Tours for the disabled in St. Martin

MaryLS

We have never found any tours here, and are just happy that the ships now dock so my son can get downtown. Hope someone knows of something because I would like to take advantage of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tour in St. Martin that will accomodate a person in a wheelchair?

I have just returned from a Service Dog training cruise that included St. Maarten. The Oosterdam (HAL) shore excursion dept (Maureen) put together a flock of taxis, (vans, pickup trucks and one emergency vehicle (old ambulance, sort of) and we went to the Butterfly Farm, which was accessible and also Orient Beach for a bar b que. Those of us who went had power chairs, scooters, manual chairs, and there were several Service Dogs.

On the way to the butterfly farm we got a taxi driver guided tour of the island that included both Dutch and French areas and a stop at a flea market. Better than Nassau but still rough....not bad.

It can be done. Insist, insist, insist.

• 1 month later...

We got a cab and had a wonderful driver who drove us all around both the French and Dutch sides, one of the beaches and we stopped for pictures whenever we wanted and did things at our own pace.

Most any tours we went on, whatever the island, the drivers are knowledgeable and will give you an informative site seeing tour. I much prefer this over the cruise tours which cost more and are more rigid of a schedule.

The only concern we had at first was if a taxi broke down. We have noticed on the tours, there are taxis everywhere. All you would have to do is stop one as it passes through. They can either let you in or get in or page one to come get you. It doesn't seem that big of a deal and I have yet to see one stranded anywhere.

We were there over Christmas and had not expected much for Hannah to do since she was in a power chair. However, she found it easier to navigate than both San Juan and St. Thomas!

The area around the dock is really growing. You can shop there and not feel as if you have missed anything. They are planning to add more shops and restaurants so that people don't have to go all the way to town.

Hannah and her mom ventured into town and were pleasantly surprised. While the sidewalks were narrow, they were recently paved and didn't jostle her too much. Once they got in the downtown, they were able to shop without too much trouble, even in a power chair. In addition, she was able to take the boardwalk right to the beach. With a little more preparation, we could have camped her out there for the afternoon.

St. Maarten definitely got kudos from Hannah for accessibility!

mmcintire:

Which beach was down the boardwalk, and where is the boardwalk in relation to the dock?

We are going in March, and have thought of Carnival's "Everyting' Cool " excursion. It says it is only about 15 min. from the dock.

My soulmate needs a w/c for distances. We are bringing his collapsible w/c, which we planned to use for the ports. We have rented a scooter for the ship.

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

RC told us that there was lots to walk to in St. Maarten, but we didn't really see anything except the shopping.

We did not find any accessible transportation for a wheelchair with a lift, so I borrowed a friends manual chair so I could take a bus to the beach. I need a lot of trunk & head support, so I was really uncomfortable especially on the bus seat, but at least I got out to the beach.

The beach by the boardwalk is Great Bay Beach. If you're able to take the water taxi at the H20 Pier(which is the closest pier to where the ships are docked) you will get off at Town Pier - Front Street which is in the center of town. The beach and boardwalk are to your right as you exit the pier. You won't be able to take the water taxi unless you can navigate 2-3 steps to board the taxi. Your other options are to take a regular taxi (the stand is behind the shops (harbor village) at the ships docking pier, or take the new walkway via Bobby's Marina to the boardwalk and town. It's approx 20 mins from the ships pier to town via the walkway. You can rent chairs and umbrellas at various places on the beach. Across from the beach are shops and restaurants that overlook the harbor. If you walk to town and enjoy shopping the prices get higher the closer you get to the center of town.

Archived