Anything to do in Cozumel besides Paradise Beach?

Cruisebride2005

In scrolling down through a number posts about Paradise Beach, I am left wondering whether there is anything else worth seeing/doing in Cozumel besides Paradise Beach...

In all serousness, however, we will be in Cozumel from morning until midnight the day that we're there and while we might check out the beach for a few hours, it won't be the only thing that we do.

If you could do anything other than spend the day at Paradise Beach, what would it be?

If you're interested in history - go to see the ruins at San Gervasio - this site is right on the island - no need to ferry to the mainland. There aren't any big pyramids, but lots of interesting buildings and excavations.

Shopping is lots of fun in Cozumel - especially for silver, blankets, carvings - be prepared to bargain, though - most will quote a very high price at first.

Then there's eating and drinking! Many places to get good Mexican and Mayan food - and always beer and margaritas!

I'm sure if you read further on these boards, you'll see reviews of other excursions and "do it on your own" days.

Have fun! :D

DH & I have been to Cozumel 4 or 5 times now and will be back there again in a couple of weeks. We love to adventure through the areas behind the main shopping drag facing the piers - walking and looking, shopping at times and just sharing the area that surrounds us.

We always end up at Panchos Backyard, a retaurant located in a courtyard inside Los Cinco Soles. Shopping in Los Cincos is great, not a shop you bargain prices on but quality of goods is really upscale and prices are very reasonable -- and the quacamole and margarittas at Panchos are veeeery good! After two or three grand margarittas and we're feeling no pain, we just walk out the front door to the taxi stand across the street and tell the driver - take us back the ship.

Haven't missed a ship yet and have always arrived for the sail away party as happy, happy campers. :D

I was in Cosumel September 2003 and had a wonderful time on the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab Park/Beach. After the swim, did a little snorkling at Chankanaab Beach but . . . the rocks one has to tranverse to get in the water were pretty slippery. I'll be in Cosumel in April and plan to do the Dolphin Swim again (love those big friendly dolphins) and . . . the Sea Lion Swim . . . both at Chankanaab (they have some beautiful parrots which will sit on your shoulder and eat out of your hand). Cab fare was $10.00 each way. Have never been to Paradise Beach but it sure has been popular on the boards this time (don't remember reading about it prior to my 2003 cruise . . . but then I was looking for dolphins to play with <G>).

I was in Cosumel September 2003 and had a wonderful time on the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab Park/Beach. After the swim, did a little snorkling at Chankanaab Beach but . . . the rocks one has to tranverse to get in the water were pretty slippery. I'll be in Cosumel in April and plan to do the Dolphin Swim again (love those big friendly dolphins) and . . . the Sea Lion Swim . . . both at Chankanaab (they have some beautiful parrots which will sit on your shoulder and eat out of your hand). Cab fare was $10.00 each way. Have never been to Paradise Beach but it sure has been popular on the boards this time (don't remember reading about it prior to my 2003 cruise . . . but then I was looking for dolphins to play with <G>).

Do you recommend booking this through the cruise line or through a website. if you booked it through a website - which one?? Thanks!! :D

Cruisebride 2005...Theoritickly...theroit...therortikily.....in theory,:) there ARE other things to do in Cozumel besides PB, but why take the chance of being eaten by GIANT MUTANT IGUANAS that run rampant everywhere else!!!

But seriously folks...the other side of the island is beautiful, rent a car and circle the island, stop off here and there for lunch, photo ops, swimming and snorkeling(on the west side), beach combing (on the east side) etc. Don't forget to stop at Coconuts for a beverage and a great Kodak moment with a killer view of the coastline.

Have a great vacation!

Pumbaa, I never book through the ship . . . prices are a lot more expensive and tours a lot more crowded. I booked directly through Chankanaab Park. Don't have the web site but just type in Chankanaab Park into your search engine. Believe me . . . you'll have a ball there!!!

I also booked direct. Don't remember the web site addres. Just do a search for dolphin Discovery or the park by name. You get there:)

Swimming with the Dolphins with my youngest DD, 18, was the single best thing I have done todate on my six Cab. cruises.

Definitely book directly with Dolphin Discovery. Here is the link:

http://cozumelinsider.com/tours/index.html#DolphinDiscovery

The Dolphin Swim has been one of the highlights of my LIFE! I absolutely loved it. They have different activities available. The Swim is the one where you get the foot push, dorsal fin pull. Hope that helps!

