Knowledgeable cruisers advice/suggestions wanted:

Tess2mommies

*I will post this on multiple boards, please excuse the duplicate post*

My name is Malaisha (Malaysia) and I am booked on the Dec 19, 2004 Golden Princess Southern Caribbean Explorer.

My partner and I booked online through cruise direct and booked a category FF stateroom. That particular category was advertised at partial obstruction, which we were happy with.

We recently received out 2005 princess brochure and realized that FF was a full obstruction. I called princess to confirm this and they said it was indeed a full obstruction.

Had cruise direct informed us of this, we would have booked a higher category, that was mid ship, or possibly even deal with category E in the aft and hope that I didn't get sick.

Nonetheless, I called cruise direct and informed them that my category is a full obstruction and not a partial as they previously stated, they called and confirmed this.

They said they would work on something and get back to me... I called the next day, dealt with a rude agent, not important though. She said she put me in the computer with princess for a complimentary upgrade, but their isn't a lot of availability on this cruise. Today I talked to the lady, she mentioned she put me in the system for a complimentary upgrade and that was pretty much the end of it.

She didn't offer me any ship board credit, she didn't even try to upgrade me to a better cabin. :mad: They had category D available this morning, as well as E and EE when I first contacted them about this issue. In my opinion they could've easily given me a better room, since it was their mistake. Because as I said, if they had mentioned it was a full obstruction, We would have paid for a better room. But, she said it was too expensive to put me in a different from and if I wanted to upgrade I would have to pay an extra $500 per person for a D stateroom. That's not even a balcony and the only D's available is on the plaza deck next to the pool, no way will I pay that, and it's their fault!

The lady then mentioned they would be launching a promotion soon, for a 3 day cruise, and she could offer me that. Not sure if she meant discount or free, whatever the case, I was too fed up to really listen and informed her I would get back to her. I don't want some 3 day cruise anyway, I would have to fly from San Francisco to Florida and for 3 days in my opinion, that is not worth it.

This is my first cruise and I'm very disappointed on the way things are getting worked out. I dealt with the PC dining, when they said I was getting traditional but to get a full obstruction when I was under the impression I was getting a partial, just ticks me off. The difference may not be big to you, but to me that is significant.

I know a cabin can't break a cruise (or so I've heard) but it can definitely make one!

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me to deal with the situation? Would me calling princess direct help me at all? I look forward to your tips.

Malaisha, you unfortunately are in a tough spot. First, you are not dealing with an agency that provides full service. Their statement that they put you in for a compimentary upgrade is very hollow - that's the default status for any booking. Caveat emptor. Princess will not deal with you directly as it is their policy to work through agents unless a direct booking has been made.

It's going to sound like bad advice, but at this point you should try to put your troubles behind you and start looking forward to your cruise. None of what has happened is Princess' fault. I think the agency in question told you what you wanted to hear to make a sale - that's how their agents make money.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me to deal with the situation?

I suggest that you post about your experience on a very busy internet cruise discussion board where countless potential customers will see it and will use your information in making cruise-booking decisions of their own. :)

To try to make lemonade from the lemons…did they tell you HOW obstructed the view is? What is the difference between fully and partially obstructed? I was in a fully obstructed view room on Sun Princess and actually half the window was covered by lifeboat – the other half was clear. It might not be as bad as it is sounding. Also, is there a chance of upgrade with this cabin purchase? You might get an upgrade.

I’m with ‘rob – unfortunately, otherwise, you’re somewhat stuck. But many find they don’t spend a heck of a lot of time in their cabin and you’ll find that being out on deck in the sea air a wonderful experience as an alternative.

This sounds like a pretty clear-cut case of false advertising to me. The agency told you that you were purchasing a partially obstructed cabin, and they actually sold you a fully obstructed cabin. If it would make you feel better, you could try filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or the state Attorney General's office, they often take consumer complaints about businesses and false advertising. Even if they can't do anything for you between now and when you sail (which they probably can't), at least then other people would know that the agent isn't honest. You could also try playing hardball with the travel agent: you could tell the travel agent you're going to file a complaint of fraud or false advertising with the AG's office and the BBB unless they get you into at least the level of cabin that they said you'd be in. But spongerob is right, Princess isn't at fault here and so I doubt they'll do anything to help you. You're going to have to wrangle this one out with the travel agent, or just try to make the best of your vacation in spite of this. If you're still mad when you get back from your cruise, you can probably file the complaint then, too.

The experience will far outweight the cabin so in this case,go and enjoy your cruise and don't worry.On your first cruise,you'll spend far more time out of your cabin than in so the obstruction will be a non-factor.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but believe me,it won't matter much once you're at sea with drink in hand.

