***** Price Gouging on Norwegian Cruise Line*****

helosardig

I think that is right. Though I think you may have to apply for a tax refund or something along those lines??

Believe me.. LOL.. I was to busy drooling over the 4.5 c. diamong ring we were looking at to buy to hear very clearly what the sales lady was saying. It was such a great price for that ring, but we ended up not buying it. Something we have both have had regrets about.

This thread reminded me of last year on the jewel a fee of the crew told me that they had bought some electronics at a store at a port only to find later the boxes had rocks in them. Of course they didn't discover until too late. Now I have 2 warnings to remember.

This is all cruise lines. I was on A Royal Caribbean cruise. I looked at a camera, I liked. I had a coupon for the internet use. I went up to the internet lounge logged on to best buy, and found the camera for 100.00 cheaper than the ship. I bought the camera when I came home

Keep in mind that this was only on the NCL Pearl. Also if I only spending close to $400 on watches, what would be the mark up on a diamond ring? Plus if NCL cared they would have written me back when I sent an email to the corporate headquarters two weeks ago. I spent my life protecting this nation and I refuse to allow this type of blind justice take advantage of innocent people.

If you think that markup is bad you should see the land based jewelry stores the average markup is between 200-300% I know as I used to work in one How do you think they can c

take 1000 off and still make a profit ?

Next time I am on NCL I will keep a close WATCH on the prices.

Nice pun. :) However, I'd suggest that the next time you are on ANY cruiseship, not just an NCL ship, that you keep a close WATCH on the prices. This issue is not exclusive to NCL.

Terry: I know what you mean about that ring you were talking about. Something that gorgeous sorts of makes you deaf when it comes to what they are saying doens't it? I still regret not buying an amazing platinum and opal bracelet in Belize. I was just afraid to do it cause I had no clue if they were pulling one over me or not. But I've never seen anything like it here in the states. I've even thought once or twice when booking cruises about making sure they stop in Belize so I have another shot at that bracelet! LOL

CG

This is ridiculous. The OP hasn't posted anything since the very beginning. He's simply sitting back eating his popcorn and having a grand old time. Let this thread die, as those that hate NCL will keep posting why they are the devil incarnate, and those that love NCL will keep pointing out that it really is buyer beware.

The OP putting in the bit about being a veteran is simply an incendiary measure, and has not basis for even being included in the post. I can understand his frustration, but to ridicule people who can not defend themselves is, at the least, very unsavory and without honor.

To argue these people should defend themselves on Cruise Critic is preposterous. For one, they would need to know they were being discussed on CC. How can one defend themselves without knowing they are being taken advantage of?

All I am saying is that there are truly more important things that we can be using our time for, than to continue to banter on and on about what the OP should have done or how shocked someone can be to pay more for something on a cruise ship than at Wal-Mart.

Finally, I know I will get flamed for this. I am actually a true first time poster. I've read CC for years without ever feeling the need to register or post. This one finally pushed me over the edge.....

I don't understand one more thing.....

The MSRP USED to be $87. Now it's $109.

The fact that the vendor had unsold inventory from when the MSRP was lower, doesn't mean they have to sell at that lower price now.

This is a very good point. When you buy gas and the price has gone up, do you think that the station sells all of the old gas at the lower price before increasing the price. Of course not. One reason is that when the price comes down, the station will lose money. So they make a bit more on the upswing, and lose a little on the down swing.

The store had every right to reprice old merchandise. We are talking about $22 here, and this is a reasonable increase in MSRP, that the store should be able to recover for the same reason as the gas station. I doubt that the store makes very much money, and to make them out to be the "bad guy" is kind of rediculous for $22.

If the store knowingly sold fake merchandise or salmonella tainted peanut butter, they would be a villan. If a few customers pay a few dollars extra when merchandise has been around through a price increase, I don't even think that the store's behavior is even below average.

The store, however, made a mistake in not removing the old tag. Had that been done, there would have been no issue.

wow, so many people go on vacation to shop????

I agree, I mean maybe little things to remember your trip by on one of the islands.

"Price gouging" is just a ugly way of saying capitalism. No price is too high if people are willing to spend it. If your uneducated about the true value or put your faith in a retailer thats your problem. People think Wal-Mart is a good deal, but 5% of thier products are cheap the rest can be had for a better deal if you look around.....its all about perception......

