A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

So, Maasdam won't have new bedding and updated flat screen TV's, mini-bars/refrigerators (in Ocean views and Insides) and Spa Staterooms until 2011. When was her last drydock?

Rotterdam is having a full retrofit/renovations this year?

Bedding is changed as it is deemed necessary by staff. The larger original Signature of Excellence dry dock for Maasdam (I don't have my dry dock calendar at home) would have added the Mariner Dream Beds... Same with the flat screen tv's which ought to be in every single room and should have been there for some time by now...

All S/R Class ships only have a refrigerator/"cooler" in Verandahs and higher. The minibar selections are available by request for those rooms but bottled water and a small selection of soft drinks are available standard (you can see that from the Zaandam room pictures I recently posted on the blog... the champagne was a gift from friends...) Spa rooms will come into being on Round 1.

Rotterdam receives everything that Veendam did (except those forward rooms that will become spa rooms were already verandahs so I don't think there is a need to extend the bridge wings) following this Transatlantic beginning on Halloween.

A few questions on the December sailing of the ms Amsterdam through the Panama canal;

1. Where are the nightly free appetizers served during cocktail hour ? :confused:

2. In the fitness room what is the Thermal Suite ? :confused:

3. Is there a cover charge for the Canaletto Restaurant ? :confused:

Thank you

Mike & Nancy

If this is some sort of event that is being hosted by a group onboard, then unless that agency advertises it as such, I believe you would have to be through that agency.

As you mention that they are marking it up (likely to cover the expenses of these guests) why not call them up and say "For the extra $X vs. booking it regular, what do I get?" and if the answer is one you like (or even if it isn't) then there you have it

I just came back from this cruise, the markup was to pay for the seminars, 18 hours worth of them, it was well worth the money and we did get an awesome reading personally. To answer your question, we had to show a name badge to get into the seminar.

Another plus for us, was that our kids sailed for greatly reduced fees, I want to say $85 plus port taxes and fees. It was definitely more expensive than we are used to paying but we got much more than just a cruise.

We had posted the following questions back on Nov 7th. and had no response and believe it may have been overlooked, any insight would be appreciated.

A few questions on the December sailing of the ms Amsterdam through the Panama canal;

1. Where are the nightly free appetizers served during cocktail hour ? :confused:

Thank you

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question, but can I request help from staff onboard a HAL ship for confirming my intercontinental flights.

Regards,

Sonja

You mean making sure the schedules and flights haven't changed and maybe pre-checking in for your flight?

Typically that is done online so you'd need to pay for the internet access, but I'm sure if you have any difficulty in navigating the sites, the internet manager onboard could assist you.

We had posted the following questions back on Nov 7th. and had no response and believe it may have been overlooked, any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

Apologies for missing your questions:

1) There are usually several locations, but I believe the Crow's Nest and Ocean Bar are the main ones.

2) The thermal suites are the heated tile loungers and some arometherapy areas.

3) No cover charge for Canaletto on any of the ships, but reservations are recommended since space is limited.

'Dutch' aka 'DBA'

Thank you for the updates to our questions.

1) There are usually several locations, but I believe the Crow's Nest and Ocean Bar are the main ones.

2) The thermal suites are the heated tile loungers and some arometherapy areas.

3) No cover charge for Canaletto on any of the ships, but reservations are recommended since space is limited.

hi dutch ,do you know who is the cellar master on noordam december 11 /09 cruise :confused:?

Lat cruise we met a wonderfull cellar master his name was Jay Lico he was great do u know if it will be him on this upcoming cruise december 11 /09 on Noordam ?:)

Noordam's cellarmaster on that cruise is scheduled to be Ferdinand Basa.:)

I will soon be interviewing one of the favorite Captains in the HAL fleet, and want to know what questions YOU want answers to. The top 5 questions (frequency and/or my favorites) will be asked along with some of my own, and I may even have a little something for the person asking my favorite question of all those submitted.

Here's what I need:

1) Your name (first is fine if you don't want the whole thing posted on here)

2) Where are you from (city and state/province/country will do nicely) - NOTE: if your question ends up being my favorite, I'll come back to you asking for the whole address)

3) Your question. Keep it general. What do you want to know about someone behind the 'wheel' of one of your favorite 'Dam Ships'?

