AFT cabin in Alaskan waters

phinn

I'm gearing myself up to book an Alaskan cruise. I would like to book with either RCI or Celebrity. I have never been in an AFT cabin. I've been on the hump cabins and while they are great, I keep wondering about the AFT cabins. Since I have on occasion used the patch to combat seasickness in the past, I am wondering if I would be doing myself in by booking an AFT cabin. Do the seas in late May, early June make that a poor choice? Are the views worth it? Would love your feedback.

PhinnB

In my opinion aft cabins are great on a sun filled Caribbean itinerary but an Alaskan cruise is full of scenery and I want to see it before the ship gets there and as we sail by. So I would get a good midship balcony cabin particularly with you being prone to motion sickness.

I've had both midship and aft cabins, and I will say that the view from the aft is fantastic. Sure, you are seeing things after the rest of the ship has passed, but the 180 degree view can't be beat. That being said, however, I did feel the motion a bit more being aft than midship. If you are ultra sensitive to motion this could be a problem, but if taking Dramamine or Bonine works for you that could be an easy solution.

P.S. - my last aft cabin was sailing in the Norwegian fjords, so you can't get much better scenery than that and I certainly didn't feel as if I was missing anything.

I'm gearing myself up to book an Alaskan cruise. I would like to book with either RCI or Celebrity. I have never been in an AFT cabin. I've been on the hump cabins and while they are great, I keep wondering about the AFT cabins. Since I have on occasion used the patch to combat seasickness in the past, I am wondering if I would be doing myself in by booking an AFT cabin. Do the seas in late May, early June make that a poor choice? Are the views worth it? Would love your feedback.

PhinnB

We enjoyed the views from our aft cabin! Also it was great because there was no wind on our aft deck.

IMG_2919.jpg.3a48228b7720a31c6b70d8c3beca39e9.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg.acb3a3eb38e94d00e104346873b54990.jpg

135_3573.jpg.78ece04460601834da8110949c986719.jpg

136_3641.jpg.64b21ed80751face8a535e11453dda72.jpg

Sailed in an aft balcony to Alaska on another cruiseline a few years ago and have to say it was the best cruise we've had so far in 25 cruises. While some pax were bundled up in coats and sweaters in the forward area of the ship, we stood out on our balcony in shorts and T-shirts. DH actually got a sunburn sailing away from Glacier Bay.

And talk about the views! We spent every night on our way back from Glacier Bay to Seattle standing on our balcony and marveling at the sights. We had the Big Dipper gleaming in the dark blue sky above us and the deep blue waters and swish of the ship's wake below us.

An unbelievable experience to be sure.

Dianne

We had an aft last year on the Millennium in Alaska 060608. And, I too, got sunburned while viewing Hubbard Glacier as I was in shorts and a tank top out on our deck. It was so protected! My friends were looking down at us from the open deck eating area on aft 10 and they were all bundled up because of the wind. I would highly recommend one of the aft CC's if you can get one! :D

Hi Phinn,

This is a trip that was on my "bucket list". We were lucky enough to snag an AFT cabin back in 2003 on an Alaskan cruise. It was the end of May just before the mosquitos get bad. We had a wrap around deck and the views were absolutely magnificent. We woke up the first morning in the College Fjords and we just came out in a sweater and enjoyed the beauty of nature that totally surrounded us. It will be one of the memories that I will always have with me. I am attaching a photo ( I hope, never did it before) taken from our balcony.

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. It is a trip of a lifetime.

We are heading to the Caribbean in April aboard the Celebrity Summit. Can't wait. Cold weather here in Delaware.

Enjoy!

WooHoo! I think I did send the photos

1837456301_AftPhoto1.jpg.4f0a31f5e84c3576b25c504889b2b050.jpg

Archived