Italian Holidays in April, May: What's Open?

Hi, I will be in Rome pre-cruise, and leaving for the ship on April 25, which is Liberation Day. Also, the ship will be in Ravenna, Italy on Labor Day, May 1. Has anyone been there for these holidays? Specifically wondering if getting to the ship will be difficult (ie- altered train schedules or large crowds in Rome) and will things be open to see on Labor Day? Thanks in advance, Jenny

Hi, I will be in Rome pre-cruise, and leaving for the ship on April 25, which is Liberation Day. Also, the ship will be in Ravenna, Italy on Labor Day, May 1. Has anyone been there for these holidays? Specifically wondering if getting to the ship will be difficult (ie- altered train schedules or large crowds in Rome) and will things be open to see on Labor Day? Thanks in advance, Jenny

Lots of places will be closed both days. On Labor Day, there are often rallies and demonstrations in Rome .. I do NOT know what is planned for this year. Trains will be on their holiday schedules.

Hi Jenny, Susie from our cruise. keep an eye on this page:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

Tells you about planned transport strikes in Italy.

The limitation of that page is that it usually only lists national strikes,. If you are traveling to Florence, you also want to know about Florentine and Tuscan job actions.

The only complete listing (I know of) is the one (in Italian only) produced by that wonderful exercise in futility, the Italian government:

http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

Archived