I just finished my first cruise on Caribbean Princess. I would tend to agree with what has been posted. I had a balcony and loved it. But I think if it were just the difference in obstructed or not, I wouldn't worry about it. I am just happy my TA wasn't like yours.

Can't you just can transfer you booking to another agent that can give you a better deal with you sailing? If you can transfer an open booking from Princess to an agent after you have decided on what cruise you want to take, would that not be somewhat the same in your situation?

It would help if you could tell us which cabin number it is. It could be between life boats and will not have much of an obstruction at all.

The only suggestion I could make is to change to a gty booking and HOPE that you get an upgrade to an E category or higher. This is exactly what I did as we were also booked in an FF cat. and were told it was a partial, when I found it was completely obstructed I transferred to a gty booking and they gave us an E cat. cabin so it does work. You could still end up with an FF but that is a risk you would have to take.

the only D's available is on the plaza deck next to the pool...

When did they put a pool on the Plaza deck of the Golden..??

Your cruise has five port days and only one sea day... you won't spend much time in your cabin anyway! Go and enjoy. :cool:

Kim

I'm sorry I meant the Aloha deck - terrace pool, D is right next to it. Doesn't matter anyway, as it sold out!

They won't even switch us to an FF gty! Otherwise I'd probably take the risk, can't get any worse in the FF category. I'm in room E521 right dab in the middle of a life boat.

Nonetheless, the agent emailed me and offered us this. Not sure if we will accept this because anyone booking a cruise after Dec 31, 2004 can get this free offer, so it's not really much of a deal, just a promo, we rather get a better cabin, won't happen, pretty close to accepting this. Shipboard credit, can work with this, as we have 7 excursions booked, it can help with the fees, and I can get lots of girlie drinks, my partner want's a partial refund, probably won't get that either.

But we are keeping our fingers crossed

Overview:

2 nights, 3 days of pure relaxation in the location of your choice. . .for free?? Is this too good to be true? At CruiseDirect, it's not! As a token of our appreciation. We are currently offering incredible, free getaway packages to over 21 popular destinations within the U.S, including Honolulu and St. Thomas.

So what's the catch? THERE IS NONE. After you've booked your sail date, you will receive a CruiseDirect Getaway Certificate redeemable for the vacation of your choice. That's it! Straightforward, flexible, hassle-free. Just goes to prove the old adage wrong: sometimes you CAN get something for nothing.

Menu:

All About Your Getaway | Locations | Terms & Conditions

ALL ABOUT YOUR GETAWAYWhere will I be staying?

Your CruiseDirect Getaway certificate offers standard hotel accommodations at contracted destination area hotels that have been rated 3 stars by Mobil or 3 diamonds by AAA (or higher). When you call to request your dates of travel, a travel professional will discuss what hotels are available for the dates requested to your desired destination. If there is a preference, please advise the travel professional and they will do their best to honor the request. The properties are not Fairfield Resort properties.

Does my certificate cover all travel expenses?

The certificate is for hotel accommodations only and does not include transportation, airfare, room taxes, meals and other miscellaneous expenses. Your certificate is non-transferable.

Does the certificate expire?

You have up to twelve months from the activation date or December 20, 2005, whichever comes first, to use the getaway certificate.

Will I receive a confirmation?

Once you have activated your vacation certificate a written confirmation will be mailed to you within 3 business days. Then, once the travel dates have been requested and confirmed a written itinerary will be mailed out within 3 business days. Please allow for mail time.

Can I cancel my reservation?

You can cancel your reservation, but written notice of cancellation or changes to an active reservation must be received at least 8 days prior to your scheduled arrival date. Failure to cancel or reschedule at least 8 days prior to arrival will result in forfeiture of your certificate and deposit.

LOCATIONSChoose from over 21 popular destinations within the U.S., including Honolulu and St. Thomas!

• Orlando, FL
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Destin, FL
  • Williamsburg, VA
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Cumberland Mountains, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
  • Branson, MO
  • Anaheim, CA
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
  • Pagosa Springs, CO
  • Durango, CO
  • St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
  • Honolulu, HI
  • Sedona, AZ
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Reno, NV
  • Lake Tahoe, NV
  • New Orleans, LA

TERMS AND CONDITIONS1. Lodging This CruiseDirect Getaway Certificate entitles the recipient to two nights of accommodations in a standard hotel room at one of the locations described, subject to availability and certain restrictions listed. Accommodations are for two adults 21 years of age or older and up to two children under age 18. No pets. This Certificate is non-transferable and may only be used by the original recipient. Destin and Myrtle Beach destinations are not available during June, July and August.

