Just off the Pearl, was 1st time on NCL

Princess Sassy

We got an upgrade before we left which was wonderful!! We were in the courtyard villas Plumeria suite. Loved the room, loved the tub with ocean view. Loved, loved the bed, best one I have ever had on a cruise. Loved the butler and the courtyard area with terrace above. Loved the breakfast/lunch options at Cagney's and courtyard area. Loved the free ice cream..

Okay, the negatives... I have never been on a cruise where it felt so crowded or cramped. Most of the room is taken up by specialty restaurants it appears, of which, were not normally full. So I would have preferred that space to be where we could walk without bumping into each other and more shopping area. On Princess, the shopping area is much more open and roomy, enough even for sidewalk sales.

I was surprised that the first mini bar, internet service and laundry were not complimentary with the suite as it is on Princess. I also did not like the pushy sales tactics of the spa. I booked a hot stone massage and while I was waiting for my appointment they were trying to book me on another one. After my wonderful massage, the therapist tried to sell me products, when I said no to those, then she tried to sell me other services. I lost all my relaxation from my massage from them trying to sell me other things.

Someone else posted something about the concierge, Erika. We also had a small problem but she has only been on the ship 3 weeks and I felt that she was really trying to make us and the other passengers happy. She is just learning so I am sure that will get better.

The food was good, not great. Never got great service in any of the dining rooms including a specialty restaurant. Never really had to wait which was nice but don't have to on Princess either. I had never experienced freestyle cruising and found that even though I am not always eager for formal night that I do prefer it to be either formal or not. It was weird to see some people dressed up and others in blue jeans in the dining rooms and out and about.

So the pearl has pros and cons as with any ship. So as long as I was in the courtyard area I was quite happy, once I left that area I was not so happy. Sharkbait was by far the best show, the others were just okay.

I would definitely recommend the courtyard villa suites. If I go NCL again, I would want one of those, I think that is what made our trip really nice and enjoyable.

Thanks for the review.

We'll be in the Gem Courtyard in March and all I can do now is hope that it's better than so many of the reviews say. The ONLY reason I've not cancelled my NCL booking is that they leave from NYC. We've got a 10 month old and I just don't feel upto the whole airport/flying thing right now. Dribing to and from Florida would add 4 driving days to the vacation and right now, I'd rather spend that 4 days at work instead of driving.

My in-laws will come from overseas and this might be their 1st and last trip, so we have no choice but to do the cruise now.

I hope my luck is good in March.

Thanks for the review.

We'll be in the Gem Courtyard in March and all I can do now is hope that it's better than so many of the reviews say. The ONLY reason I've not cancelled my NCL booking is that they leave from NYC. We've got a 10 month old and I just don't feel upto the whole airport/flying thing right now. Dribing to and from Florida would add 4 driving days to the vacation and right now, I'd rather spend that 4 days at work instead of driving.

My in-laws will come from overseas and this might be their 1st and last trip, so we have no choice but to do the cruise now.

I hope my luck is good in March.

Hey Jedi,

Gotta keep a PMA man! (positive mental attitude). I've had 2 fantastic NCL cruises, and fully anticipate another next month.

I know you've been tossing around the possibility of a GV. I'm also on the Gem, (March 14th) and just looked and both GVs are booked for my sailing, so I'm out of luck...no GV upsell for me this time :(. Maybe next year:).

Thanks for the review.

We'll be in the Gem Courtyard in March and all I can do now is hope that it's better than so many of the reviews say. ...

Most of the reviews I have read are more positive than negative. Almost every review on every cruiseline has some negatives. Just the way it is. The first poster had a fairly good review and one of the big issues is just a difference between Princess and NCL. NCL made a decisions to NOT have the big atrium shopping type areas that some other ships have. Some people are okay with that, but if you are expecting and need that, then NCL is a big negative.

The SPA thing is a bummer, and is another reason we do not bother with a spa on a cruise. They charge almost obscene prices and then they want to sell stuff. We just skip it.

I would agree with the internet, mini bar, laundry note. Or at least part of it. When you spend so much money for a suite, they should kick in a few hundred bucks worth of goodies. They could bury it in the charge. Bad marketing on NCLs part. But again, that is just the way it is.

We just did the Courtyard which our first after 7 cruises with NCL. It is wonderful.

garycarla,

Are you going to put up a review? We've read a couple of times that you're just back and since you participate so much here, pls let us hear about your trip.

JEDIKNIGHT, you certainly are covering all the bases with your questions about Gem, but I think you will have a better experience than you seem to be thinking. The Gem is fantastic with a great crew led by HD Prem. Be sure to go to the CC Meet & Greet as they truly care about your happiness aboard. Hope your family can just relax and enjoy it.:D

Archived