4) When was your last Dam Cruise, what ship?

5) OPTIONAL - Feel free to include a photo/photos of your recent vacation and I'll post them on the blog.

Please have your inquiries in by December 4. Sooner would even be better. (And no, I'm not telling you which Captain beforehand... that's part of the fun, but he is currently in control of one of our ships... and not one in dry dock or a shipyard)

Hi we will be in SA cabin:) on the upcoming noordam cruise in December be just had finally purchased the upsell to move us from SS to SA

I wanted to ask is there any soda and lemonade or sometimes free sparkling wine or wine in the Neptune lounge , I read some post that sometime es there can be invitation to cocktail hour to Neptune lounge for drinks and appetizers .

is the small water bottle in the suite free ?the SA Suite is a first for us so I am looking forward any input and suggestions and tips that anyone can answer

hoping to hear from you soon and thank you in advance

I will soon be interviewing one of the favorite Captains in the HAL fleet, and want to know what questions YOU want answers to. The top 5 questions (frequency and/or my favorites) will be asked along with some of my own, and I may even have a little something for the person asking my favorite question of all those submitted.

Here's what I need:

2) Where are you from (city and state/province/country will do nicely) - NOTE: if your question ends up being my favorite, I'll come back to you asking for the whole address)

3) Your question. Keep it general. What do you want to know about someone behind the 'wheel' of one of your favorite 'Dam Ships'?

5) OPTIONAL - Feel free to include a photo/photos of your recent vacation and I'll post them on the blog.

Please have your inquiries in by December 4. Sooner would even be better. (And no, I'm not telling you which Captain beforehand... that's part of the fun, but he is currently in control of one of our ships... and not one in dry dock or a shipyard)

Hi, sorry if you've addressed this before, but I am reading a lot on these threads that wine cards are going away in January 2010. We're not sailing until May, 2010...wondering if we'll have the wine card available. This is a great source of information...thank you for everything.

Hi we will be in SA cabin:) on the upcoming noordam cruise in December be just had finally purchased the upsell to move us from SS to SA

I wanted to ask is there any soda and lemonade or sometimes free sparkling wine or wine in the Neptune lounge , I read some post that sometime es there can be invitation to cocktail hour to Neptune lounge for drinks and appetizers .

is the small water bottle in the suite free ?the SA Suite is a first for us so I am looking forward any input and suggestions and tips that anyone can answer

hoping to hear from you soon and thank you in advance

\\

;) first of all, congrats on your upgrade. You are about to enter a new way of life. The Neptune Lounge is traditionally open from around 7:30 a.m until 7:30 pm. (some minor changes depending upon the port). There you will find expressos, cappucinos, etc., teas, lemonade, orange juice, water, continental breakfast, fruits, during the day, appetizers galore. Your concierge is your front desk - they will take care of everything. T.V., magazines, a quiet spot to sit and on the Ooesterdam, they had a laptop there so you didn't even have to go to the internet centre (except to sign up).

Two cruises ago, we got an offer to upgrade to SA and took it and since then we haven't gone back. Bigger rooms, nicer verandahs, concierge that wants to make you happy and yes, there will be at least one party hosted in the Neptune Lounge by the captain and the officers for you.

Haven't seen free drinks yet, but who knows. I will tell you that the Sa is worth every penny as far as I am concerned. And remember you can cut down on packing. Free laundry. and the laundry service is excellent. No complaints ever and we are very fussy.

Enjoy the lap of luxury. If you have any other questions, feel free to post or email me at catjack@nbnet.nb.ca

more than happy to help. Jacqui

Here's what I need:

Ok Dutch, I'll bite, not sure if it reply here or on your website.

so here goes, Our names are Jacqui & Jose & we are from Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada.

we just came back from the October 5th sailing of the Ooesterdam and I have to tell you that I was blown away by the captain. Did you know he was the first one to try a dock where we were supposed to tender and he did it??? He came on twice a day talking about what we were doing and was seen all the time. You could tell he liked his job and was truly a tremendous asset to the cruise.