Kim

We just got back from Cozumel and had a great day. We had to be back on ship at 4:00PM. Before leaving home we booked horseback tours thru Aventures Naturales at Ranchos Palmitas. 2 adults , 2 kids- $120.00, Make sure it's the Southernmost of the two Ranchos Palmitas. 8:30AM We rented a car. $40.00 a day, Then 9:00AM met the horses and guide, just our family and the guide rode thru the jungle trail, 10:00 Reached the Mayan caves, 10:30 Saw El Cedral, the first church on the island- a popular tourist site, small shops, photo-op,..., 12:00 made it back to our rent-a-car. Then we drove the East side of the island. I would recommend this to anybody that gets the chance. The panoramic vista was glorious. The endless waves crashing over the rocky crags, the spray of the sea shooting through the azure skies (or is that too hokey-sounding?) Anyway , found our way to Coconuts!, that place is great- "The salsa may be a little hot"- he says. Right. "Dos XX, por favore! Andalay!" They had excellent quesadillas and fajitas. And a bar Parrot.

Drove back into town- got a little lost because a hurricane tore out some of the main road-(Thank you for informing us, Enterprise Rent-a-car) and made it back to the ship with 10 minutes to spare. No problemo. A great day.

A hurricane didn´t tear up the main road, labourers did with picks, shovels and back-hoes. They started months ago and should be finished by High Season...which year, I dunno! They are burying the phone, cable, electric etc. lines to make the waterfront look more purty for y'all...but yes, they should have told you! Glad ya had a great day!

No doubt about it.....rent a car and go all around the island! You are so lucky to be there for so long. You have plenty of time to go to Paradise, Pancho's, shopping, the fantastic other side of the island and it's beautiful views, and everyplace in between. We have been to Coz 7 times and it is our favorite port. Just got back from spending a week there and can't wait to have a port stop there on our Christmas cruise. Feliz Navidad!

Just got back last week from Coz. I wouldn't rent a car there, they drive crazy (and I'm from NY!). We intended to go to PB, but unfortunately never made it because our excursion was mid-day. We went on the catamaran snorkel and beach. It was ALOT of fun. Well worth the money. Would do it again. Sorry I missed Tom though. I think the beach break we took was about 100 yards down from Tom though. Good luck.

Hey pharmerjenn! I was wondering where ya were, having put you down in my daytimer and all! Just wanted to mention that you were my 500th cruise critic mention in my daytimer and we had a HUGE celebration planned for you. Free food, drink, jet skis, parasail, banana boat and then we were gonna give you your own YACHT so you could come down and visit anytime you wanted!! Well, maybe next time! Glad you had a great vacation!!

(oh, forgot to mention that beach-side condo...) ;)

Oh Tom, you don't know how disappointed we were that we didn't make it to PB (even not knowing of all the supposed extras!). We had bragged to everyone at work that you had reserved us pina coladas (which I discovered on this cruise really are my favorite drink) and talked about it until everyone told us to stop. We even overheard people on board talking of you and PB before arriving in Coz! The catamaran was scheduled from 1-4 and brought us all the way back to the ship. There was no way we could have made it back to PB. We were extremely disappointed. The good news is, my friend Crystal and I have decided to leave the men and children at home again, and invite more friends, and sisters for another all female cruise! So, we will be back! We hope to be there next year. So put us down again and I promise not to disappoint again. In fact, put me down for a couple. Thanks Tom. Hey, I did look for you on the pier that morning, but didn't see ya. Take care.

Well I suppose if you're coming back next year...all is forgiven! (Ditching the men and bringing more girls along eases the sting as well!)

I haven't been at the pier lately 'cause our contract ran out. We'll sign another one soon and I'll be back!

See ya next year...maybe you'll be #1000!!!

Take in a round at Cozumel Mini Golf. It is a blast...set in a tropical setting with waterfalls/iguanas, full 18 holes. They give you a two-way radio so you can order drinks to be brought out to your hole. And great CD collection too! It is a nice way to spend some time here and is very inexpensive.

Put us down in your day timer!!! We'll be there when the Grandeur of the Seas drops anchor. We leave NOLA Dec 4, 2004 and I'm looking forward to Paradise Beach being my favorite day on the cruise:) . There are fourteen family members with me.

See you there!

If you are the adventuresome type, rent a car, order a cozumel map from cancunmap.com and go on a do-it-yourself tour like the one suggested on cozumelinsider.com.

http://cozumelinsider.com/tours/islandtour.html

http://cozumelinsider.com/beaches/snorkeltour.htm

If you are not comfortable doing that, contact a local guide like Adrian who will drive you around and show you the highlights.

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/sub/activities-pips.asp

We love the wild east/windward side- Chen Rio and Coconuts. We also enjoy Nachi-Cocom Beach to hang out and D'zul Ha to snorkel.

Whatever you do, you will have a great time. Just don't try to do it all in one day.

Archived