Alaska - which ship? Which itinerary?

CruisinEurope

We are going to Alaska this summer (2009) and have opted for the Pearl out of Seattle (7 days). The main deciding factor for us was Glacier Bay. We would have preferred a longer cruise but all of NCL's itineraries are 7 days.

If we were to choose a trip for 2010 we would probably opt for the one-way itineraries being offered - either both as a back to back (14 days) or one way with a land based holiday in interior Alaska.

Honestly with Alaska it is much less about the ship and more about Alaska. You will be so busy seeing all the amazing beauty of Alaska you will hardly notice the ship. With that said, however, I would have to say that I think the Pearl might be a better choice just because of the extra's it has. ie. bowling lanes, etc.

Honestly with Alaska it is much less about the ship and more about Alaska. You will be so busy seeing all the amazing beauty of Alaska you will hardly notice the ship. With that said, however, I would have to say that I think the Pearl might be a better choice just because of the extra's it has. ie. bowling lanes, etc.

Ok! Great! So what is "not to miss" when doing Alaska? I see that NCL offers SEVERAL different routes... and none of them mean anything to me since I've not yet started any research on Alaska....

any favorite routes??? favorite stops?? favorite excursions???

THanks!

The Alaska board here on CC is full of great information. It made our first cruise to Alaska so easy.

Our favourite excursion was in Juneau - we went with North Star Trekking - helicopter to the glacier and then a "hike" on the glacier (wearing crampons). We could only do the basic trek as there are age limits on the various tours (DS was 10) but it was still wonderful. The only problem is the cost - very expensive. We reasoned that we might never get the chance to do it again.

One excursion which I'm sure your DS and DD would enjoy is the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan. It's aimed mainly at children but both DH and I enjoyed it too.

In Skagway we went on the railway. DS was happy with this but it might not appeal to all children. You can hire a car for the day and travel up the road which follows a similar route to the train.

Hope this gives you some starting points.

Thanks!!!

I am in love with these boards! So helpful!

I am avidly reading the Alaska board too - - but know that we want to cruise NCL so I'm looking specifically for which NCL route to take.... didn't think it would be wise to post that specific question on the Alaska board, as I didn't want to be hijaked or flamed for my cruise line choice.

LOL

There is so much to to do in Alaska, you only get a glimpse with a cruise. I prefer the day cruising in Glacier Bay, which can only be done on the Pearl with NCL. Glacier Bay is a national park, whereas Teal Inlet and Sawyer Glacier aren't. The Park Service only allows a certain number of ships to sail in Glacier Bay, limiting the number of ships into the Bay. The other two NCL ships this year will do Teal Inlet and Sawyer Glacier instead. Otherwise, the cruise ships do mostly the same ports of call in Alaska. Hint: Glacier Bay is not to be missed......

It can be overwhelming when you're first starting your research. Best advice is to find an itinerary with longer port times - the longer you are in port, the more you get to see and experience. If you sail in June/July - you'll have daylight til around 10PM or later in the evening, which is a big plus! Sitka is by far our favorite port - been there twice now and if DH had his way, we'd live there if I'd just give the go ahead! Very quaint, non-touristy fishing village. Really beautiful and serene. But then most of Alaska is. Ketchikan is very touristy, but we get out of town each time we're there - either flight seeing or kayaking. Juneau offers great whale watching (Harv and Marv's Whale Watching was a wonderful excursion!), and many other options - helicopter flights to glaciers, glacier trekking, hiking on Mt. Roberts, Mendenhall Glacier, etc. Lots to see and do in Alaska and its all about the destination - go, enjoy! You'll be back, I guarantee it!;)

Archived