from Cruise Critic suggested I contact you both as DBA you work for HAL and should really know the answers and Copper, Joanie says you are very honest and fair-minded?

We are a couple of gals (one early 40’s one early 60’s) who have never cruised on HAL before nor gone to Alaska. I should preface this by saying that we wanted to do the repositioning cruise (do they now call it a Turnaround?) going from Vancouver up to Alaska and ending up in San Diego 11 days later AND that we have been booking suites (Deluxe Verandah Suite on both). We managed to get a booking on the Statendam as it had – what we assumed – is the best itinerary (includes Glacier Bay and Skagway) but we also have a temporary hold (until Saturday) on a similar suite on the Ryndam, but weren’t sure about it’s itinerary (it goes to Tracy Arm and Sitka instead of GB and Skagway).

Then I started reading all the horror stories in Cruise Critic about the horrific voyages people were having on the Statendam AFTER its dry dock just last month! These stories, scared us to death as there were so very many of them!!! We thought perhaps they will be worked out by mid September but thought we should check with you first.. This will be my girlfriend’s very first cruise and my 10th or 12th? I am very particular and do NOT want to pay $3000 each only to find the ship is worn and frayed. Some reviewers are saying they would never EVER travel on the Statendam again unless she was free and some not even then. Also I gather HAL is trying to pooh pooh their complaints, which also doesn’t sit well with me.

However I have read only a few negative reviews about the Ryndam which is one of the reasons why I have kept the hold on the cabin until I get more feedback. We want relaxation, a comfy, spacious cabin, good food, good service and no overflowing toilets in the middle of the night. We also are looking forward to great glacier vistas and only perhaps 2 shore excursions (White Pass Railway??? and the Tram in Juneau???); other than that, it will be lolling around in our cabin, out on our lanai, culinary classes, wine tasting and dining.

So we have the hold on the Ryndam suite but am not so sure about the itinerary. And the booking on the Statendam suite but am worried about the condition of the ship and the stinky passageways.

And now I really wonder which would be the best itinerary for first time visitors (and possibly last time visitors) to Alaska:

Skagway and Glacier Bay

OR

Sitka and Tracy Ford????

I would so appreciate your time and opinion… We are waiting until we hear from you before making our final decision.

Thanks again both of you and Aloha!

HNLGAL

HNLGal, sorry about the delay in getting back to you! Here's the easy one: I personally prefer Hubbard Glacier over Tracy Arm. Hubbard is massive! It's bigger, taller and the cruise in (and out) is more scenic (personal opinion of course, others' mileage may vary). Tracy Arm Fjord (not Chevy!;)) is nice, but not as spectacular as big Hubbard!

As far as picking Skagway or Sitka, to me it's a toss up. Skagway, smaller than Sitka, gives you a chance to take in the old Gold Rush time and ride the White Pass & Yukon Route train. Sitka, to me, is more of a scenic town with a chance to see the Raptor Rehab Center (think Bald Eagles) as well some of the town's Russian history. Sitka is a great place for outdoor enthusiasts. But again, I'd pick Hubbard over Tracy Arm so that woud mean a trip to Skagway.

Statendam and Ryndam are sisters. Statendam is without a doubt, the oldest ship built for HAL, currently in the fleet, having been handed over to the company in January 1993 (Prinsendam is actually an older ship, "born" five years before Statendam in 1988 but she joined HAL in 2002). So Statendam is now a little more than 17 years old. Ryndam, btw, joined the fleet in September 1994, making her 20 months younger than Statendam; not a lot of difference there! Do problems materialize from time to time on a 17 year old ship? Is Howdy Doody made out of wood? You bet, but it's been my experience that HAL tries to keep those problems from interfering with our (their passengers') vacation.

Once you set foot on a dam ship, you will experience more than once, that HAL's engineers, Deck Department and Housekeeping staff are constantly performing preventive maintenance and cleaning. Above and beyond that, ships routinely enter a dry-dock perior every two to two and a half years. In those dry-dock periods, problem areas requiring constant care while underway, are addressed. Statendam's last dry-dock was two months ago, from 26 March through 11 April 2010.

