Hi this is my first post on the South America threads

smeyer418

I am looking for a cruise that goes around the end of South America stops at Pointe Del Este, valapriso etc and I can go to the Post office at the end of South America....can I do this on my own? what cruise lines do you suggest and yes price is an issue.

Thanks for any help.

Sid

I am looking for a cruise that goes around the end of South America stops at Pointe Del Este, valapriso etc and I can go to the Post office at the end of South America....can I do this on my own? what cruise lines do you suggest and yes price is an issue.

Thanks for any help.

Sid

So the question: can you be prepair all by yourselve? No, you will need many SA experts.

There are many cruises for SA. First decide date, then you will see the rout from BA to Valparaiso or Valparaiso to BA, I recomend you to start in BA. You also need to chose your cruise line, there is Celebrity, very good service, you can see my blog and my critic, theres Norwigian more cheaper that stops in other ports, also Crystal that is longer, and many more.

Just a thing you need to know each line has differents ports, if you sail with Celebrity from BA you stop in Montevideo, Punta del Este, Puerto Madryn, Ushauaia where is the post office, Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt, oh and the Falklands Islands.

Check prices. Give us more details of what you need in your trip.

Thanks for any help.

Sid

An amazingly naive and broad based query coming from someone with over 12,800 posts. Try a search of So Am cruises on a site like www.*****.com but I´ll bet you already knew that.

Just a thing you need to know each line has differents ports, if you sail with Celebrity from BA you stop in Montevideo, Punta del Este, Puerto Madryn, Ushauaia where is the post office, Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt, oh and the Falklands Islands.

Oops, Celebrity does not run the same itinerary east bound and west bound around the horn. Cruising out of Buenos Aires on January 4, we did not stop in Punta del Este. The west bound cruise also gets a view of the glaciers along the Beagle Channel as it leaves Ushuaia that the eastbound cruise usually passes in darkness on its way into Ushuaia--and they are just beautiful, even if you have seen glaciers before.

Sid, there are so many variations on the theme and so many trade-offs in picking an itinerary. The more you read, the harder it will be to choose. Expedia or Orbitz let you do side by side comparisons and that may be helpful.

Although it locks you into their timing and their more expensive hotels for pre- and post-cruise stays, because of the high airfare, you may want to look for 'cruise plus air' deals. Still, do the math on this one because depending on how many nights you want to do pre- and post- it still may be cheaper to book your own airfare and find cheaper hotels to stay in. There were a number of air included deals available this past April and May for the 2008-2009 season and perhaps this will happen again this year.

Timing is another consideration in choosing when to go. Will the penguins still be there?

We were on Star Princess in Jan. from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. We took a ship excursion to see Punta del Este from Montivideo. The tour included a visit to the Rally Musuem - a lovely museum in a beautiful residential area, some of the sites in Punta del Este, time to walk around town and a nice lunch at an ocean view restaurant. We enjoyed the day and Punta del Este was beautiful.

Oops, Celebrity does not run the same itinerary east bound and west bound around the horn. Cruising out of Buenos Aires on January 4, we did not stop in Punta del Este. The west bound cruise also gets a view of the glaciers along the Beagle Channel as it leaves Ushuaia that the eastbound cruise usually passes in darkness on its way into Ushuaia--and they are just beautiful, even if you have seen glaciers before.

Sid, there are so many variations on the theme and so many trade-offs in picking an itinerary. The more you read, the harder it will be to choose. Expedia or Orbitz let you do side by side comparisons and that may be helpful.

Although it locks you into their timing and their more expensive hotels for pre- and post-cruise stays, because of the high airfare, you may want to look for 'cruise plus air' deals. Still, do the math on this one because depending on how many nights you want to do pre- and post- it still may be cheaper to book your own airfare and find cheaper hotels to stay in. There were a number of air included deals available this past April and May for the 2008-2009 season and perhaps this will happen again this year.

Timing is another consideration in choosing when to go. Will the penguins still be there?

Ive seen penguins...thanks for the suggestions....

IMG_0064.jpg.0e5ede7a7756cf23ba78b5510baa2f46.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg.b53ed0569fbfe4d331423847382e3743.jpg

Archived