2. Retail Value The approximate retail value of the accommodations is $110 to $674 depending on the location, hotel availability and time of year traveled.

3. Expiration DateThe certificate must be activated within 45 days of issue date. Your activated certificate will be valid for 12 months from Activation Date or not later than December 20, 2005, whichever comes sooner. Travel must be completed before expiration date.

4. Incidental ChargesThis certificate is for hotel accommodations only and does not include transportation, airfare, room taxes ($3-$17 per night), meals and any other miscellaneous expenses. Upon check-in, hotels will require an imprint of a major credit card to cover such expenses.

5. CancellationsWritten notice of cancellation or changes to an active reservation must be received at least 8 days prior to your arrival date. Failure to cancel or reschedule at least 8 days prior to arrival or simply not showing will result in forfeiture of your certificate.

6. Usage Limitations You may not use this certificate in conjunction with any other promotional program. Only one certificate per household per year may be used. Not intended for conventions or group travel.

7. Liability LimitationsThe company will arrange hotel accommodations, acting only as an agent for hotels, and will not assume any responsibility for loss, delay, accident, injury or damage to persons, property any liability whatsoever arising from or in conjunction with services provided.

8. This certificate is intended for promotional use only by the issuer and cannot be sold to the recipient. 9. State Disclosures: This offer is not valid where restricted or prohibited by law.

Can I cancel my reservation?

You can cancel your reservation, but written notice of cancellation or changes to an active reservation must be received at least 8 days prior to your scheduled arrival date. Failure to cancel or reschedule at least 8 days prior to arrival will result in forfeiture of your certificate and deposit.

Deposit??

If you are not happy with your cabin, get to the pier early and try to upgrade there. My daughter did this and was given a handicap cabin that was open. It was huge with a great balcony. Sometimes you can even upgrade after boarding when last minute cancellations have been made. Whatever, enjoy your cruise!

Mary,

Sorry couldn't tell you anything about the deposit of the so called free room. I haven't yet accepted the so called free deal, it's not really special if the general public can get it just for booking a princess cruise. Nonetheless, i'll keep you update if I find out more about the free "deposit"

I was on the Golden last year. I'm sure all cabins are spectacular. The truth

of the matter is nobody spends a great deal of time in their cabins UNLESS they have a balcony. And it's nice to at least have natural sunlight coming in on some level. And even if a couple do spend a lot of time in their cabin then

usually the drapes are drawn anyway and who cares about the view!

Shoot, usually we book a balcony and this time we booked a GG guarantee

and so far have been upgraded to an FF, so I'm actually looking forward to

my obstructed view cabin. I mean, if your cabin was spacious and all you might spend more time in it, but seriously, I can't imagine anyone spending that much time inside unless they've fallen ill or something.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I agree with many of the others -- Princess is not to blame, the TA is. I would also run away from that offer. It's not free if it requires a deposit, and you still have to pay for "transportation, airfare, room taxes, meals and other miscellaneous expenses."

Regarding the obstructed view cabins, we've had several of these (although not on this ship) and it really wasn't that bad. You should still get plenty of light, even if a lifeboat is directly in front.

If you redeem this certificate, your TA is paid a commission. But, for $39, you could become a distributor yourself, and if you can convince your TA to use one of the certificates *you* give *her* (what are the odds?) *you* can get the commission! LOL!

http://www.freehotelcertificates.com/

More....

http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/commonreport.html?bid=6139620

http://www.vacationincentiveprogram.com/vacation/back3554.pdf

http://www.vacationincentiveprogram.com/vacation/front3554.pdf

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=444

I was on the Golden last year. I'm sure all cabins are spectacular. The truth of the matter is nobody spends a great deal of time in their cabins UNLESS they have a balcony. And it's nice to at least have natural sunlight coming in on some level. And even if a couple do spend a lot of time in their cabin then usually the drapes are drawn anyway and who cares about the view!
We too, exactly one year ago today, sailed on the Golden. She is such a beautiful ship that as long as you have some sunlight I would not worry a whole bunch.

Unless you are honeymooners, you will not be spended much time in your cabin. We had a mini-suite and I cannot what a complete waste of money it was for us. We barely used the balcony because daytimes were spent by one of the many pools and evenings were spent eating or sleeping :D so we could get up and do it all over again the next day!

Go and enjoy!

Ok well first of all if any movement is going to take place in your cabin it will have to be really soon. I am surprised that sailing is not completely sold out yet.