So, here is my question, why are so many of them aloof? Quite often other people make the announcements. They are rarely seen except at the formal 'picture taking thing' and very aloof. Now I know why the ship was sold out. Anyone who had sailed with this captain would gladly sail again. He cared and it showed all the way through the ship.

I was really nervous about the 'bigger' ship but I have to tell you that the captan was incredible. So my question is (you won't like it) why can't all the captains be incredible. Enjoy , truly enjoy and appreciate the passengers and do the utmost to make sure that they enjoy their cruise.

We had one day of bad weather, rough seas, and I never heard one complaint. Not with this crew and it comes from the top.

thanks, hope I didn't take up too much of your time. (actually our picture below is from a cruise, scary!)We love HAL heading off again in April. Take care. Jacqui

\\

;) first of all, congrats on your upgrade. You are about to enter a new way of life. The Neptune Lounge is traditionally open from around 7:30 a.m until 7:30 pm. (some minor changes depending upon the port). There you will find expressos, cappucinos, etc., teas, lemonade, orange juice, water, continental breakfast, fruits, during the day, appetizers galore. Your concierge is your front desk - they will take care of everything. T.V., magazines, a quiet spot to sit and on the Ooesterdam, they had a laptop there so you didn't even have to go to the internet centre (except to sign up).

Two cruises ago, we got an offer to upgrade to SA and took it and since then we haven't gone back. Bigger rooms, nicer verandahs, concierge that wants to make you happy and yes, there will be at least one party hosted in the Neptune Lounge by the captain and the officers for you.

Haven't seen free drinks yet, but who knows. I will tell you that the Sa is worth every penny as far as I am concerned. And remember you can cut down on packing. Free laundry. and the laundry service is excellent. No complaints ever and we are very fussy.

Enjoy the lap of luxury. If you have any other questions, feel free to post or email me at catjack@nbnet.nb.ca

more than happy to help. Jacqui

thank you so much now i am really excited my DH said that even that we paid for the upgrade /upsell extra this will be our x-mass gift to ourselfs from ourselfs :) we are really looking forward beeing in a much larger cabin with NL benefits so much to learn

so great to have CC boards to help me figure some new stuff out

thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me

:)

ps do the also have DVD selection and news papers in the NL?

thank you so much now i am really excited my DH said that even that we paid for the upgrade /upsell extra this will be our x-mass gift to ourselfs from ourselfs :) we are really looking forward beeing in a much larger cabin with NL benefits so much to learn

so great to have CC boards to help me figure some new stuff out

thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me

:)

ps do the also have DVD selection and news papers in the NL?

honey bunny, it just gets better and better. You don't go anywhere. If you want a dvd, go to the Neptune lounge and the concierge will show you the selection. No charge and delivered to the stateroom. newspapers at your door daily but there are a few sometimes in the Neptune Lounge.

Remember if you want anything, just go to the Neptune Lounge - they will take care of it.

dvd's are free, laundry's free, munchies in the Neptune free. I loved going there for coffee because I wake up before dh and if I do room service he will be woken up. so we only do room service on heavy port days.

I just come back (and yes you can bring it back to your room), hit my verandah and take a deep sigh. If he wakes up in time he has warm coffee and if not, I have drank it and just go back get more.

Life is simple in an SA, believe me. Jacqui

honey bunny, it just gets better and better. You don't go anywhere. If you want a dvd, go to the Neptune lounge and the concierge will show you the selection. No charge and delivered to the stateroom. newspapers at your door daily but there are a few sometimes in the Neptune Lounge.

Remember if you want anything, just go to the Neptune Lounge - they will take care of it.

dvd's are free, laundry's free, munchies in the Neptune free. I loved going there for coffee because I wake up before dh and if I do room service he will be woken up. so we only do room service on heavy port days.

I just come back (and yes you can bring it back to your room), hit my verandah and take a deep sigh. If he wakes up in time he has warm coffee and if not, I have drank it and just go back get more.

Life is simple in an SA, believe me. Jacqui

sorry I forgot to add don't know how much you paid but I bet you saved a lot on the cost of this suite. They are at a premium for a reason. So Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings or whatever is correct for you. Enjoy and I hope it is more than a 7 day cruise so you can get the true enjoyment out of it. Jacqui

Archived