It's easier to do business with the DMV

Greengo

I disagree with you ... as HAL did offer a variety of alternate cruises, all of which were declined by the OP. I would suppose that HAL would have been more helpful with airline/Orbitz change fees had the OP booked another cruise, perhaps any cruise within a several-month sailing window had the OP pursued additional cruise options.
The OP did not book any cruise within a several month window. They booked a specific cruise. HAL isn't able to deliver this cruise. The OP should not be of of pocket due to this.

The OP did not book any cruise within a several month window. They booked a specific cruise. HAL isn't able to deliver this cruise. The OP should not be of of pocket due to this.

Don't understand why are you completely discounting HAL's "Contract of Passage".. In every brochure & ticket the contract is clearly stated.. section 5 refers to "Change in Itinerary/Cancellations" which I'm paraphrasing

"Although we will use our best efforts to provide you with the cruise, (etc etc.) situations may occur which require that changes be made..By way of example we may adjust itineraries & schedules, delay departures, arrivals or cancel a Cruise..etc etc..Finally we reserve the right to provide you with alternative transportation etc. etc.."

HAL offered the Psgrs alternative transportation & is not under any obligation to pay for out of pocket expenses on air, hotels, land etc. which was booked independently & not through HAL..

That's the reason passengers are urged to purchase travel insurance by their TA's &/or the Service Provider & include air, cruise hotels etc in the insurance..

Betty

MaryEllen:

In the past couple of years, I've gone on four cruises. The first was unquestionably a mass market one. The second was on a more expensive line and a decidedly superior experience to the first one. The third was on an unquestionably mass market line. The fourth was on an HAL ship. It was a decidedly superior experience to the two mass market ones and a little more expensive than they were, but not much. You are certainly free to lump them all together if you wish, but they seem to me to be enough different that I no longer book mass market lines.

Archived