Nice pun. :) However, I'd suggest that the next time you are on ANY cruiseship, not just an NCL ship, that you keep a close WATCH on the prices. This issue is not exclusive to NCL.

Terry: I know what you mean about that ring you were talking about. Something that gorgeous sorts of makes you deaf when it comes to what they are saying doens't it? I still regret not buying an amazing platinum and opal bracelet in Belize. I was just afraid to do it cause I had no clue if they were pulling one over me or not. But I've never seen anything like it here in the states. I've even thought once or twice when booking cruises about making sure they stop in Belize so I have another shot at that bracelet! LOL

CG

So, speaking of watches...DH and I were in Nassau about a year and a half ago and I saw the most beautiful Rado watch! 44 diamonds on it..gorgeous! Needless to say, it was not one of the $10 specials or even the $109 specials.:rolleyes: Anyway...we didn't buy it. :(

My very wonderful DH found it online and gave it to me for Christmas!! AND, he found the very same watch for $500 less than it was in Nassau :D

This is ridiculous. The OP hasn't posted anything since the very beginning. He's simply sitting back eating his popcorn and having a grand old time. Let this thread die, as those that hate NCL will keep posting why they are the devil incarnate, and those that love NCL will keep pointing out that it really is buyer beware.

The OP putting in the bit about being a veteran is simply an incendiary measure, and has not basis for even being included in the post. I can understand his frustration, but to ridicule people who can not defend themselves is, at the least, very unsavory and without honor.

To argue these people should defend themselves on Cruise Critic is preposterous. For one, they would need to know they were being discussed on CC. How can one defend themselves without knowing they are being taken advantage of?

All I am saying is that there are truly more important things that we can be using our time for, than to continue to banter on and on about what the OP should have done or how shocked someone can be to pay more for something on a cruise ship than at Wal-Mart.

Finally, I know I will get flamed for this. I am actually a true first time poster. I've read CC for years without ever feeling the need to register or post. This one finally pushed me over the edge.....

So, just so you know...the fact that this is your first post...will totally discount your comment in many folks eyes! :rolleyes: Somehow, a first time poster has no right to an opinion here. :eek:

Ooops! Let the flames begin!!

This is a very good point. When you buy gas and the price has gone up, do you think that the station sells all of the old gas at the lower price before increasing the price. Of course not. One reason is that when the price comes down, the station will lose money. So they make a bit more on the upswing, and lose a little on the down swing.

The store had every right to reprice old merchandise. We are talking about $22 here, and this is a reasonable increase in MSRP, that the store should be able to recover for the same reason as the gas station. I doubt that the store makes very much money, and to make them out to be the "bad guy" is kind of rediculous for $22.

If the store knowingly sold fake merchandise or salmonella tainted peanut butter, they would be a villan. If a few customers pay a few dollars extra when merchandise has been around through a price increase, I don't even think that the store's behavior is even below average.

The store, however, made a mistake in not removing the old tag. Had that been done, there would have been no issue.

Well that sure doesn't make it the right thing to do!

Well that sure doesn't make it the right thing to do!

I understand how you feel as a consumer, but there is more to it than just the customer's view of "fairness" in pricing.

Have you ever run a business? It is difficult to make a profit, and for the sake of consumers, it is the responsibility of businesses to raise prices when they need to do it to stay in business. If ethical businesses never made more than a minimum gross profit on every item, they would go out of business because they need to cover their overhead. Then the only people left in business would be the unethical competitors that are truly out to cheat the consumers. So the gas station must make more profit when prices are rising so that when they go down, they don't go out of business.

In my humble opinion, that makes it the right thing to do.

Has anyone purchased the $10 handbags and shawls in the gift shop? They are not overpriced and make wonderful gifts! They also have really pretty costume jewelry for a very good price.:)

I love the $10 "pashminas" and earring-and-necklace costume jewelry sets. I constantly get compliments on the necklace I bought on my last cruise. People are amazed when they heard what I spent.

Supply and demand is fine. I bought a WII off ebay in order to get one for my son for Xmas... But you are on a ship, and can't go to 3 stores to compare prices, and if they SAY they are good deal while they have you as a captive audience, I just think that's different...

I don't ever believe anyone when they SAY something is a good deal. If I don't already know what something should cost and think the price they're quoting me is too high, then I don't pay it if I absolutely don't need the item or feel it's too high.

Simply because I'm captive on a ship doesn't mean that I should all rational thought of my own. I know never to trust someone when they SAY it's a good deal. If I can't do my own research to determine whether it's a good deal and I'm unhappy with the price, then I don't buy it.

