NCL or RCCI? Need help....

mjtripper

My sister and I both in our 40's are considering a Bermuda cruise for 2009.

We have just started looking at cruises for 2009 and came across Bermuda.

So I thought I would ask the experts....

It seems that NCL and RCCI have the market for this area and I noticed that they both dock on different sides of the island (St.George/Kings Warf) Are there any pro/cons for each side?

What ship would you recommend for our demographics?

Why would you cruise to Bermuda?

Any recommendations for things to do?

What would be the best month to go?

Do you use the ship sort of like a resort since this is the only island you would be going to?

Any recommendations for cabin selection?

Any other comments would be helpful.

First and foremost, my choice would be NCL since they do a 7 day cruise as opposed to the 5 day on RCCL. The shorter one is just not enough time in Bermuda.

Our preference is to dock in St. George, a lovely historic and picturesque town. Many like King's Wharf so there is nothing wrong with either place, just individual preferences. Bermuda has a good public transportation system which allows you easy access to anywhere. If you're a beach person, the South Shore beaches are closer to Kings Wharf and far from St. George which is on the opposite end of the island... but the island is only 20 miles long.:)

Have you cruised before? If so, was it on a large or a small ship? NCL's Majesty is an older small ship that docks in St. George. If you don't like a smaller ship, the Majesty and St. George may not be a good fit. If you check the NCL board, you can find lots of reviews on the Majesty or any of the other NCL ships that go to Bermuda. For us, the itinerary (docking in St. George and longer stay) is more important than the ship.

Our favorite time to go is Oct. The weather has always been nice and the water warm. It's also less crowded and an added bonus is the rates are the best.

The ship is like your hotel. You dine and sleep there, as well as have shows and activities. You come and go as you please.

Too long a list of things to do without knowing if you're a beach person, like historical things, etc. A search on this board will brings up lots of threads with things to do.

Our prefernce for cabin selection is low and mid-ship....more stable there in case there is any bad weather. Many people dismiss Oct. as being hurricane season, maybe we've been fortunate, but it has never been an issue. Actual hurricane season goes from June 1 to Nov. 30.;)

Check this interactive map for some good views of Bermuda. Click on any of the spots and another window will pop up with a video.

http://www.caribbean.com/jsp/maps.js...tDestination=6

We have cruised NCL Dawn (NY to Kings Wharf) 3 times and loved it!!! We have our 4th trip booked for this coming June. We like the bigger ships better because there is more to do. And, we HAVE to have a balcony. The Majesty doesn't have any balconies.

There is lots to do in Bermuda: The Zoo, The Crystal Caves, tons of historic places to visit, and more beaches than you'll ever have time to visit. The people are incredibly friendly. And, the Bermuda Rum Cakes (in Kings Wharf) is reason enough to go (for us anyway)!

NCL's Majesty will enable you to cruise through "the cut" into St. George harbor and be greeted by the town crier. The days seem to be numbered for that experience, as the ships get bigger and bigger.

I agree with earlier posts on the longer in Bermuda, the better! :)

I am booked on a cruise with RCCL sailing to Bermuda in November. Is it too cold to go to the beach at that time? We are there from 10:00 am to 3:00 the following day.........1.5 days.......any suggestions if the water is too cold or the beach is off?

Thanks

Dorene

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing Bermuda in July on NCL with the Spirit. I have no idea which NCL ship you are looking at. That could help us answer ship questions. I am not too familiar with RCCL as it has been many years since I sailed with them.

The Majesty is an older ship ready to retire and I have not sailed her, but heard mixed reviews. We are leaving out of Boston (we are driving there) on the Spirit. My parents like a balcony and the Majesty does not have any. W can't seem to do a cruise shorter than 7 days as we love cruising. I want to go longer. but you can only go when they let you. (most cruises are 7 days)

I am getting excited talking about our next cruise.

Please let us know more about you and what you are looking for and we will gladly help you get into a perfect fit cruise!!!!!

