Botox injections onboard?

suzyed

Add this to my list of things I just do not get.

* Having medical procedure done while in the middle of the ocean

* Having teeth whitening done while at sea - dangers, limited eating afterwards?

Just me, but I just don't get some of this stuff.

I'll comment for the heck of it. When I was still working, I'd try to get as many things done on vacation that I would have a hard time doing while on the 9 to 5 office routine. Sounds crazy, but I'd have my oil changed and tires rotated while I shopped in Hilton Head! I was taking advantage of having time and no pressure to do even errands.

Likewise, on a cruise, where time sort of stands still (like retirement where every day is Saturday and you no longer wear a watch for the most part) you may decide to do something that you would not take the time to do at home because it would take so much scheduling to do so.

I had my teeth whitened on Celebrity Mercury last Labor Day and am very glad I did. My 50th high school reunion was a month after we got home, and I was pleased with the results. No pain, no nothing, just white teeth 7th shades lighter than when I went in. I was not restricted in my eating. She only said to remember that anything that would stain your tee shirt if it splashed on it would also stain your teeth.

I tried acupuncture on Mercury, as well, and was very pleased. No rush. Plenty of time to discuss conditions. I did acupuncture again on NCL Dawn, too. Had a massage on the beach in Samana' Dominican Republic.

I'm trying to tell you guys that I take risks.

But Botox? I don't think so. Do you guys know Botox is poison? And even under a board certified dermatologist in his own office near the hospital, disfigurements occur. Like others have said, if you had an adverse reaction, there you would be out in the middle of the ocean. Please just be sure you have good travel insurance that covers repatriation if you decide to do it!

I've never done it. Is it like with dying your hair where you do a strand test and wait two days to see if you have a reaction? Do they stick you in a spot where the sun don't shine to test it before they actually do it?

Parrothead, are you still with this discussion. Tell us what they did to find out if you might be prone to react. Thanks, Mary.

Edited by flashdog_1

• 6 years later...

I know this thread is old, but I believe the doses they use for cosmetic purposes are so low, that the safety record is better than antibiotics! Personally, I would do it beforehand, not while on the ship - because yes, you could get headaches, dizziness, etc.

I know I've posted in similar threads before, but this type of stuff on a administered on a cruise ship is a terrible idea. The regulations that allow most practitioners to inject are so loose that in some states even a nurse can do it. DMD, DO's, DMD's, are all licensed in the US to do it, but that doesn't mean they should. Then being on a non-US registered ship, I honestly don't know who's regulations take precedent. If you're wanting to look 'fresh' on your cruise, you would need injected at least a week, if not two weeks, prior to sailing to see the full results anyway. The side effects are minor for most people, but the risks outweigh the benefits when you're floating in the middle of the Caribbean. I'll step down from my soap box now :eek:

A medical procedure done on a ship? You people are nuts. I'm going way out on a limb but I think any of the doctors or nurses on a cruise ship are NOT going to be the cream of the crop LOL

Edited by Laszlo

I learned that lesson the HARD WAY :eek: Got it to show off on my 1st Windjammer Cruise in '92. The salt water and sand infected it. OUCH!

My sister let her 16 year old get a tattoo while they were in Mexico....so don't even get me started on that!! Bad enough she let her 16 year old get one...but in MEXICO??? It's one of those on the lower back and it is noticeably off center! :eek: