Thinking of the Sun for a May jaunt in Alaska: Should I?

sppunk

I've never been on a Princess ship, so I can't offer any comparisons. Our only 2 cruises have both been NCL, but we were especially satisfied with our cruise on the Sun to Alaska last June. Like any other cruise, decide what's a "must see" for you, look at the stops on the itinerary, look at the pricing, and make your decision from there.

For us it was an easy choice, as I wanted to cruise NCL again since I thought the freestyle would work better for our kids 1st cruise, and that was what I was familiar with. Also, for us, there was a BIG price difference, with NCL being a lot cheaper. We needed a quad cabin, and for the week we needed to go, the Sun was about our only option with space available (we didn't book until the end of March).

We enjoyed the ship itself, thought the food was great, had excellent service, and enjoyed the ports. If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

[quote name='sppunk']I've read so many glowing reviews, and so many horrific reviews. What's the balance of this ship, and do you guys think it's a better deal than the Princess Sun to Alaska?

Thanks for any advice.

Chris.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was a better deal that why I cruised on the Sun last August. Is it a better deal for you that you will have to decide. Both lines have a quality product. It is a matter of what ship meets your expectations.

I have been on the Sun twice and the only Princess ship was the Grand. For me I was able to book an Aft Mini that got upgraded to an AD Penthouse for less then a standard balcony on Princess.

I dont think you will have a bad trip on either line but keep in mind Alaska is all about shore excursions. I would choose on itinerary and cost. Every dollar you save on the cruise will allow you to enjoy more of Alaska.

I have not found a lot of negitve posted about the Sun. It is a right sized ship that allows you to enjoy the the value of Freestyle. There are a few pictures of our Alaska Adventure in the link below my signature.

Good luck and enjoy Alaska

Archived