Butchart Gardens and Butterfly Gardens--worth it

prncsscruiser

We will be in Victoria in June. We are not sure if we should do the gardens and butterfly tour or if we should do something else instead. None of us are gardeners or know anything about plants in general. However it is so popular it seems that if we don't go we would be missing out. We are in port from 6am to 2pm. I have pre-reserved the excursion just in case, because they seem to be filling up very quickly. Any suggestions would be great, as well as alternatives as to what else we can do.

I live in Vancouver and whenever I have friends or family visiting from abroad I usually take them on a tour to Victoria including Butchard's Garden and have been there at least 5 times but still enjoy going.

It really is a matter of preferences but here is my experience;

I am not a gardener but appreciate and love being in nature.

Butchard's Garden is very beautiful, there is so much to see and to walk around.

My favourite place is the 'Sunken Garden', with the waterworks.

There is also a Japanese Garden and a beautiful rose garden.

I only know very little about flowers and plants but just the sheer explosion of colours and fragrances is inspiring.

Here is a link to Butchard's Garden Website: http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Here is also a direct link to their interactive virtual tour which will give you a very good idea what to expect:

http://www.butchartgardens.com/the-gardens/virtual-tour/virtual-tour.html

I have been to a few Gardens around the World, including Botanical Gardens in Asia and in Europe but Butchard's Garden really is very hard to beat.

Have a look through the pictures and see what you think.

I definetly think it's worth a visit, however since you only have a limited amount of time in Victoria I can understand how you feel as there are other things to do there.

If the tour includes a little bit of time to walk through Victoria and see the Empress Hotel or gives you enough time to still do that before or after, I would very much recommend the Butchard's Garden Tour.

Hope this helps.

I haven't been to the Butterfly Garden, but Butchart Gardens is amazing - and I'm not a gardener. The Sunken Gardens is definitely a WOW experience. My ship will be in Victoria from 7 p.m. until midnight, and I've already reserved the excursion through the ship.

Archived