The ncl dawn cruise from nyc to bermuda was a great value. It was rough on the first day and even the crew was getting sick. We took bonine and were fine, you have to make sure you eat frequently when it is rough, don't stay in your room or you will make it worse. The rest of the cruise was fun, very warm in mid october. We docked in kings wharf and rented scooters. The deal with the scooters is if you are a good driver in a car and and drive defensively it is safe. I don't suggest riding double, get your own because driving it is the fun part, you can get anywhere and you smell the sea and the flowers. We kept our scooter right outside the ship at the dock with no problem. You just bring your helmet on the ship and when you want to go just jump on your mini hog and jet. We took the ferry right near the dock to St. George for $4.00 each and brought our scooters aboard and jumped on them right off the boat and rode away to start touring right away. We rode to the St. David lighthouse which is red and white and has the best view. Then you leave the lighthouse and head for the south road which is where all the beaches are and you stop at each one and beach hop. They are all so beautiful we didn['t want to miss a single one. On the way from St david you go thru one of the most beautiful golf courses I have ever seen, it was like being in beverly hills but better. Alot of cruisers stop by the Swizzle Inn on the south road and have a famous rum swizzle drink, this place is a must stop for many and it is so quaint with this beautiful wooden bar. After beach hoppin and rum swizzling go find a quiet place at the end of the beach for an afternoon delight...after all this is the most romantic place to be with your sweetie and if you take care of your man outdoors he will let you shop longer. Then go to Hamilton and get in the shopping and buy some goslings rum, they have a store right on front street in hamilton and they will deliver it to your ship for free so you don't have to carry it. then ride back to the ship and enjoy sights along the way and you will have had a perfect day. Then it will be time to get cleaned up, go to dinner and a show and some late night fun. The next day get up and go to the beaches and lay around. In kings wharf they have a rum cake factory with lots of free samples, don't miss this. Make sure you buy at least 2 bottle of goslings black seal rum, I use it to make cakes with, just replace about 1/3 cup of water with the rum and bake any kind of cake, it will be so moist and will last at least a week. The bonefish grill at the dock is a ripoff, eat fish and chips for free at the blue lagoon on the ship. It is better, then you can buy more gas for your scooter and extra rum!!for cakes!!!

My sister and I both in our 40's are considering a Bermuda cruise for 2009.

We have just started looking at cruises for 2009 and came across Bermuda.

So I thought I would ask the experts....

It seems that NCL and RCCI have the market for this area and I noticed that they both dock on different sides of the island (St.George/Kings Warf) Are there any pro/cons for each side?

What ship would you recommend for our demographics?

Why would you cruise to Bermuda?

Any recommendations for things to do?

What would be the best month to go?

Do you use the ship sort of like a resort since this is the only island you would be going to?

Any recommendations for cabin selection?

Any other comments would be helpful.

We like to go in September since the weather (and the water) is still warm and the prices to Bermuda are dirt cheap. I would cruise on the NCL Dawn since it's in Bermuda for three days verses 32 hours in which Royal Caribbean stays. Also the Dawn docks at Kings Wharf in which it's easier to get to the South Shore Beaches which is where I'll be headed. :)

we have always cruised on big ships this is our first time on bermuda on the NCL Majesty. We chose it based on itinerary and docking port. We figure we wont be spending any time on the ship except for the days at sea so the ship is essentially a place to sleep at night and eat breakfats in the morning.

I have been on the NCL Majesty to Bermuda twice. I have been on the Spirit and the Dawn (twice) but this was when we were going to other islands and stopped in Bermuda for one day. We are going on the Spirit to Bermuda from Boston this August.

We like the longer time in Bermuda, The Explorer of the Seas has a good following but we do not like the 5 day sailings. We live close to Boston so we decided to go back on the Spirit and not drive to NYC this year.

We are looking at the Celebrity Summit for summer 2010 out of NJ since it will be doing 7 day Bermuda runs beginning in April 2010 through the summer.

Archived