A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Would love any ideas or suggestions you might have for:

MAUI ~ we're doing a Whale Watch until noon. Lahaina port. Anything to do for a few hours before we have to go back to the ship?

Considering the Ocean Center, but not sure about transportation after the whale watch, or how far away it is.

Kauai ~ just renting a car and exploring on our own. 7 am to 6:00.

Any suggestions of what not to miss?

LUAU ~ I've done many over the last 30 years, but my sis has never been

She insists on doing one. The only island where we'll be there in the evening is Oahu. I've considered Paradise Cove, but concerned about making it back to the ship in time (11:00 pm)

They said it was over at 9:00. But a 45 minute ride if no traffic problems

Any suggestions for a good luau?

Hilo ~ renting a car and exploring on our own. Any suggestions?

MAHALO!!!!

Waimea Canyon

Volcanoes National Park

MAHALO!!!!

See red

Wow I can’t believe I finally finished reading all your responses in this thread in just two settings.

Now THAT is dedication

You have great patience to continue to answer the same question over and over.

Why the secret? Just what is your position with HAL besides promotion of their product?

I answered that WAY back when on the blog. Here's a link

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/q-w-editor.html

I am booked October 16th on HAL’s 28 day Ft. Lauderdale San Diego Ft Lauderdale cruise. What is a good guess regarding the percentage of one way passengers on this cruise?

There is no data that supports this... just a guess... I would say a good guess would be 50-75% are one way guests

Do we have to disembark in San Diego?

Yes. USCBP needs a zero count

Will HAL medical have flu shots on board?

Medical has the necessary items for anyone that has been diagnosed with symptoms, however you cannot just "go get a flu shot." Your cruise is in October... most places will be doing flu shots by then. I would recommend you just see your family doctor or wherever you usually get yours and go a couple weeks before the trip.

…And to those knocking Carnival. My favorite ship in the whole world is what ever ship I find myself on.

Carnival is fun.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

314 days at sea

27 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

Holland America Statendam Oct 16th 28 nights

Carnival 7 nights Christmas 09

DutchByAssociation:

It is nice to see you on CC. Have you as a friend on facebook and just looked at some of your blogs. They are great. We just booked a cruise on the Eurodam Oct. 24, 2009. Loved the pictures of the Eurodam and the Veendam. Have been on the Veendam twice and can't wait until Aug. 22, 2009 to be on her again. This time we have one of the Lanai cabins.

All Holland America ships and crews are the best.

Keep up the good work.

Only line we will cruise with.

Thanks for the lovely comments! If you need more info about either ship (no specific stateroom requests) let me know and I'll see what I can dig up. I have a HUGE archive of Eurodam information.

Would love any ideas or suggestions you might have for:

MAUI ~ we're doing a Whale Watch until noon. Lahaina port. Anything to do for a few hours before we have to go back to the ship?

Considering the Ocean Center, but not sure about transportation after the whale watch, or how far away it is.

LUAU ~ I've done many over the last 30 years, but my sis has never been

She insists on doing one. The only island where we'll be there in the evening is Oahu. I've considered Paradise Cove, but concerned about making it back to the ship in time (11:00 pm)

They said it was over at 9:00. But a 45 minute ride if no traffic problems

Any suggestions for a good luau?

MAHALO!!!!

I have never actually been to Hawaii... apologies but I would be of absolutely no help to you here!

Just a quick question.

Who is scheduled to be the Captain and Cruise Director on the October 17th sailing of the Oosterdam from Barcelona?

Thanks.

I don't have staff lists that far in advance. Sorry. I know Copper seems to have a source, likely in the Fleet department... Ask in the main forum and he might be able to assist

New feature I'm starting on DBA. Want to eat like you're on a cruise even when you're land-locked? Check it out! Explanation of this segment can be found at the link, as well as my first recipe... Orange Balsamic Rock Cornish Hens.

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/08/cruise-gourmet-home-orange-balsamic.html

Yes, there was a nominal fee for the shuttle. We walked from the ship to the vaporetto terminal in the morning, but after a day of walking on my sprained ankle we took the shuttle for the trip back. We should mention that if you don't time it right, you may have to wait longer for the shuttle than it would take you to walk.

We will be in Venice again next year for three days and we will get the three day ticket. We'll get to see all the things that we missed last year. :cool: Hint: if you want to do the "secret tour" of the Doge's palace, you have to reserve it in advance. Once you get there, it will be too late as it books up really fast.

Steve and Avra - thank you so much. Looking forward to doing the Doge's Palace and trying to find a secret tour while we are there. arrive Saturday and Viator is only Saturday a.m. too risky, still looking though. Thank you again for your help. All the best in your cruising, Jacqui

To the best of my knowledge Joe Farcus has not been an advising factor in the design of HAL ships. And while I don't have hemorroids or certain other issues, I can't say I wouldn't keep them a secret if I did. :) John Heald is an inspiration to me though, as I took his blog as a goal to aspire to. No one said I can't take a different approach though. :D

How unfortunate you aspire to Mr. Heald's level of public communication. His need to base his humor on hos own bodily functions and the need to humilate passengers who complain about Carnival is the primary reason why I do not travel on Carnival and why I disuade anyone I know from travelling on them.

If this is the way you go then I'll be writing off Holland America as well. Most Carnival brands had much higher standards before they were acquired and "Carnivalized".

How unfortunate you aspire to Mr. Heald's level of public communication. His need to base his humor on hos own bodily functions and the need to humilate passengers who complain about Carnival is the primary reason why I do not travel on Carnival and why I disuade anyone I know from travelling on them.

If this is the way you go then I'll be writing off Holland America as well. Most Carnival brands had much higher standards before they were acquired and "Carnivalized".

If you wish to write off a cruise line because some practice the art of "free speech" I feel that you soon will not have a cruise line to Cruise on.

and for that I truly feel sorry for you.

But to each his/her own.

I am so glad - I was afraid I might have the unfortunate luck to have

you as a dinner partner on one of my HAL cruises. You will be doing

us all a favor !!

Westerdam pictures (I KNOW I KNOW... FINALLY :D) are starting to go up tonight.

Stay tuned to the blog for more!

Hi Dutch,

While you are on the topic of the Westerdam, do you know whether there will be any changes made, such as the addition of Canaletto, when it goes into drydock in April 2010? We assume that the primary purpose is to inspect the hull plates as a regular inspection is due then.

Hi Dutch,

While you are on the topic of the Westerdam, do you know whether there will be any changes made, such as the addition of Canaletto, when it goes into drydock in April 2010? We assume that the primary purpose is to inspect the hull plates as a regular inspection is due then.

Deck plans from recent brochures indicated that 4/14/10 will be the date that Canaletto will be available on Westerdam. (First day of first cruise after dry dock)

Deck plans from recent brochures indicated that 4/14/10 will be the date that Canaletto will be available on Westerdam. (First day of first cruise after dry dock)

Thank you. We will be on that first cruise and we were enjoying Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill so much on the Eurodam this year that we didn't have a chance to try Canaletto. Now we will have our chance.

Archived