bow or aft cabin...wind

gmasters

we have booked a forward cabin on the sun deck 1001, but know have thought about wind..and yes we know it will be windy...but

we have sailed aft cabins a couple times and this time the offer to move forward was somthing we want to to try or not

we have been top side, as always during every cruise and we know the wind acn be very strong, but does the air flow up or just right thru room..

we will move back aft if replies are so bad

Donna

love NCL

My wife and I just returned from the Norwegian Jade and had cabin 9502. It is a forward cat AC cabin. While the cabin was wonderful and a nice size the balcony was unusable most of the time. It is not advised to use the balcony while the ship is at sea but you can if you want. Depending on the wind direction the level of wind varied from gale force to light breeze.

The balcony door is a water tight steel door that is very heavy to open and close.

My wife and I commented a couple of times during the cruise that next time we will book an aft cabin or side view.

Take care,

Mike

I have never had a forward-facing cabin, but have heard the doors to the balcony area are very, very heavy and difficult to open--some special seal for water control. :confused: Not to be confused with a regular balcony in the forward area of the ship.

I have also heard that you cannot use the balcony while underway. :eek:

I hope someone who has stayed forward will respond, because I'm curious too.

We were in an AA suite, which has both a forward and side balcony. The feel was relative to the force and direction of the wind. One day, we were traveling with the wind from the stern of the ship, and the feel was breezy. Another day the ship was heading into the wind, and it was truly hard to stand up. The side balcony got way more usage. We had fair weather, so rain wasn't a problem, but the front would have been useless in the rain. Had an aft suite in the rain, and it was dry.

Al

Just returned from cruise on the Sun around Cape Horn. Has a midship/aft cabin with balcony and loved it. We used it every day and rarely had wind problems. My sister had a midship cabin and enjoyed as well.

Deck 8.

Some people complained about forward cabins and the noise when setting anchors. I will always choose an mid/aft cabin from now on. Two rooms past midship.

My wife and I just returned from the Norwegian Jade and had cabin 9502. It is a forward cat AC cabin. While the cabin was wonderful and a nice size the balcony was unusable most of the time. It is not advised to use the balcony while the ship is at sea but you can if you want. Depending on the wind direction the level of wind varied from gale force to light breeze.

The balcony door is a water tight steel door that is very heavy to open and close.

Mike is right, the balcony is unusable most of the time. Not only is it not advised, they tell you right on the door that the sea door "must be kept closed" whilst the ship is at sea. (indicating they may not even want you on the balcony at all) Moreover, at night, you're supposed to keep your curtains closed because of the glare the light causes on the bridge which is right above you.

My other half Liane says, "So you go from having a Balcony, to an oceanview while at sea, to an inside cabin at night...."

I hope this helps you decide...

JWK: Longing to Whatever in ANY cabin

We had stateroom 1202. A couple down from yours. Our balcony was usable 8 of 11 days. The only time it was windy was on the open sea. We really did enjoy ours. Only problem I had was one the last day I almost got sick because the front of the ship rocks a lot more in rough seas. It was only bad on the last day. The ship was at top speed heading back.

The balcony had 2 lounge chairs and 2 regular chairs.

BalconyView.jpg?t=1234213275

LawnChairs.jpg?t=1234213339

Archived