Among other items like converting/rebuilding some of her bars and her showroom plus getting a second alternative restaurant, all of her staterooms were upgraded with new decor, modern wall sconces, carpeting, drapes, pillows and bed runners, resurfaced desks and vanities, as well as new vanities and cabinetry in her bathrooms. Will a toilet or toilets give out at times on Statendam? Will an elevator (or more than one) refuse to operate on a cruise? Does the air conditioning in a certain area of cabins give out? Yep, all those things can happen for the same reason, your 17-year old Ford Taurus might need a new fuel pump, or a set of new brakes. BTW, there is a reason HAL puts those little "PLease do not throw anything but toilet paper in the toilet" signs on the wall in the head!:cool: The infamous "sewage stench" aboard Statendam? I have personally never experienced it on that ship but that does not mean others who say they have are lying. I have smelled "not so good" fragrances at times on just about any ship I've been on. It's a ship! Cannot be helped at times.

I can tell you that we have had ship's toilets refuse to flush, and A/C stop working. I can also tell you that a phone call resulted in an engineer knocking on our door to take care of those problems within a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes, an elevator being put back in operation requires a part, or parts, having to be located and then flown in from half way around the world. That can take time. I've never been on an "S" class ship where all eight of the pax elevators were down for the count. You deal with it and move on.

We have not sailed Statendam since March of 1998 when she was only five years old. We last sailed Ryndam in FEB of 2009 and had a great time. Here's the kicker though: we will be boarding Statendam in less than two months in Seward, AK. I promise to keep my eyes open, my sniffer engaged, and my ears clean of wax and exessive hair follicles to take everything in on that oldie but goody. As a bonus, one of HAL's all-time best captains, a very funny and outgoing dude by the name of Frans Consen will be at her helm. Should be a good 'ole time!

So, making a very loooong (sorry about that) answer a little shorter, If it was me, I would pick Statendam + Skagway + Hubbard Glacier and take any potential unpleasantries re: reoccuring maintenance issues, odor, smoking balcony neighbors;), pax who refer to open seating as AYWD:eek:, dress code violators, chair hoggers, people in the buffet line with personally purchased trays, etc., etc. one step at a time! We are "glass half full" peoples and found that it helps enjoy a cruise more!;) Enjoy yours!:)

HNLGal, sorry about the delay in getting back to you! Here's the easy one: I personally prefer Hubbard Glacier over Tracy Arm. Hubbard is massive! It's bigger, taller and the cruise in (and out) is more scenic (personal opinion of course, others' mileage may vary). Tracy Arm Fjord (not Chevy!;)) is nice, but not as spectacular as big Hubbard!

As far as picking Skagway or Sitka, to me it's a toss up. Skagway, smaller than Sitka, gives you a chance to take in the old Gold Rush time and ride the White Pass & Yukon Route train. Sitka, to me, is more of a scenic town with a chance to see the Raptor Rehab Center (think Bald Eagles) as well some of the town's Russian history. Sitka is a great place for outdoor enthusiasts. But again, I'd pick Hubbard over Tracy Arm so that woud mean a trip to Skagway.

Statendam and Ryndam are sisters. Statendam is without a doubt, the oldest ship built for HAL, currently in the fleet, having been handed over to the company in January 1993 (Prinsendam is actually an older ship, "born" five years before Statendam in 1988 but she joined HAL in 2002). So Statendam is now a little more than 17 years old. Ryndam, btw, joined the fleet in September 1994, making her 20 months younger than Statendam; not a lot of difference there! Do problems materialize from time to time on a 17 year old ship? Is Howdy Doody made out of wood? You bet, but it's been my experience that HAL tries to keep those problems from interfering with our (their passengers') vacation.