The issue is, as you have identified, with the travel agency and they are the ones that are going to have to fix it if anyone is. That category, with obstructed views, has few with a good view and a lot with bad views. The chances of getting one of the cabins with a good view, at this point, are not good. What they are telling you about having to pay more is correct as far as how much it would cost to upgrade to another category. What's wrong about that is that they did not execute your order correctly and should be held accountable for it. Do you have anything in writing indicating that your original purchase with them was for a specific cabin that had a view? If so then they need to get you in that cabin (unlikely) or offer you compensation of some sort.

The ONE good thing that they have done is put you in for a complementary upgrade. Normally this is no big deal and everyone can be in that situation. It's a matter of your travel professional putting you on the list or not at the time of your original booking. They probably did NOT put you on that list originally because they wanted you to have that specific cabin that, while in an obstructed view category, was one of the few that had a decent view.

Now that they see they messed up they are putting you in that category hoping you'll get an upgrade but the chances of you going from an FF to a category with a view are not so great.

If it were me I would be on the phone to Princess right now telling them your story and making a case with them to be merciful on you and bump you up on the upgrade list if there in fact even is a list to speak of. Holiday sailings, especially on a popular ship like the Golden, are usually sold out by now. We're on the Caribbean Princess' 12/18/04 sailing and it's been sold out for months.

If you call them remember this is NOT the cruise lines fault. You need to be sure they know you do not blame them but are asking (personally I would beg) for them to do you a favor. Keep telling them that it is your first cruise, that you really thought you had a different cabin and, most importantly, that your travel professional dropped the ball and is a lousy agent for them.

If all fails and you are in a totally obstructed view all is not lost because you DO have a window and can see outside as in if it's raining or sunny which is better than nothing.

So, here's what I would do if I were in your position:

First, call the travel agency and ask them what they are going to do for you. They need to do something for you. By all rights, if they want to keep your business and do not want you telling all your friends that they are lousy they need to get you into a cabin with a view or give you a pile of cash.

Next, call Princess and throw yourself at their mercy. They are nice people there that want you to have a fabulous cruise and will do everything that they can to be sure you do

Come back and let us know how it worked out ok? And if you have other questions come back here too, we have answers for you

(Also, I posted this on the other board you asked this question of too)

Oh and one other thing I forgot to mention...

You say "...I dealt with the PC dining, when they said I was getting traditional but to get a full obstruction..."

...unless you've got it backwards you're in good shape on that one. If you are in traditional dining (which I would suggest for sure on your first cruise) you can switch to PC easy. There's still time for your travel professional to make the switch or you can do it when you get on board.

Actually, if it were me I'd wait and not give your travel professional another chance to drop the ball.

Host Chris,

I did call Cruisedirect back and attempted to get someone else in Customer relations or management. That same rude agent answers the phone, I found out that she is one of the customer relations people but I did get the name of someone else, who is out of the office today, so I will call tomorrow, after work or at work, whatever. It is impossible to speak to management until you go though the rude agent or the new one.

Wish me luck!

Well, I called another agent and this was transferred to the other customer relations person, she said she offered me the hotel certificate and the also put me in the system for an upgrade if one comes available. I told the woman that the hotel certificate was not useful to me as I was not flying to any of those cities in the next 12 months (although I might be able to use it for a precruise), i said I did not want to be forced to pay some deposit and taxes on something I didn't even want. I went on to say that the whole issue could have been resolved the first day I called with the true partial obstruction room was available, she said they don't upgrade for their mistakes! I said we need to get something other than some hotel promotion that you are going to give to thousands of other people anyway, shipboard credit, some type of partial refund, not a lot but something (not that i said that part to her). She said since it was princess's fault that she would call princess in the morning.

I'll keep you updated!!!

She went on to say that the reason why the advertised my room at partial and not full was because Princess told them it was a partial obstruction. (Which I highly doubt)

I then got off the phone and called Princess, I got a really nice person on the phone that was willing to look into things. He said that my agent booked the cruise through their website and it stated it was a full obstruction, and there is no way my agent could have thought it said partial. He looked for a way for me to transfer my booking this late in the game and said he would get back to me on that. He then apologized for the situation and said he hoped it didn't make me dislike princess. I told him it didn't and that I planned on booking 2 cruises in 2005 and he said I should take advantage of the onboard booking but make sure I book open booking because otherwise the booking will go to my travel agent.

He said that I should talk to management at cruise direct and I said I was having trouble getting to management, he recommended that I file a formal complaint and he was very sorry about what happened.

I think you've done just what you needed to do. I'd call Princess every day though. No doubt you'll get a different person each time you call which is good....just tell them your sad story each time as though you'd never told anyone before.

It sounds like they reacted to your telling of it the first time quite appropriately as anticipated....they really do want you to have a great cruise

Other than that I agree with the above very much; don't worry about it too much, you're still in for a great cruise no matter what!

Thanks for letting us know how its going!

Archived