And it's not like a Fossil watch is a rare specimen. I'm never forced to buy a Fossil watch while on vacation. I'll certainly be able to buy one at the mall when I get home, and CAN research to see if the prices are better.

Why should they have removed the tag? You just made a big point that the store is in their rights to charge what they want. I think $22 in quite inflated.

So it's OK to sell at the price you want, but just make sure you remove the MSRP tag? Outrageous. If it's such a legitimate practice, then why hide what you're doing?

Question: How would you feel if you were this gentleman who posted this thread? Would you just shrug your shoulders and say "oh well, $22 more seems reasonable enough?"

If you answer "yes, that's exactly what'd I say," then I will believe that you are truly a highly evolved shopper. :)

I would just like to say that I do not believe NCL has no responsibility just because the shops are a "tenant". This is my opinion because NCL has a shopping consultant on each ship and that NCL shopping consultant encourages you to shop at the ship's stores, tells you about the great deals, and often has events right in the stores. In addition, anything that someone has an issue with on the ship reflects on the ship and the line. NCL should care what its cruisers think about the shops and the spa and anything else that may technically be a "tenant".

Why should they have removed the tag? You just made a big point that the store is in their rights to charge what they want. I think $22 in quite inflated.

So it's OK to sell at the price you want, but just make sure you remove the MSRP tag? Outrageous. If it's such a legitimate practice, then why hide what you're doing?

Question: How would you feel if you were this gentleman who posted this thread? Would you just shrug your shoulders and say "oh well, $22 more seems reasonable enough?"

If you answer "yes, that's exactly what'd I say," then I will believe that you are truly a highly evolved shopper. :)

If I saw that the price was $109 and was happy with the price, then discovered a lower price underneath (this has happened to me at other stores, nont on a cruise), my reaction would be "too bad I didn't find this watch before the price went up". I already decided that $109 was a fair price, so I have no complaint. (I am not the first poster on this thread to make this comment.)

If I saw that the price was $109 and was happy with the price, then discovered a lower price underneath (this has happened to me at other stores, nont on a cruise), my reaction would be "too bad I didn't find this watch before the price went up". I already decided that $109 was a fair price, so I have no complaint. (I am not the first poster on this thread to make this comment.)

Casp ~ I apologize if you felt I singled you out. I can see how you'd think that, but it wasn't my intention. I actually think most here agree with you on this.

Maybe I should feel that I'd be the one to blame, and in most cases, I do accept personal responsibility. I guess I'm just sick and tired of always having to be "on the ball" in every freakin' thing in my life, otherwise I'll get duped.

Maybe I should be ashamed to say that I'd be ticked-off if I saw the MSRP being $22 cheaper than what I'd paid. I'd take the product back and get a refund, but aren't all sales on ships final? I'm asking because I can't remember their policy.

Anyway, no hard feelings. I guess I'm just not as evolved in my shopping skills. In my eyes, it's the "get them before they get you" motto. To me, that's just a stress I'd rather live without. But I know, sadly, that's just not case anymore.

In my eyes, it's the "get them before they get you" motto. To me, that's just a stress I'd rather live without. But I know, sadly, that's just not case anymore.

Honestly, has it ever been the case? Human nature being what it is, the history of man is littered with stories of scams and snake-oil salesmen. Today is really no different. (Sorry for being so cynical.) That's why "Caveat emptor" is in Latin (don't know if that's really the case but you get the point).

This is one of those many times to be educated on what you are buying/potentially buying. And it's common for most items to have more than one price - the value it has to you, the fair market value, and MSRP. Having worked in retail many moons ago, I developed a weird shopping attitude. If I was interested in an item, I determined it's worth to me specifically before I looked at the price tag. Many times, the dollar amount I assigned to the item was less than the tag. If the amounts were close, I determined how much I liked the item. There were few times that I was just absolutely in love with an item and I didn't care about the amount (as long as I could afford it, of course) as many people did in the case of the Mazda Miatas. Many times, I just waited for a sale (or a better sale) to get what I wanted.

Specifically about the Fossil watches - I looked at some on the Spirit last month. I have had my eye on one online and in shops, and very rarely do you find a good price on them. But because I've shopped them, I knew the prices were good on what I saw, I just didn't see the few I was interested in. Otherwise, I would have bought one.

Archived