Once you set foot on a dam ship, you will experience more than once, that HAL's engineers, Deck Department and Housekeeping staff are constantly performing preventive maintenance and cleaning. Above and beyond that, ships routinely enter a dry-dock perior every two to two and a half years. In those dry-dock periods, problem areas requiring constant care while underway, are addressed. Statendam's last dry-dock was two months ago, from 26 March through 11 April 2010.

Among other items like converting/rebuilding some of her bars and her showroom plus getting a second alternative restaurant, all of her staterooms were upgraded with new decor, modern wall sconces, carpeting, drapes, pillows and bed runners, resurfaced desks and vanities, as well as new vanities and cabinetry in her bathrooms. Will a toilet or toilets give out at times on Statendam? Will an elevator (or more than one) refuse to operate on a cruise? Does the air conditioning in a certain area of cabins give out? Yep, all those things can happen for the same reason, your 17-year old Ford Taurus might need a new fuel pump, or a set of new brakes. BTW, there is a reason HAL puts those little "PLease do not throw anything but toilet paper in the toilet" signs on the wall in the head!:cool: The infamous "sewage stench" aboard Statendam? I have personally never experienced it on that ship but that does not mean others who say they have are lying. I have smelled "not so good" fragrances at times on just about any ship I've been on. It's a ship! Cannot be helped at times.

I can tell you that we have had ship's toilets refuse to flush, and A/C stop working. I can also tell you that a phone call resulted in an engineer knocking on our door to take care of those problems within a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes, an elevator being put back in operation requires a part, or parts, having to be located and then flown in from half way around the world. That can take time. I've never been on an "S" class ship where all eight of the pax elevators were down for the count. You deal with it and move on.

We have not sailed Statendam since March of 1998 when she was only five years old. We last sailed Ryndam in FEB of 2009 and had a great time. Here's the kicker though: we will be boarding Statendam in less than two months in Seward, AK. I promise to keep my eyes open, my sniffer engaged, and my ears clean of wax and exessive hair follicles to take everything in on that oldie but goody. As a bonus, one of HAL's all-time best captains, a very funny and outgoing dude by the name of Frans Consen will be at her helm. Should be a good 'ole time!

So, making a very loooong (sorry about that) answer a little shorter, If it was me, I would pick Statendam + Skagway + Hubbard Glacier and take any potential unpleasantries re: reoccuring maintenance issues, odor, smoking balcony neighbors;), pax who refer to open seating as AYWD:eek:, dress code violators, chair hoggers, people in the buffet line with personally purchased trays, etc., etc. one step at a time! We are "glass half full" peoples and found that it helps enjoy a cruise more!;) Enjoy yours!:)

WOW!~ Thank you so much! I very much appreciate all the time and energy you put into that message... fortunately (we had to decide yesterday), we chose the Statendam so I am relieved to hear your recommendation. We chose her mainly because of her itinerary as we were told that Glacier Bay beat Tracy Arm and - for first timers- Skagway over Sitka. You mention Hubbard Glacier... the way you are raving about it (and it sounds just like what we are hoping to see) it sort of sounds like it is in Glacier Bay???? Am I right?

And, since I have you 'on the line' if you will... we are in S024 which - if I count my windows correctly - will put us directly beneath that overhang that so many people have referenced. As this is not a sun-bathing cruise, do you think that matters very much on an Alaskan cruise? Or should we waitlist for another DVS further forward? You never know unless you ask....

And... since you brought it up.... do you like or dislike Open Seating (or as you refer to it.. AYWD)???

Thanks so much and I will be waiting with baited breath to hear your review and see your pics of your upcoming Stat cruise!

HNLGAL

You mention Hubbard Glacier... the way you are raving about it (and it sounds just like what we are hoping to see) it sort of sounds like it is in Glacier Bay???? Am I right?

No. Hubbard Glacier is in Yakutat Bay. The primary glaciers in Glacier Bay are Margerie Glacier, Grand Pacific, and Johns Hopkins. Johns Hopkins isn't open to cruise ships until later in the season as it is a nursery for seals.

