Anchorage Questions

Retired 07

Hi everybody!

We (4 adults around 60 yrs old) will be in Anchorage for 2 nights this May. Alas, (who says 'alas'?)we only will have 1 full day there. Here's what we were thinking of doing:

1) Rent a car, and drive north looking for wildlife (a hit or miss proposition, I know.)

2) Rent bikes, and ride the Tony Knowles trail. I believe it's 11 miles one-way, but we are in pretty good shape for 'oldies'

3) Go to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation. Not sure how to get there, or how far.

Does anyone have any recommendations about these? One over another? or any other suggestions?

Also, we will be staying at Hawthorn Suites on West 8th Av. Is that walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc?

Thanks for any and all help here.

Hi everybody!

We (4 adults around 60 yrs old) will be in Anchorage for 2 nights this May. Alas, (who says 'alas'?)we only will have 1 full day there. Here's what we were thinking of doing:

1) Rent a car, and drive north looking for wildlife (a hit or miss proposition, I know.)

2) Rent bikes, and ride the Tony Knowles trail. I believe it's 11 miles one-way, but we are in pretty good shape for 'oldies'

3) Go to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation. Not sure how to get there, or how far.

Does anyone have any recommendations about these? One over another? or any other suggestions?

Also, we will be staying at Hawthorn Suites on West 8th Av. Is that walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc?

This isn't the place for "wildlife" viewing via car. Would be pure chance and rare to see any. So unless you just want to spend time in a car, you might want to look at areas of interest to consider instead?? The Wildlife Conservation Center is on the Seward Highway, about an hour drive. A top scenic drive to pull off frequently and enjoy.

Hi everybody!

Your Hawthorn Suites is right next door to a Benihana. You'll be at 8th and L. One of my favorite places is Simon & Seafort's and that's at 4th and L. So that's four blocks north from the Hawthorne.

All the other eating places, Humpy's (6th and F), Orso's and Glacier Brewhouse - 5th between G & H. Humpy's would be 2 blocks north and 6 blocks east and Orso's/Glacier Brewhouse would be 8 blocks north and 5 blocks east.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I have heard (no experience here I will add) that there is some wildlife to be seen at Chugach State Park. I really wanted to visit during our Anchorage stay but do not have time. There seem to be lots of hiking and other activities at this park and it is close by.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/summer.htm

We will also be going to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and are very excited about that. http://www.awcc.org

Hope this helps.

Definity rent the car for one day. Take one of two choices: Drive South to Portage Glacier, Brian Glacier or Drive North to Hatcher's Pass outside of Palmer Alaska. I personally like the drive south. Tim

Hatcher Pass is NOT accessable in May.

Retired, if you have a full day, I think you have options driving north or south. As others have written above, you can drive south along the Turnagain Arm, a very scenic drive. I had one free afternoon in Anchorage after a conference last May, and that's what I did on a spectacular and rare sunny day. You can see some pics here:

Click on "Watch in High Quality" under the picture

You can do a short side trip to Portage Glacier (you won't see the glacier unless you take a short boat ride, but the lake and surrounding area is pretty), and or continue on the Seward highway a short distance to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. You could drive all the way to Seward, and see Exit Glacier there, if you're up for a longer drive. (To me, if you have only one day in Anchorage, and lots of daylight in May, try to squeeze in as much as you can!)

A different alternative is driving north out of Anchorage, to Hatcher Pass, and on to Talkeetna (about 2.5 hours north, not counting stops). It's not as scenic a drive throughout as driving the Turnagain Arm; the reward is a spectacular view of Denali if the mountain is "out." From Talkeetna, you could do a flightseeing tour to the mountain (weather permitting), and still be back in Anchorage in time for dinner.

-- Eric

To reiterate what Budget Queen said - Hatcher Pass won't be open in May. You would only be able to drive up the the start of the pass and then have to turn around and come back. The drive to Portage/AWCC is spectacular and you stand a good chance of spotting wildlife on the drive. AWCC is always a big hit with our guests and I highly recommend it.

Thanks everybody for all the great replies. Personally, I'm leaning toward the bikes on the coastal trail, but 3 other people are involved in this decision. The shuttle co. that we will probably take to Whittier for the ship, says they stop for sightseeing along the way, but, I don't know how long each stop is. They say they stop at portage glacier, and the wildlife center, but I think the whole transfer is only 3.5 hours. We may be better off doing the sightseeing on our own the day before, and then just take a straight shuttle to Whittier.

If you drive south, the Bake Shop in Girdwood is a great place for breakfast or lunch.

If it's really raining, you couldn't do better than the Anchorage Museum at 7th and A.

And they have an excellent Cafe. Actually one of our pricier restaurants here in town, Marx Brothers, have the concession for the museum cafe. So if you can't afford their dinners, I think you could swing the prices at the Museum Cafe.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thank you again! The museum sounded great as a rainy day alternative. Unfortunately, I just looked at their website, and they will be closed from 3/30-5/29 to prepare for a new addition, and we will be there 5/23-5/25. Any other rainy day ideas?

Archived