What to do in Tortola?

Ima Floater

We are leaving on Feb 20 on NCLS' Jewel to the Southern Caribbean stoping at Tortola and are wondering about what to do at this port. I thought this was a great shopping destination, but have read otherwise. We have scheduled excursions at the other ports;

Samana

Catamaran Sail & Beach Escape

Antigua

Antigua Beach Escape

Barbados

Aerial Trek Zip Line

St. Lucia

Caribbean Pirates Extravaganza

Should we look for something at Tortola, and shop at some other ports?

I suggest that you check the Cruise Critic ports of call board.

Here is a link to the Tortola forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290

I can recommend Brewer's Bay over Cane Garden Bay... and for peace and quiet and a fine meal, check out Pusser's Marina Cay

http://www.pussers.com/outposts/marina_cay

We took an excursion through NCL to the Baths and had a wonderful time!

It was amazing. You have to board a ferry to go over to Virgin Gorda. When you get there, there were 2 beach areas. One smaller one that is in between the boulders. And on the other side of the boulder formations, a larger beach area.

You can explore the boulder formations or just relax. We brought our 3 children, 2 tweens and a 3 year old. There is a small food stand, which I have to say made the BEST pina coladas that we have ever had!

I can't wait to go back!!!

I'm with the others! If you haven't done Virgin Gorda you should. It is beautiful. It was a little difficult for me to get down all the steps and I couldn't go very far into the caves, yet it was still well worth it!:D

The Pirate's trip in St Lucia is SO MUCH FUN!! It rates right up at the top for me!

We did stop in Tortola & did not do the Baths. We walked around town. Apparently every other day or so is a national holiday and all shops are closed (as it was when we were there.) Didn't look like there were many stores anyway. There was a small outside market selling items from China. A lot of chickens running around loose, if you want to take some chicken pictures. If the excursions don't appeal to you, just stay on the ship.

We went ashore without plans of any kind and ended up boarding an open-air taxi and taking a island tour for $20.00. The driver was very knowledgeable and friendly. Towards the end of the tour you have the option to get dropped off for an hour at Cane Garden Bay (which was beautiful and a lot of fun) or get taken back to the shops near the ship.

If you're not into a tour but want to check out a beach, Cane Garden Bay was gorgeous and Brewsters Bay also gets quite a few recommendations. $6.00 for the taxi each way to Cane Garden.

Tortolla is not a shopping port, but I wouldn't stay on the ship, either. The baths are fantastic and if you get off of the beaten path, you can find some nice shops w/ locally made items in town, too. There is a pretty harbor with a couple of outdoor bars not far out of the way. Just look for the sailboat masts.

We were supposed to do the NCL Cane Garden Bay tour this last trip but it was cancelled. I'd read that Cane Bay is absolutely beautiful; one of the world's best beaches. It was very disappointing that it was cancelled. We never did hear why.

If you don't do the Baths then you must go to Cane Garden beach.....it is absolutely beautiful. We were just there in April and it was the prettiest beach we visited on our cruise.

I agree that Cane Garden Bay is a beautiful beach but the last time we took an excursion there, the rest rooms were in deplorable condition. Perhaps that has changed recently. In addition, the bus ride there is not for the queasy.

We would not think of going to Tortola and not going to Virgin Gorda and the Baths.

I strongly feel the best way to get to the Baths is the snorkeling excursion where you swim ashore from a boat. The alternative, bus, ferry, bus and long walk down a difficult trail leaves too liittle time at the Baths.

I strongly feel the best way to get to the Baths is the snorkeling excursion where you swim ashore from a boat. The alternative, bus, ferry, bus and long walk down a difficult trail leaves too liittle time at the Baths.

I saw this excursion listed on the NCL website and it looked really good. Not that expensive either comparing what it cost to ferry to the Baths. Do you have enough time to explore the Bath's? Also, is there any snorkling there? If so, any good?

The last time I was in Tortola I spent my time looking around the port and shopping a little, and then went into this little pub to have a drink. They offered a rum drink in different levels of strength numbered from 1 to 10 I believe. I ordered a 5 and could barely move off the barstool by the time I finished it. Needless to say, that's about all I remember about Tortola! :D

CG

I would agree with that, unless you have expensive camera equipment and would like to take pictures of the baths. The bus tour through NCL is kind of late in the day (11:15), so going on your own should allow you a lot more time on the beach.

If you like fried chicken, you will LOVE a restaurant not too far from the ship in a hotel right on the water called Maria's by the Sea. I don't remember the hotel name, but it was right by the government building. We went there for a late lunch after the island tour and my husband SWEARS it was the best fried chicken he has ever had and he LOVES fried chicken. It was made with honey and it was pretty fabulous. He still drools at the memory of it and wants to go back there just to eat that chicken again!

I agree that Cane Garden Bay is a beautiful beach but the last time we took an excursion there, the rest rooms were in deplorable condition. Perhaps that has changed recently. In addition, the bus ride there is not for the queasy.

The restrooms were STILL deplorable, even from a guy's point of view. :) I was sorry I walked in there barefoot and after using the "facility" made a bee-line for the water to clean my feet.

Please explain "bus ride is not for the queasy". I don't get motion sick but I am DEATHLY afraid of heights. Took a tour in Alaska last year that was nearly my undoing.:eek: Narrow golf cart paths, steep inclines, followed by deep declines. Is that what you mean?

In April the washrooms were very clean and in great shape.....maybe just went through some repair work?. The trip from the ship to Cane Garden Bay was about a half hour, you go in big open air vans with bench seats, the road is very steep in places with sharp corners but these drivers do it many times a day and I don't remember if there were drop offs by roadside, I just remember lots of foliage. It really is a lovely beach worth seeing and enjoying. Have a great time with what ever you chose to do.:)

Thanks, Cougar. It sounds like it might scare me alot, especially if there are drop-offs on the sides. It also sounds beautiful. It sounds like I should pull out the "fear of flying" meds, take one, and go for it. I just hope they wouldn't cancel it like they did the last time.

Hey, I did the Amalfi coast in 2006 with a little help from my friends. And that was something. Didn't have the little pills on me in Alaska though.

Thanks, Cougar. It sounds like it might scare me alot, especially if there are drop-offs on the sides. It also sounds beautiful. It sounds like I should pull out the "fear of flying" meds, take one, and go for it. I just hope they wouldn't cancel it like they did the last time.

Hey, I did the Amalfi coast in 2006 with a little help from my friends. And that was something. Didn't have the little pills on me in Alaska though.

No need to fear "drop offs" whatsoever, mostly swerving and slowing down, speeding up, to avoid pot holes or oncoming traffic. Sometimes our driver would be passing parked vehicles and have only a couple inches clearance on the side of his vehicle. They definately know their limits as they do this so many times a week. There are some beautiful views in which case he will sometimes pull over for photo ops but no sheer cliffs to worry about.

Loved Tortola, went to Baths at Virgin Gorda (highly recommended, went on Snorkel and Baths excursion thru NCL). They say you must be a strong swimmer and be able to swim 100-300yards. That wasn't the hard part. The hard part was climbing through the rocks on the tour (no shoes, carrying own snorkel equipment). You can skip this part by going ahead to the 2nd beach, just ask the guide. You do need to be a good swimmer to keep from being tossed into the boulders!

If you want to shop, find the Sunny Caribe spice store (recommended by NCL and on the shopping map they will give you). Go out thru the back gate, there are some neat shops.

Have fun!

PS-the people who did the pub crawl on our ship got sick.......and I don't think it was just from the rum....

Archived