WOW!~ Thank you so much! I very much appreciate all the time and energy you put into that message... fortunately (we had to decide yesterday), we chose the Statendam so I am relieved to hear your recommendation. We chose her mainly because of her itinerary as we were told that Glacier Bay beat Tracy Arm and - for first timers- Skagway over Sitka. You mention Hubbard Glacier... the way you are raving about it (and it sounds just like what we are hoping to see) it sort of sounds like it is in Glacier Bay???? Am I right?

And, since I have you 'on the line' if you will... we are in S024 which - if I count my windows correctly - will put us directly beneath that overhang that so many people have referenced. As this is not a sun-bathing cruise, do you think that matters very much on an Alaskan cruise? Or should we waitlist for another DVS further forward? You never know unless you ask....

And... since you brought it up.... do you like or dislike Open Seating (or as you refer to it.. AYWD)???

Thanks so much and I will be waiting with baited breath to hear your review and see your pics of your upcoming Stat cruise!

HNLGAL

I think you'll be happy with that choice

I've got my glaciers mixed up, sorry! We're also (like you) going to Glacier Bay National Park which is not the same as Hubbard Glacier but also very nice!

Btw, I don't believe that 024 is under the Lido restaurant "overhang" yet. It's right before the overhang starts so it should not be a problem on your cruise as far as visibility.

Never done "open seating" since they instituted it. We like the "fixed seating upstairs" part of AYWD incl. regular tablemates and staff

I would like to know this too. It sounds like you can pre-purchase a flight of alcoholic beverage cards/wine cards etc. I would like to see what they have to offer and the prices too. We aren't cruising until Sept. Is it governed by how far away your cruise date is?

Thank you!

To the couple of you with Q's about the beverage/wine cards, I would recommend you call Ship Services. This new program directly affects them so they ought to be able to provide the best info.

800-541-1576

As You Wish Dining is NOT "open dining" on the lower level of the Main Dining Room

Here... from HAL's Website:

As You Wish® dining

From a festive five-course affair to a quick, casual dinner for two, our As You Wish® dining lets you choose the venues and style that suit you.

The elegant main Dining Room

• Luxurious Dining Room, graced with fine art and antiques
  • Sophisticated Rosenthal china and crisp white table linens
  • Five-course menus with offerings from classic preparations regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options
  • Your choice of traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule

The Pinnacle Grill experience

• Intimate dining featuring Sterling Silver Beef® and fresh seafood
  • Luxurious appointments including Bvlgari® china, Riedel® stemware and Frette® linens
  • Extensive wine list featuring many selections rated “Excellent” by Wine Spectator

Other delightful ways to dine

• Fresh, cooked-to-order specialties in the Lido Restaurant for breakfast and lunch
  • Made-to-order dinner entrees and tableside waiter service in the Lido Restaurant for dinner
  • Complimentary 24-hour in-room dining
  • The Terrace Grill on deck
  • Late-night snack; Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza
  • Explorations Café featuring pastries and espresso drinks
  • Daily Afternoon Tea service, elevated to Royal Dutch High Tea once per cruise

A master staff and crew

• Enhanced menu design under the direction of Master Chef Rudi Sodamin
  • Executive chefs inducted into the prestigious Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs, an international food and wine society

Signature touches

• Ice cream bar featuring complimentary treats
  • Hot hors d’oeuvres during cocktail hour.

As You Wish Dining is NOT "open dining" on the lower level of the Main Dining Room

Here... from HAL's Website:

As You Wish® dining

From a festive five-course affair to a quick, casual dinner for two, our As You Wish® dining lets you choose the venues and style that suit you.

