Pop Star Princess!

Elle in Chicago

Attention Pop Star Princess fanatics! We've been watching the YouTube clips regarding Pop Star Princess and can't figure out if the singers can read the words while they're performing or if they have to have the song memorized. Can anyone help us out with this? We're first-time Princess cruisers. Also, on a scale of 1-10, what's the intimidation factor for singing at the Pop Star Princess event. Thanks!

Attention Pop Star Princess fanatics! We've been watching the YouTube clips regarding Pop Star Princess and can't figure out if the singers can read the words while they're performing or if they have to have the song memorized. Can anyone help us out with this? We're first-time Princess cruisers. Also, on a scale of 1-10, what's the intimidation factor for singing at the Pop Star Princess event. Thanks!

If you plan on joining in, you had better know the songs, no words to follow. Nothing like Karaoke................actual performances.

I thought that on our CB cruise in May, there were monitors up in the lounge where the words were scrolled....:confused:

Perhaps I'm confused.

Opps, my error, I was confusing it with Princess passenger performances. Time for bed, my brain must need some rest. LOL

I thought that on our CB cruise in May, there were monitors up in the lounge where the words were scrolled....:confused:

Perhaps I'm confused.

I think they give you a print out of the words and you also have rehersal time. Tanya

its just like karaoke. words are on the monitors. my daughter made the finals twice.

i've only tried it once. intimidation factor? hmmm 3. i waited to go after the really 'tipsy' singers, so it wasn't so scary! and the people were really nice, cheering and applauding everyone.

Lyrics are available on a scrolling monitor in front of the performers and, in a venue like Club Fusion, the audience can see the song lyrics on the strategically-placed televisions around the room.

That said, many, if not most of the Princess Idol contestants that DH and I have seen are extremely polished and appear to have their song choices memorized. I think it's safe to say that most of the performers are very familiar with the songs and quite possibly the particular version that they sing in the competition. We've seen some very talented vocalists in Princess Idol :)

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Lyrics are available on a scrolling monitor in front of the performers and, in a venue like Club Fusion, the audience can see the song lyrics on the strategically-placed televisions around the room.

That said, many, if not most of the Princess Idol contestants that DH and I have seen are extremely polished and appear to have their song choices memorized. I think it's safe to say that most of the performers are very familiar with the songs and quite possibly the particular version that they sing in the competition. We've seen some very talented vocalists in Princess Idol :)

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Agreed....on all of the cruises where I have gone to see the finals, and thats at least 4, everyone who made it to the finals was, at the very least, a good singer who had obviously done it before. Some were excellent and it wouldnt surprise me to learn that they had done it professionally at some point in their lives.

I did speak to one of the contestants in one of the lounges the day before the finals and they do get rehearsal time. You'd be surprised how seriously some of the finalists take it. So, if you're thinking about it, get ready for some decent competition! :)

Princess Pop Star was one of my sister and I's favorites things on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. I would 75% of the contestants were very good. And the finalists were excellent. They do have moniters to look at, and it was a lot of fun to read the words as they were singing. One of the finalists on our cruise even admitted to being trained at Julliard! Our audiances were really appreciative of the singers and gave them all a lot of support. Have fun!

I too competed in Princess Pop Star a few years back. I sing at church and trained in high school. It is a lot of fun --- got nervous! I made it to the finals and they give out really good prizes, even if you don't win. The singers are all very good. If you don't make it in the first round, try again. I wasn't going to, but one of the Cruise Director girls told me to try again since I did get a good amount of votes! Most of all, have fun! People in the competition and in the audience are extremely supportive and appreciative! The funny part in the finals, is the staff pretends to be like "American Idol" and critique you -- even acting out like the Judges - including a Simon Cowell!

• 2 weeks later...

A Juliard-trained singer? Wow, how about that! That'd be fantastic.

So, I'm just curious... Do you get to pick what you sing? Or, are the songs selected for you? How may songs do you need to sing? One, or more (for every round, just like in AI)? Are the "repertoire" from oldies or from the current BB chart?

I can sing... as long as the lyrics are there. If I am asked to sing anything by memory, forget it... :o Since I never win anything otherwise (any game that involves "chance" or gambling know-how's), I might be interested in the fair game of Karaoke (unless there is a grown-up version of "spelling bee" :D). You never know... As long as the lyrics are there, I usually do not panic. I don't know what it is, but I always get a "pseudo-panic" attack over the memorization of lyrics.

What kind of games (non-bingo/card games) are available on Princess?

BTW, this is our first-ever cruise - I am naturally ignorant of many things when it comes to the cruise culture. :o

A Juliard-trained singer? Wow, how about that! That'd be fantastic.

So, I'm just curious... Do you get to pick what you sing? Or, are the songs selected for you? How may songs do you need to sing? One, or more (for every round, just like in AI)? Are the "repertoire" from oldies or from the current BB chart?

I can sing... as long as the lyrics are there. If I am asked to sing anything by memory, forget it... :o Since I never win anything otherwise (any game that involves "chance" or gambling know-how's), I might be interested in the fair game of Karaoke (unless there is a grown-up version of "spelling bee" :D). You never know... As long as the lyrics are there, I usually do not panic. I don't know what it is, but I always get a "pseudo-panic" attack over the memorization of lyrics.

What kind of games (non-bingo/card games) are available on Princess?

BTW, this is our first-ever cruise - I am naturally ignorant of many things when it comes to the cruise culture. :o

You get to pick what you sing. They probably have one of the largest karaoke song choice list I've ever seen. The songs are from all genres of music. The words are on a screen in front of you. You can choose to sing the same song from the prelims to the finals, it is entirely up to you. I like you, panic if I don't have the words in front of me, but they are there. Most of all have fun!

In regards to games on the ship -- they have a variety of different games going on each day at different times. They do so many things from adult ninetendo wii to trivia, card game et togethers, golf putting competitions, pictionary, jenga, water volleyball and many more! Hope this helps.

I did this last year on the CB in July. You pick your own songs and the words are on the monitors all around Club Fusion. I made it to the finals (and won:)) and we had a rehearsal earlier in the day of the finals. There are no rehearsals for the regular competition heats, only the finals.

I don't know if they always do this, but only on the night of the finals they had only one small TV in front of the singers to read the lyrics. They didn't scroll on the big screens around the lounge. The host told us they did this during the finals so others would not sing along and distract the singers.

There is a very large song catalog with many styles to choose from. They gave me a bottle of champagne, a box of chocolates, 2 decks of Princess playing cards, Princess stationary, and The Reflections DVD of our cruise. It was a very fun way to end the cruise.

I have been fortunate enough to compete in the Princess Pop Star Competition 4 times and have made the finals 4 times. I've never won but I have really enjoyed the whole experience. It is exactly like karaoke. There are usually 3 or 4 preliminary competitons where one or two contestants are chosen for the final. If you are chosen, you meet the morning of the final in one of the lounges and are afforded the opportunity to practice one or two songs just so you know or are familiar with the particular versions. Some of them are just a bit different than the artist's version. The night of the final is modeled after American Idol in that you perform and the "guest panel" (cruise activity staff or performers) will critique your performance. They are not too brutal and it's all in good fun. Give it a try and you might just see me there (I like to channel Elvis).

Bon Voyage!

Archived