Purchasing Emeralds

Tweedy

If one was to purchase an emerald while visiting Cartagena, how do you know what to look for?

I know when buying silver in MX you should always look for the stamp of authenticity. I guess my concern is if I purchase an emerald and have it appraised when I get home only to find out it isn't worth the value I paid for it, I'd be a little upset.

Anyone have any tips?

Lee Miles, aka Mr. Emerald set up our tour and we had Claudia as our guide and she was FABULOUS!!! We shopped at Mr. Emerald's store and I found a beautiful 2 carat emerald set in 18 carat gold pendant for $1600, appraised higher! Good Luck! He's a VERY honest man! Tell him Nancie and Jim from Austin we said HI! Nancie

Nancie:

We are scheduled for a tour in five weeks with Lee and hope to shop at his emerald store after the tour. Did he have a VG variety of stones ?

Did you negotiate the final price ? What is the shape of your stone ?

Did you shop any other place for emaralds ?

UB

Nancie:

We are scheduled for a tour in five weeks with Lee and hope to shop at his emerald store after the tour. Did he have a VG variety of stones ?

Did you negotiate the final price ? What is the shape of your stone ?

Did you shop any other place for emaralds ?

UB

Hi, you will love you tour with Lee's guide, hope you have Claudia, she is AWESOME. You might tell him that's who you want. She is so knowledgeable and a very nice lady and speaks impeccable english! If you get her be sure and say hi for us! We ended our tour at the restaurant Olla Cartegena and it was VERY good. We tried the coconut shrimp and the rice that came with it was to DIE for. Share one entree because they are HUGE!! Lee has a very nice assortment of emeralds, from $100 to several thousand. If you pay cash you get a discount, and yes, we negotiated. His prices are so good that there really isn't a lot of room to however. Basically the cash speaks. My stone is square. We have shopped all over for emeralds, they are pretty much the same prices, HOWEVER, I trust Lee and I know I'm getting a good stone and good value. Hope this helps! Please let me know how our trip was! Bon Voyage. Nancie

Several years ago I purchased an emerald necklace and matching errings for DW at one of the jewelry retailers at the 'mall' in Boca Grande and remain very happy with it as an heirloom (I'm a bit sorry I didn't purchase the matching bracelet - but budgets are what they are...) It appraised considerably higher stateside than the pruchase price.

The higher end retailers basically offer higher quality stones for the dollar than you typically see stateside. The clarity and color of stones is simply much better generally. Emeralds are rarely/never flawless; its not in their nature chemically. But from a clarity standpoint, the murky nature of a lot of emeralds in the USA trade would simply not pass muster in Cartagena.

Additionally, do not focus solely on the stones. Colombian goldsmiths have a uniquely intricate filagree style of handwork (that reflects deep rooted local art and craft traditions) that one simply can't find in the machine molded settings that dominate the USA jewelry trade; combine that with superior stones and you've got the makings for a genuine heirloom souvenir.

Do some research online (get a loop) and visit some stateside jewelers so that you brush up on what you're looking at before you go.

P.S. when I purchased, I sort of hemmed and hawed - asked that the errings be thrown in for the price of the necklace (not), as I recollect I negotiated about a 25% discount on the total (pretty similar to US jewelers)

PPS. I wasn't familiar with Mr. Emerald but his postal address is Pereino Gallo Center... that is 'the mall' to which I referred...

Archived