The elegant main Dining Room

• Luxurious Dining Room, graced with fine art and antiques
  • Sophisticated Rosenthal china and crisp white table linens
  • Five-course menus with offerings from classic preparations regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options
  • Your choice of traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule

The Pinnacle Grill experience

• Intimate dining featuring Sterling Silver Beef® and fresh seafood
  • Luxurious appointments including Bvlgari® china, Riedel® stemware and Frette® linens
  • Extensive wine list featuring many selections rated “Excellent” by Wine Spectator

Other delightful ways to dine

• Fresh, cooked-to-order specialties in the Lido Restaurant for breakfast and lunch
  • Made-to-order dinner entrees and tableside waiter service in the Lido Restaurant for dinner
  • Complimentary 24-hour in-room dining
  • The Terrace Grill on deck
  • Late-night snack; Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza
  • Explorations Café featuring pastries and espresso drinks
  • Daily Afternoon Tea service, elevated to Royal Dutch High Tea once per cruise

A master staff and crew

• Enhanced menu design under the direction of Master Chef Rudi Sodamin
  • Executive chefs inducted into the prestigious Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs, an international food and wine society

Signature touches

• Ice cream bar featuring complimentary treats
  • Hot hors d’oeuvres during cocktail hour.

So AYWD is not open seating? By which I meant choosing my time and taking a different table each night in the MDR?

On other cruises I have had the fixed time/table, but not shown up on some nights (PG or room service) and had planned to do the same this time. But I wanted to be on the upper floor of the MDR and the info doesn't say which floor is which plan.

Very confusing for this old lady!

So AYWD is not open seating? By which I meant choosing my time and taking a different table each night in the MDR?

On other cruises I have had the fixed time/table, but not shown up on some nights (PG or room service) and had planned to do the same this time. But I wanted to be on the upper floor of the MDR and the info doesn't say which floor is which plan.

No, AYWD is not open seating. Open seating is open seating. Nothing to be confused about.

AYWD is the umbrella term for all the dining choices. Those include fixed seating, open seating, Lido, room service, and whichever alternative restaurants are available on the ship you are sailing.

If you wish open seating, then must assuredly you will get it; it's fixed seating that closes out. Open seating is on the lower deck of all the ships (except the Prinsendam, which has dining rooms on one deck only). If you have open seating you may (emphasis "may") be seated at a table on the upper level if the lower level is full and there is room upstairs.

Clearer now?

This is how HAL introduced "As You Wish" dining in JULY 2007:

SEATTLE, July 16 — Holland America Line launches As You Wish dining, an innovative program that allows guests to choose from the best of both worlds — either traditional pre-set seating and dining times, or a completely flexible dining schedule. One level of the two-tiered restaurant will offer a flexible/open dining service from 5:15 to 9 p.m. daily, and the other will host two seatings, an early and main seating.

“Providing more options for our guests has been a hallmark of our Signature of Excellence initiative,” said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales, and guest programs. “Since flexible dining options have become more desirable by many of our guests, we will roll As You Wish dining out across the fleet to provide the most flexibility, choice and service to our guests. We’ve operated As You Wish dining in a pre-launch phase aboard the ms Noordam and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.”

Prior to their cruise, during the booking phase, guests will choose flexible/open dining or Holland America Line’s traditional pre-set dining time (early or main). Guests with flexible seating may make reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up anytime during dining hours. Holland America Line manages reservations and guest preferences through a unique computer system ensuring the same efficient and high quality service for the flexible/open dining as with the traditional pre-set format.

In addition to fixed and flexible/open dining options in the main dining room, Holland America Line features the reservations-only Pinnacle Grill restaurant with Pacific Northwest steak and seafood specialties and casual Lido dining with waiter service and the option to select dishes from the main restaurant menu or regular Lido offerings. For guests who choose an evening “in,” 24-hour complimentary room service includes dishes from the main restaurant during dining hours and a selection of meals and snacks.

The big chance was the open seating option on the bottom level of the main dining room. Before then, it had been four separate, but set dining times, two on the bottom, plus two on the top level of the MDR. AYWD added the open seating part, hence a lot of folks associate the open seating option with AYWD and call it such;)

Just wanted to let you know about the outcome of My Achorage Tour.We booked through Alaska Denali Tours ,Grand Anchorage/Portage Glacier Cruise got my vouchers today and low and behold the tour is through Grayline.I have come full circle.Why couldn't I just have kept the tour(exactly the same) I originally booked through HAL,and skipped all the aggravation.? I have a letter out to HAL Corporate,just awaiting a response.

To the couple of you with Q's about the beverage/wine cards, I would recommend you call Ship Services. This new program directly affects them so they ought to be able to provide the best info.

800-541-1576

DBA, I apologize for sounding so ignorant. I was hoping for selecting my own dining times and table size... that is all. I must admit, I would have preferred the upper level (claustrophic) but oh well. I took your advice and called Ship Services and they explained how I should go about what I am trying to accomplish.

They also sent me the beverage list (wines and spirits) and the "flights" where you can purchase X number of bottles (and you have a choice of vintners to choose from) at a small discount, or you can simply order a la carte if you will. They also explained about the $18 corkage fee if I brought my wine to the MDR with me. I think the spirits are a good deal as they are 1 L bottles, but I do not think any of the wine flights are, nor am I that interested in what they offer. I think I will just order a bottle here and there and drink what I really like (and bring myself) in my cabin. I am SO glad someone (Ruth?) mentioned - off the cuff - that you are allowed to bring your own wines and champagnes on board with you!!! Yippee!

Thank you again... EVERYONE!

Now all I have to do is WAIT!

Hello DBA,

I have booked a 14 day cruise for January 2011 on the Niew Amsterdam. Do you know when the formal nights will be scheduled?

Thanks for your help!

SUN 09JAN11 Sail from Fort Lauderdale, 5:00p

MON 10JAN11 Sea Day

TUE 11JAN11 Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 7:00a 3:00p

WED 12JAN11 San Juan, Puerto Rico 1:00p 8:00p

THU 13JAN11 Philipsburg (St. Maarten), AN 7:00a 3:00p

FRI 14JAN11 Sea Day

SAT 15JAN11 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas1 8:00a 4:00p

SUN 16JAN11 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 7:00a 5:00p

MON 17JAN11 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas1 8:00a 4:00p

TUE 18JAN11 Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 12:00n 6:00p

WED 19JAN11 Sea Day

THU 20JAN11 Georgetown, Cayman Islands1 7:00a 4:00p

FRI 21JAN11 Costa Maya, Mexico 10:00a 6:00p

SAT 22JAN11 Sea Day

SUN 23JAN11 Debark Ship Fort Lauderdale, 7:00a

On an itinerary like that, no I don't and even if something seems rather routine the staff onboard always has the final say. I CAN tell you that San Juan, Grand Turk and Costa Maya are LESS likely as they are later evenings in port.

Hello DBA,

I have booked a 14 day cruise for January 2011 on the Niew Amsterdam. Do you know when the formal nights will be scheduled?

Thanks for your help!

SUN 09JAN11 Sail from Fort Lauderdale, 5:00p

MON 10JAN11 Sea Day

TUE 11JAN11 Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 7:00a 3:00p

WED 12JAN11 San Juan, Puerto Rico 1:00p 8:00p

THU 13JAN11 Philipsburg (St. Maarten), AN 7:00a 3:00p

FRI 14JAN11 Sea Day

SAT 15JAN11 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas1 8:00a 4:00p

SUN 16JAN11 Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 7:00a 5:00p

MON 17JAN11 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas1 8:00a 4:00p

TUE 18JAN11 Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos 12:00n 6:00p

WED 19JAN11 Sea Day

THU 20JAN11 Georgetown, Cayman Islands1 7:00a 4:00p

FRI 21JAN11 Costa Maya, Mexico 10:00a 6:00p

SAT 22JAN11 Sea Day

SUN 23JAN11 Debark Ship Fort Lauderdale, 7:00a

Oh I'm so excited, she is a thing of beauty..I was trying desperately to see my "special" cabin 4166 which is supposed to have a wider balcony than most due to a crew stairwell, but the photo is just too fuzzy for great detail..Thanks DBA.

I think your bloggy thing is fantastic..so much info there..

Archived